Porcelain licsense plates

Heathermmc77

I can’t speak directly about Wichita, but many cities issued license plates in the early years. There was a large collection of Portland Maine plates at the Seals Cove museum back before the owner died and a large part of the collection was auctioned off. I have to believe you’re plate was issued in Wichita before Kansas had issued plates. It is certainly a great piece of automotive history from the earliest years of the automobile!

License plates are a huge area of collectibles! Probably as difficult to know all the ins, outs, details, and values as 78 rpm records are!

Way back in the days before states grabbed the booty of licensing automobiles, and long before the Feds ended up regulating a deal for states to honor the licensing from other states, many local municipalities and specialty governing bodies tried to grab pieces of that pie. In many places, major city parks even required special licenses to drive within their boundaries! A few years ago (on another antique automobile forum) there was quite a discussion of a famous (?) park in Boston Massachusetts (I personally am not familiar with the park having lived most of my life near the Left coast). Apparently they collected substantial sums from the well-to-do allowing them to show off themselves in their automobiles back around the turn of 1900. Some cities required licenses even before their states did. Cars often had three or four (sometimes even more!) license tags because of various "driver zones" requiring them. Many states required a license tag and annual fee to drive within their boundaries for even a day. This was sometimes overlooked for travelers passing through, but often only after a fine was paid. People that worked in the District of Columbia usually had to always have two plates (at least!) on their cars because DC and the neighboring state they lived in both required it!

In Califunny, the Golden Gate Park required a license to drive within the park a couple years before the state began requiring fees and tags.

I understand that quite a number of parks around the 45 states did so. Oklahoma, New Mexico,and Arizona were not yet states then. Territories become a whole other area to study!

16 hours ago, Heathermmc77 said:

Does anybody know anything about these?  

80150EC0-B80E-41FE-A355-0A006075D8BE.jpeg

Nice find ! 

I'm sure someone on here can use it.

Is it located in Kansas and is it for sale ?

I have no interest, just wanting to clarify for all readers...

Thanks for posting it.