1929 Ford Model A Sport Coupe - $33,000 - not mine

31 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Not a roadster. Sport coupe.

I'm not, by any means, an expert on the Ford Model A, or any other car, for that matter.  I went back and re-examined the photos.  I guess roadster would indicate side curtains, which this car apparently does not have.  I see what looks like a window crank, so maybe this car has roll up windows, and therefore the sport coupe nomenclature?

Thank you for the correction.

A roadster is usually folding windshield with no side windows.  A Cabriolet or Convertible is a fixed windshield with roll up windows and a folding top.  The Sport Coupe is much like the convertible but it has a fixed top,   that only looks like it folds.  Usually you can see the fixed upper door frames  as well on a sport coupe.  These are rough definitions and companies often used them to their advantage,  such as roadsters that were really convertibles for marketing purposes to make cars sound sportier. 

• Like 1

Agree, nice driver and play-thing, but for the purist, I see some incorrect restoration. $10-12K seems realistic to me.

Terry

• Like 1

It doesn't take long to find out how much one doesn't know about antique cars, but, these forums are a great place to start.  The owner has had the car for only a few months - I've known him for a couple of years or so, and I had no idea that he had an interest in such things.  This past Sunday, it was in his front yard with a For Sale sign.  I was shocked to find out it belonged to him.

He's a super nice guy.  I simply told him I'd put some photos on this site, along with some of the info from his sign.  It's also listed on Facebook Marketplace.  I didn't offer an opinion on whether or not his price was realistic, because I didn't really know, one way or the other.

I do know that one non-original thing is the six volt alternator - it was one of the first things he mentioned after opening the hood.  I believe it has been driven about 700 miles since the engine was fully rebuilt.  I wondered if the upholstery patterns were of the original type - again, I asked no questions.

Many thanks for everyone's input.

Edited by Dosmo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Great cars, and I like the sport coupe look, a little bit of elegance.  Market prefers 5 window standard coupes I suspect as both rodders and restorers tend to go gor them more.  As Terry says, its a driver.  Hope your friend is speculating and did not pay that for it.. 🙂

• Like 2

On 11/21/2019 at 2:51 PM, Dosmo said:

...I do know that one non-original thing is the six volt alternator...

Well, here's a few  more – there probably are more still...

red body, no pin-striping, cream wheels - see correct colors at https://model-a-ford.org/resources/technical-reference/general-information/19281929-closed/

don’t think upholstery pattern is correct and material definitely is not – should be cloth

chrome(?) windshield frame, headlight bar, and taillight stands - should be painted

plastic (?) rear window should be metal-framed glass and smaller

steering wheel/light switch is 30-31 style and column support is 1931 only

engine splash pans are missing

serial number tag, turn signals, passenger-side taillight, carb air cleaner, distributor heat shield, and hood prop are not original equipment

landau irons are upside-down and on the wrong sides – passenger side should look like letter “S" with fake center knob toward rear; driver side should look like backward “S” with center knob to rear

All that said, it looks like a nice non-original driver but asking price is at least three times reality.