KEK

1925 Starter spins but won’t turn engine

Yes I typed zerk but that darn spell check changed it. Same with ‘tease” above when I asked if I should grease my starting gears. LOL. 

Hugh - 

Yes the shaft has the hole and I can grease the zerk and add oil to the cup to lubricate the shaft but should I also apply grease directly on the teeth on the two starter gears? 

I never received your PM but have a lead on the part. Not sure yet.

Ken 

Ken, 

The flywheel ring gear is not typically greased, nor is the starter gear.  That being said, it would not hurt in my opinion.  I did put some grease on mine and I used an old toothbrush so that it was just a very light film.     Hugh

• Like 1

I generally don't grease or oil anything that's not listed in the book, as I don't know where it might end up :o

• Like 1

That was my concern as well so I thought I would ask the question. The clutch plates are nearby and it would not be good to sling grease all over the place. But it probably wouldn’t hurt to add a little as Hugh suggests with a toothbrush. I don’t know why my starter assembly gear failed so adding a ‘very little’ amount of grease wouldn’t hurt once I find a replacement.  My other thought is perhaps the assembly wasn’t adjusted properly. Does anyone know if these sliding gear assemblies need to be adjusted and if so how do you adjust it.