Sad news....Walter Miller passed away

keiser31

A real loss to the hobby. He was quite the collector and a friend to many.  RIP, we'll miss you.

Terry

• Like 1

I heard about this yesterday. I corresponded with Walter a little over the last 8 years and bought a few pieces, then was surprised to learn autolit.com was closing because of illness. Since then I saw a couple reports of him at a show, or displaying a recent purchase, and was starting to think things were better. I never met him in person but will say he had excellent taste in cars.

I remember him advertising literature in Hemmings when I was in high school. Bought a few things from him over the years. Never met him in person, but got to know him a bit better on this forum. He will truly be missed by so many. My deepest condolences to his family and close friends.

Mr. Miller struck me as a very decent guy, well-informed, and reasonable in his dealings.

Over the years I've bought a good many items from him, and appreciate the depth and quality he provided.

Condolence to Walt's family.

I saw that on Hemmings blog yesterday. Sad news. He was very active in several of the Facebook car groups I'm in and his posts always were informative and entertaining. He has two younger children as well, I was 17 when cancer took my dad so I know exactly the pain they are going through right now. 

Walter was very kind to me when I was younger and, although I'm sure he never realized it, was definitely a positive role model and source of inspiration for my brother and I. I can remember him pulling in with his Porsche 928, pulling his tall frame out of the car sneakers first and instantly just being an intelligent, confident, cool character who made it kind of hip to be different and like old things. He was one of a kind and we had never met anyone like him. He spent some time with us poking through old treasures and were surprised when he even went up the tight crawl space into the upper loft of the old hop-house to see a few pieces (something that our father or any other older person that we knew of would never have done!). I saw him over the years at shows and he was always the consummate gentleman taking a minute no matter what he was busy with to chat my family and encourage us in our collecting. Aside from all of the advice he gave us I am thankful for one other thing he did for us. -When I was 16 he told us about an auction they were having north of us at this crazy Stutz guy's farm in the woods up in East Orange, Vermont; he encouraged us to check it out explaining that it was probably a life experience not to be missed. He was right.  

Edited by md murray (see edit history)