1936 Chevy Inside Door Handle Removable???

mribbich@wi.rr.com

Somewhere in the 30's the clips were made a little larger, I am not sure when.  These tools are available in both sizes. I never tried a Paperclip as Keiser31 has suggested but have used an ice pick.

download.jpg

2990060.jpg

I have had zero luck with the "slide it under" tool shown on my Pontiac (although it works fine on newer GM products). My Pontiac has literally the same door handles and bezels shown in the pics above. I like the paper clip idea, or a pick if you can make enough room to get it in. The trick is you need to hook one end and roll the clip sideways to get it out. The clip looks like Tinindian's pic. The clip is between the black bezel and the chrome handle.

There is a tool with a c-shaped slot in the side to roll the clip out, but I could not find a pic online. I couldn't find my tool either.

Hey mribbich@wi.rr.com, those doors look pretty solid! Are the bottoms there? More to the point does that car have back doors? Are the bottoms still in those? I would love to see some pictures if so.

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

I have had zero luck with the "slide it under" tool shown on my Pontiac (although it works fine on newer GM products). My Pontiac has literally the same door handles and bezels shown in the pics above. I like the paper clip idea, or a pick if you can make enough room to get it in. The trick is you need to hook one end and roll the clip sideways to get it out. The clip looks like Tinindian's pic. The clip is between the black bezel and the chrome handle.

There is a tool with a c-shaped slot in the side to roll the clip out, but I could not find a pic online. I couldn't find my tool either.

Hey mribbich@wi.rr.com, those doors look pretty solid! Are the bottoms there? More to the point does that car have back doors? Are the bottoms still in those? I would love to see some pictures if so.

The reason the tool doesn’t work is the tools they sell are for the more modern, larger c clips. The handles and clips were specifically designed that the open ends of the clips face the long length of the handle or crank. I’ve taken a old hack saw blade and ground a “V” notch in the end. Slip the blade between the escutcheon top and the handle hub, staying parallel with the handle. Remember, you want to push the blade in from the end of the handle or crank towards the hub. The thin blade with the sharp groove ground in it will hook one side of the clip and push/rotate it out of the handle. Push in on the handle center towards the door slightly to remove any pressure off the clip. Many handles have a stiff any rattle spring in the center to put pressure on the clip. Another thing is sometimes the white metal handles corrode and the clips get stuck in the groove making it somewhat of a chore to get the clip out. I have removed hundreds of handles this way.

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have tools for 2 sizes.....

It didn't work on those cranks like in the picture because the groove the tool needs to slide through was not cut all the way like a later handle is. Past the tips of the clip, the groove just stops. There is no way for the tool to slide in.

I like your hacksaw idea.

• Like 1

I take a piece of wire. Bend just the very tip into a tiny hook. The hook at the end is just about 1/8 th inch only. Bend it over so it is just a bit over 90 degrees.

Slide it in, going in flat, get behind the clip, then rotate the wire 90 degrees so you snag the clip with the hook end, then pull it out.

• Like 2

Here’s another tip on window crank handle knobs that don’t turn on the handle. When you find stuck knobs, in most cases it’s because the white metal has swelled enough to jam the bottom turned in edge of the knob. I run a xacto razor saw blade right around the joint, removing the swollen metal and often some corrosion that is in that joint.

• Like 2

I think you either need to make a hook, and pull it out. Grab with the hook at the back, curved part of the clip.

Or make a custom tool from a piece of scrap metal to push it out. Push against one of the tips of the clip. Push against one of the tips and get it part way off, then push against the other tip. The tool would be something like a slot screwdriver, but with a notch filed in the tip, so it can push the tip of the clip, without slipping off.

It sounds like the pot metal has corroded some and the clip is stuck in the groove. You can use a long thin bladed flat screwdriver and push on one ear of the clip. When they’re stuck in the groove, pushing on the one side will roll the clip out. As I mentioned before, there’s a good chance there’s a stout spring in the center of the handle post pushing out on the handle. This spring will also make the clip hard to pull out. Tap down on the center of the handle with a rubber mallet. Often this will loosen the clip up in groove.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...