Sign in to follow this  
AlanM

PA Turnpike Tolls during Hershey week

On 11/19/2019 at 3:30 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Well, it looks as if Charlie solved the mystery.  Congratulations,

Charlie!  Evidently, a flat $10 charge is assessed, regardless

of distance, if the EZ-Pass signal can't be read.

I had never heard of that before.

Actually I heard about this from another AACA member (not on the forum) early this year because it happened to them. In their case their transponder battery had died and they did not know it. Since the PA Turnpike removed the gates at their toll plazas it is difficult to know if the transponder battery is dead. Since I have an old transponder I was concerned myself before my towing trip to Auburn this year. FYI, using EZ-Pass I saved about $44 over the cost of the cash price for the trip 

$34 from the PA Turnpike and $10 from the Ohio Turnpike. The other advantage of the EZ-Pass was not having to have an extra $150 in cash to pay the tolls for this trip.

Sadly, the PA Turnpike will be increasing tolls every year for the next 25 years. I think we should send Thank You letters to all the idiot politicians in Harrisburg that passed a law that requires the PA Turnpike to give PENNDOT $450 Million each year, (started in 2009)  through the year 2022, and then $50 Million each year through 2057. That's about 24 BILLION dollars in funding for Non-Turnpike projects (ie PENNDOT projects) that have ZERO BENEFIT for the Turnpike and the people using it. 

The cost of posting mile marker signs on the PA Turnpike is a DROP in the Atlantic Ocean compared to the BILLIONS of dollars being taken from the PA Turnpike to fund PENNDOT. FYI, the PA Turnpike and PENNDOT are two totally different, independent, agencies.

• Like 1

This year I was thankful for the markers,we broke ,moterhome and trailer.Still do not like the fees .our best way to get there..it will not change.

.it will not change.

buy maybe, some of us will use the turnpike less or just stop going to Hershey altogether, as I have.

same as ebay and the states taking tax. I buy much less on ebay these days. my choice.

I understand the complaint about the toll costs.

I am just trying to figure out why you would use the turnpike for these trips when I-83 north to Rt 322 would be just as fast if not quicker with no tolls.

To close out my original thread, the PA TPKE just reimbursed me for the total amount of the overcharge after I submitted the required dispute form that I downloaded from their site.

I also called the VA EZPASS office and told them about the incident and they are sending me new transponders for both of my cars.

• Like 4

Of course if you drive US 30 near Somerset you will pass the spot where one of the Duesenberg brothers was killed.  He was taken to the hospital in a 1932 Packard ambulance. The remains of that ambulance,  a 900 Light 8,  still existed in the 1980s.