PA Turnpike Tolls during Hershey week

AlanM

During Hershey week I stay at a hotel in New Cumberland and it is located on I-83 near the PA Turnpike Harrisburg West Shore toll booth.  During the week I made eight trips between the Harrisburg West and Harrisburg EAST Shore exits going to and from Hershey.  Soon after I got home, my EZPASS account was replenished two times within a few days.  When I checked my EZPASS account (Virginia EZPASS) I found that I had been charged $10 for each trip between the two exits for a total of $80.  The normal toll for these trips according to the PA Turnpike web site is $1.40.  (For 2 axle, four wheel vehicles.)

The VA EZPASS customer service said I had to take it up with the PA Turnpike.  I called them and all they did was tell me where to go on their web site to get a form to print, fill out, and submit to dispute the tolls.

No reply from them yet, but there might be others that made the same trip that week and you might want to check your EZPASS account to see what you were charged.

16 hours ago, charlier said:

You should read the following article about V-Tolls on the PA Turnpike. Either your transponder is not mounted properly or it has a dead battery.

Information about the $10 V-Toll

Well, it looks as if Charlie solved the mystery.  Congratulations,

Charlie!  Evidently, a flat $10 charge is assessed, regardless

of distance, if the EZ-Pass signal can't be read.

I had never heard of that before.

The article in the link gives a phone number to call

when there is a problem:

"As a one-time courtesy, the turnpike will adjust V-toll charges

within 90 days of the date of a charge if the customer calls

the service center at 1 (877) 736-6727 or stops in the

Swatara Township [Harrisburg area] center located at 300 East Park Drive." 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Thank you for the information.  My transponder is mounted correctly and has been in the same place for years.  I had been wondering how we are supposed to know when the battery is low and needs to be replaced.  I need to investigate that.  I submitted the form, but will try the phone number also.

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Talk about big brother bending you over..........10 bucks... 

Ten dollars for a generic amount actually seems to me

like a fair average:  Someone traveling over half the state

and then not registering his EZ-Pass could have a charge

well over ten dollars.

The Penna. Turnpike's tolls are too high, though, I will agree.

• Like 1

I came from the outter edge of OH 2 months ago and was assessed 28. for going about 5 exits into PA......... then hit for another 65. to take the rest of the turnpike east.

good news is I didnt have a tag on my new trailer, or I would have been hit for over 40. more!  PA is as insane as NJ anymore.

time for the big move outta here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 hours ago, AlanM said:

Thank you for the information.  My transponder is mounted correctly and has been in the same place for years.  I had been wondering how we are supposed to know when the battery is low and needs to be replaced.  I need to investigate that.  I submitted the form, but will try the phone number also.

Thanks again.

In Florida I changed my battery Once a year like smoke detectors,of course that was early 2000's maybe they use lithium battery's now, Good luck with Big brother and it's heavy arm with your wallet

6 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Drive old US 30 from Irwin to Harrisburg once and you will happily pay whatever the Turnpike charges.

Finally I can concur, Jeff.  That extremely treacherous stretch not to mention traffic lights would drive someone nuts if trying to keep on a schedule.

Coincidentally just last week I received a letter from EZ Pass that my transponder battery is getting weak.  By not responding they will send a new one plus an envelope for me to mail the old transponder back postage prepaid by them.

Peter J.

• Like 1

Not directly related to tolls, but who else thinks the PA turnpike mile markers positioned every tenth of a mile is proof that someone's brother-in-law owns a sign company. Personally, I think it one of the dumbest ideas to come down the pike.

51 minutes ago, dep5 said:

Not directly related to tolls, but who else thinks the PA turnpike mile markers positioned every tenth of a mile is proof that someone's brother-in-law owns a sign company. Personally, I think it one of the dumbest ideas to come down the pike.

If not directly related then why did you post it?  All you have to do is start a new topic.  The OP was seeking assistance.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, dep5 said:

There certainly should be no objection to mentioning this.

Dep5 has no need to explain or justify his opinion.

It's relevant to any Hershey visitor who uses the Penna. Turnpike.

Some threads go 'way off topic.  Such as a recent ad for

car storage in Pennsylvania where people finished by

talking about storage and life on Long Island!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Coincidentally just last week I received a letter from EZ Pass that my transponder battery is getting weak.  By not responding they will send a new one plus an envelope for me to mail the old transponder back postage prepaid by them.

14 hours ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

If not directly related then why did you post it?  All you have to do is start a new topic.  The OP was seeking assistance.  

I suppose one might ask the same question regarding your recent posts............................Bob

I held out buying an EX Pass for a long time thinking I was doing my small part in keeping the toll teller's jobs. At one exit I was fumbling with my payment and told the young woman  my intent. She said "Oh, buy the pass. We get all kinds of overtime correcting EZ Pass mistakes. Got my pass that trip.

Bernie

On 11/19/2019 at 3:30 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Well, it looks as if Charlie solved the mystery.  Congratulations,

Charlie!  Evidently, a flat $10 charge is assessed, regardless

of distance, if the EZ-Pass signal can't be read.

I had never heard of that before.

Actually I heard about this from another AACA member (not on the forum) early this year because it happened to them. In their case their transponder battery had died and they did not know it. Since the PA Turnpike removed the gates at their toll plazas it is difficult to know if the transponder battery is dead. Since I have an old transponder I was concerned myself before my towing trip to Auburn this year. FYI, using EZ-Pass I saved about $44 over the cost of the cash price for the trip 

$34 from the PA Turnpike and $10 from the Ohio Turnpike. The other advantage of the EZ-Pass was not having to have an extra $150 in cash to pay the tolls for this trip.

Sadly, the PA Turnpike will be increasing tolls every year for the next 25 years. I think we should send Thank You letters to all the idiot politicians in Harrisburg that passed a law that requires the PA Turnpike to give PENNDOT $450 Million each year, (started in 2009)  through the year 2022, and then $50 Million each year through 2057. That's about 24 BILLION dollars in funding for Non-Turnpike projects (ie PENNDOT projects) that have ZERO BENEFIT for the Turnpike and the people using it. 

The cost of posting mile marker signs on the PA Turnpike is a DROP in the Atlantic Ocean compared to the BILLIONS of dollars being taken from the PA Turnpike to fund PENNDOT. FYI, the PA Turnpike and PENNDOT are two totally different, independent, agencies.

• Like 1

To close out my original thread, the PA TPKE just reimbursed me for the total amount of the overcharge after I submitted the required dispute form that I downloaded from their site.

I also called the VA EZPASS office and told them about the incident and they are sending me new transponders for both of my cars.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I have stopped using the turnpike since the increases to cover the PENNDOT fees kicked in along with the fact that they actually penalize me for not allowing them to install what is basically a tracking transponder in each of my vehicles and to have to maintain an account with my money in it that only they have access to.  I will only use the turnpike if it is truly an unavoidable emergency situation, and I haven't had one yet that I haven't been able to get to by an alternate route.  Government gets enough of our money and has enough information on our actions, screw them!

4 minutes ago, franklinman said:

I have stopped using the turnpike since the increases to cover the PENNDOT fees kicked in along with the fact that they actually penalize me for not allowing them to install what is basically a tracking transponder in each of my vehicles and to have to maintain an account with my money in it that only they have access to.  I will only use the turnpike if it is truly an unavoidable emergency situation, and I haven't had one yet that I haven't been able to get to by an alternate route.  Government gets enough of our money and has enough information on our actions, screw them!

It's passive RFID. Nobody can track you unless you drive within range of the reading unit. The actual transponders are unpowered and only echo back a unique identifier when triggered by the units at the gate. They can't send a tracking signal of any kind except when you enter or exit the turnpike, so nobody knows where you are unless you're, you know, on the turnpike.

By the way, what exactly are you doing that makes you think the government should be interested in knowing your whereabouts?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

It's passive RFID. Nobody can track you unless you drive within range of the reading unit. The actual transponders are unpowered and only echo back a unique identifier when triggered by the units at the gate. They can't send a tracking signal of any kind except when you enter or exit the turnpike, so nobody knows where you are unless you're, you know, on the turnpike.

By the way, what exactly are you doing that makes you think the government should be interested in knowing your whereabouts?

In addition should someone decline an EZ-Pass transponder and use a more expensive paper ticket or receive a bill in the mail for the toll it offers tracking.  On a paper ticket or bill is printed your booth entry number,  travel date, time, direction and so forth thus manually one could easily calculate the time it took you to travel between on and off toll booth mileage numbers. These units today take a photo of your license plate so it means nothing if you have transponder or not.  Example:  I get on at Lebanon/Lancaster booth (mile marker 266) and drive at 120 mph to exit at the Reading exit (mile marker 187) state police or PennDOT can easily read these and a summons could be sent to me.

Some years ago a case made the news about a Philadelphia plumber driving a company van at over 95 mph on the NJ Turnpike.  No EZ-Pass back then.  The computer raised a red flag, the van owner (the guy's boss) received a very large fine and the driver is working elsewhere.

1 hour ago, franklinman said:

If you use the TP your plate is photographed/time stamped every time. Your cell phone leaves a trail of bread crumbs a mile wide. Even my rural police have plate readers that check every plate they observe against a data base. Face recognition cameras are proliferating at a great rate. Every credit card useage is recorded, stored and mined for YOUR habits and travels. Your last post is, right now, in someone's data base. Don't be surprised if you start seeing pop ups for survival gear.

I've only scratched the surface.

Likely at some point we will all have micro transponders implanted up our butts with constant monitoring of our actions, emotions, state of health etc etc etc. Of course it will all be for our own and the GREATER good.

So, If you, for some reason, are trying to avoid routine tracking and I.D. it's too late. Your only option is to move off grid someplace in the far boonies.............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Maybe I didn't word that the best I could, but my point was that unless you opt for the transponder you are penalized with higher toll fees.  Personally, I don't care if anyone knows where I drive.  I do have an issue with the Government using the reasoning that having the transponders saves the turnpike money rather than hiring toll collectors to justify the higher tolls.  The problem of the higher tolls is the money the turnpike has to give to PennDot each year due to government mismanagement. 

14 hours ago, ted sweet said:

i really miss the long lines when we used tickets and paid cash

I miss throwing a hand full of coins into the exact change chute and one coin misses. Or my very favorite, the person in front of you asking the toll collector for directions. ..........repeatedly..................Bob