Sign in to follow this  
AlanM

PA Turnpike Tolls during Hershey week

During Hershey week I stay at a hotel in New Cumberland and it is located on I-83 near the PA Turnpike Harrisburg West Shore toll booth.  During the week I made eight trips between the Harrisburg West and Harrisburg EAST Shore exits going to and from Hershey.  Soon after I got home, my EZPASS account was replenished two times within a few days.  When I checked my EZPASS account (Virginia EZPASS) I found that I had been charged $10 for each trip between the two exits for a total of $80.  The normal toll for these trips according to the PA Turnpike web site is $1.40.  (For 2 axle, four wheel vehicles.)

The VA EZPASS customer service said I had to take it up with the PA Turnpike.  I called them and all they did was tell me where to go on their web site to get a form to print, fill out, and submit to dispute the tolls.

No reply from them yet, but there might be others that made the same trip that week and you might want to check your EZPASS account to see what you were charged.

Ever heard of the term”the Hershey premium”!🤣

I was close to that area and my EZ Tag is correct although I didn't like the big tolls the day of the show when I had to move my trailer.  The axle sensor/counter was correct.

Robert

16 hours ago, charlier said:

You should read the following article about V-Tolls on the PA Turnpike. Either your transponder is not mounted properly or it has a dead battery.

Information about the $10 V-Toll

Well, it looks as if Charlie solved the mystery.  Congratulations,

Charlie!  Evidently, a flat $10 charge is assessed, regardless

of distance, if the EZ-Pass signal can't be read.

I had never heard of that before.

The article in the link gives a phone number to call

when there is a problem:

"As a one-time courtesy, the turnpike will adjust V-toll charges

within 90 days of the date of a charge if the customer calls

the service center at 1 (877) 736-6727 or stops in the

Swatara Township [Harrisburg area] center located at 300 East Park Drive." 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Talk about big brother bending you over..........10 bucks and shove it...........

Thank you for the information.  My transponder is mounted correctly and has been in the same place for years.  I had been wondering how we are supposed to know when the battery is low and needs to be replaced.  I need to investigate that.  I submitted the form, but will try the phone number also.

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Talk about big brother bending you over..........10 bucks... 

Ten dollars for a generic amount actually seems to me

like a fair average:  Someone traveling over half the state

and then not registering his EZ-Pass could have a charge

well over ten dollars.

The Penna. Turnpike's tolls are too high, though, I will agree.

• Like 1

I came from the outter edge of OH 2 months ago and was assessed 28. for going about 5 exits into PA......... then hit for another 65. to take the rest of the turnpike east.

good news is I didnt have a tag on my new trailer, or I would have been hit for over 40. more!  PA is as insane as NJ anymore.

time for the big move outta here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 hours ago, AlanM said:

Thank you for the information.  My transponder is mounted correctly and has been in the same place for years.  I had been wondering how we are supposed to know when the battery is low and needs to be replaced.  I need to investigate that.  I submitted the form, but will try the phone number also.

Thanks again.

In Florida I changed my battery Once a year like smoke detectors,of course that was early 2000's maybe they use lithium battery's now, Good luck with Big brother and it's heavy arm with your wallet

Drive old US 30 from Irwin to Harrisburg once and you will happily pay whatever the Turnpike charges.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Drive old US 30 from Irwin to Harrisburg once and you will happily pay whatever the Turnpike charges.

I love the Lincoln Highway--time permitting of course.

6 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Finally I can concur, Jeff.  That extremely treacherous stretch not to mention traffic lights would drive someone nuts if trying to keep on a schedule.

Coincidentally just last week I received a letter from EZ Pass that my transponder battery is getting weak.  By not responding they will send a new one plus an envelope for me to mail the old transponder back postage prepaid by them.

Peter J.

Not directly related to tolls, but who else thinks the PA turnpike mile markers positioned every tenth of a mile is proof that someone's brother-in-law owns a sign company. Personally, I think it one of the dumbest ideas to come down the pike.

That’s why you pay so much! No one can find ways to save money those idiots always got to find ways to blow it and increase the tolls

lol

51 minutes ago, dep5 said:

Not directly related to tolls, but who else thinks the PA turnpike mile markers positioned every tenth of a mile is proof that someone's brother-in-law owns a sign company. Personally, I think it one of the dumbest ideas to come down the pike.

If not directly related then why did you post it?  All you have to do is start a new topic.  The OP was seeking assistance.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

If not directly related then why did you post it? 

Obviously my post hurt your feelings. Sorry I left a bad taste in your mouth.

Solution:

Avoid over charges by getting rid of the transponder, and going back to paying by cash if you have extra time on your journey.

Good Luck

14 hours ago, dep5 said:

There certainly should be no objection to mentioning this.

Dep5 has no need to explain or justify his opinion.

It's relevant to any Hershey visitor who uses the Penna. Turnpike.

Some threads go 'way off topic.  Such as a recent ad for

car storage in Pennsylvania where people finished by

talking about storage and life on Long Island!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Coincidentally just last week I received a letter from EZ Pass that my transponder battery is getting weak.  By not responding they will send a new one plus an envelope for me to mail the old transponder back postage prepaid by them.

14 hours ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

If not directly related then why did you post it?  All you have to do is start a new topic.  The OP was seeking assistance.  

I suppose one might ask the same question regarding your recent posts............................Bob

I held out buying an EX Pass for a long time thinking I was doing my small part in keeping the toll teller's jobs. At one exit I was fumbling with my payment and told the young woman  my intent. She said "Oh, buy the pass. We get all kinds of overtime correcting EZ Pass mistakes. Got my pass that trip.

Bernie