Walt G

Pierce limousine and Packard LeBaron prewar cars in postwar era

It was sold in the early 1970s, along with a Delahaye 135MS. Traded up to a Packard. The Delahaye photo was taken around 1969, the Packard photo was taken around 1973.

Both the Bugatti and the Delahaye are now in Europe. I've also included current photos of each car as they exist today.

1939-delehaye-3_orig.jpg

George1979.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 7.54.52 AM.png

lf17_r148_002.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 58L-Y8 said:

So the Delahaye 135MS became a cabriolet along the way...

Yes. A guy in California did that.

12 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

OK, That Packard makes for a good trade. How many real ones were made? Bob 

Estimated that about 39 may have been built. Six known to exist today. The original owner of our car was just 21 years old when he bought it.

• Like 1

Although it looks very well done and period correct, those coach-built European pillarless touring coupes are unique and just as worthy of preservation.  Sorry that one has been lost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

Another Pierce Arrow...

2052034005_PierceArrow2.thumb.jpg.62134fd64c7043a86150dfd4f9e47fdf.jpg

It runs and drives well, I was talking to the owner this afternoon.

Here it is on tour a few years ago.....

47C09BF2-DDDA-456C-BCBE-15BED055A6F6.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

It runs and drives well, I was talking to the owner this afternoon.

Here it is on tour a few years ago.....

Same Paint as the as the 1950s picture?

My apologies as also posted before.  Taken around 1933 in the pit area of a race track in NJ.

schumacherWebCleanedUP.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My Apologies for the terrible photo quality but the check image is priceless! Keith Marvin wrote that he once passed on a Model J in the late 1940's because he felt that the $450 asking price was just too much!

check.png

• Like 2

1910 Pope Hartford - picture taken in 1910. Although its a black & white photo, the car is a deep maroon color and was completely unrestored. I only know this because I've seen it - it belonged to a gentleman in RI back in the 70s and it was at the first antique car show I attended (with Arthur Mellor in the Packard Waterhouse shown earlier).

736805495_1910PopeHartford.thumb.jpg.6155d6f538cb1987817767039a6a8c7d.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alsancle said:

To stay on the Rolls theme.   1957 in Ohio.

RollsMeet1957-3.jpg

This RR PI Tilbury was owned at the time by Cincinnatian Al Fisk and is now owned by AACA forum member "Motoringicons" - it is an upgraded original car and other than engine work, maintenance, and tires it probably has had little change to it from when this photo was taken.  

The 25/30 next to that was owned by Herb Krombholz a local Cincinnati Jeweler and the car was sold in late 90's to an employee and eventually I believe it made it's way back to England.  Shawn Miller and I recently sold their 1925 RR PI Mulliner Touring upon Herb & Mary's death about three years ago. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

More from the same batch in 1957.

RollsMeet1957-4.jpg

The 1931 Cadillac V-12 Convertible Sedan (by the sign) was also owned by Al Fisk, then bought by the Perin's  and was sold perhaps 10 years ago (it was a dark red with black fenders and redish/orange wheels with stainless spokes).  The 1929 Lincoln (three in from the right) is a leather topped "top Hat' Limousine and was owned by Tom Peuhl, a former Cincinnati Reds baseball player - last time I saw it was perhaps 12 years ago and it was a "spectacular" original condition totally untouched all be it with ancient truck tires - black with alligatored red paint on the brake drums (interestingly being a black car and having factory tan canvas sidemount tire covers)  - it originally was a City of Cincinnati Mayor's vehicle - I lost track of it and do not know where it went after Tom & Betty's death (use to see them once a month at local British car club activities - they also had a Type 57C Bugatti Gangloff bodied Convertible Victoria that occasionally made it out to Cincinnati/Ault Park Concours). The 1938 Cadillac 75 Series Cabriolet stayed around town until the 80's - it had a tank engine installed and still ran just as bad as it did before that - doubt it ever finished an AACA tour no matter how hard they tried. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for adding photos and more importantly the ownership history of many of the cars. Bob 

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

Same Paint as the as the 1950s picture?

Yes....same paint.......long term northern barn storage .......

• Like 1

I don't believe this picture has ever been published before.  It is up for auction and there is a separate thread discussing it.

Duesenberg-J118-Web.jpg

• Like 1

The Duesenberg B&S sedan belongs to a good friend.