Walt G

Pierce limousine and Packard LeBaron prewar cars in postwar era

An Iron head PI Newmarket. This was taken on Cape Cod, I think in 1948. It has the later bumpers and tool boxes so it was probably updated by RR of America at some point. I think the only aluminum head cars with drum headlights were the FR series in 1929 and they had the tubular bumpers as well. (I could be wrong about that, its been a very long time since I was working on RRs...but I had S193FR with drum headlights and it was a 29.

1303837179_PINewmarket.thumb.jpg.03a9c9a922016af7447057ced2ec8d02.jpg

• Like 3

1911 Silver Ghost with wooden wheels rebodied in the 1920s. To my eye it looks like an American body. Picture was taken by the Charles River in Cambridge in October of 1949. I'll bet the car sill exists but that this body was replaced long ago. In a sense, that is really too bad because an important part of it's history has probably been erased.

560927722_1911SGRebodied.thumb.jpg.54e77e9cf744e5ac2b71cc4e7f576547.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/17/2019 at 8:37 PM, edinmass said:

One of the six Beverly’s built.........if memory serves me correct. Notice the lack of “junk” also known as accessories that are NOT on the car.......no lights, mirrors, side mount covers, mascot............notice also no chrome wire wheels. Car has great lines and an excellent look. Today there would probably be a ton of trash bolted on it. 

Ed, I almost totally agree, excepting there are a reason why metal sidemount covers were made and that reason was that exposed metal covers better integrated the spare tires into the car allowing for a more "modern' look.  I also think 1930 and 1931 Cadillac's look particularly good dripping with "junk" on them (all be it welcome to see one on occasion with no to few accessories). 

I always wondered when I saw a Duesenberg pictured with painted wire wheels - obviously chrome wire wheels may not have appealed to everyone. For RR PI's they spoke of stainless wire wheels (never seen an original unrestored set so no idea of how made - and apparently they only made it to a few cars).  J330 had original chrome wire wheels on it - and do not recall if stainless spokes or chrome spokes or if factory chrome or previously replated, though I do recall the the underlying metal finishing "look" around rim nipples was nowhere near the quality of what would be considered acceptable today and I felt that was original.  On this particular Beverley though, I am leaning toward the wire wheels being painted due to the chrome finish not holding up and I say that as the lock rings are also painted. 

The Beverly also sports Martin brand double whitewalls (the little shield on the whitewall I believe represents the Martin logo). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Sidenote:  I thought some of the best articles ever run by Special Interest Autos were just series of photos of CCCA cars spotted on the streets post WWII, including RR cars parked outside Inskips. What I particularly liked was see that photo matched to knowing the car in the 70's to today. 

• Like 4

WOW, I am most pleased to see this post reach the level of contributions it has, both with images as well as comments - totally unexpected ( but I admit had hoped for some people to want to discuss)

and all about photos of pre war classics taken post war but not in posed lines of cars at car shows, just being used on the road! It was my whole point in wanting the two I had to be viewed by one and all. Glad the forum had the room to accommodate this as a viable part of the history of the cars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

For RR PI's they spoke of stainless wire wheels (never seen an original unrestored set so no idea of how made - and apparently they only made it to a few cars). 

I've seen one set, on a late PI Avon. I went with my friend EA Mowbray to look at it. It was a wreck - a real "barn find" if ever there was one but he liked it and bought it. It had 4 stainless wheels on the ground - the spare wheels were missing. A few days later someone that had herd about the car called him and offered him more money than he'd paid for the car, plus a set of six normal wheels. I don't think he sold them but he did eventually sell the car.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It's always interesting to hear what cars were 

around in a given year.

A older friend of mine still has a 1918 Cadillac

touring car which he rescued from a junkyard in

April 1939, when he was a freshman at Dartmoth

College.  Also there were a 1914 dual-windscreen

Rolls-Royce, a gas-lighted Pierce mountain wagon,

and a 1920 Stutz Bearcat, he says.  Such were the

choices in a New Hampshire junkyard 80 years ago.

The 1918 Cadillac had only 33,000 miles in 1939,

and it happened to run fine but fired on only 7 of 8

cylinders.  Evidently a 21-year-old luxury car was

outdated, or not worth repairing, by that time,

and was resigned to junk status.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

that Pierce mountain wagon may have eventually wound up in the collection of Walter McCarthy in Huntington, NY who had one that came (i believe) from there for many years.. Not sure who he sold it to some years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1919 Lancia, picture taken at Lars Anderson in October of 1949.

2000587394_1919Lancia.thumb.jpg.7b6167e1adfcf322fec5ddad8203db93.jpg

• Like 3

Here's one for AJ...

I just realized that the Lars Anderson Museum opened on October 15, 1949. Many of the photos I have were taken there between 1949 and about 1955. The gentleman who collected them lived in Cambridge.

1299418834_1925Mercedes.thumb.jpg.c966bf7c4bdbed32edef9df373d0f9df.jpg

• Like 2

All Model J Duesenbergs came standard with painted wire wheels. As far as Springfield Rolls Royce Phantom 1’s, only three cars came from the factory with stainless wire wheels.......one was the last new Ascot body built, placed on an earlier chassis, but got the stainless wires before the car was shipped......probably just to get rid of them as all production was ending. 

As to putting all the bling on a 30-31 Cadillac...........🤮

Here is a great photo from 1947......taken from a movie.......

695DE44B-5EE7-4F59-972E-F247564C9529.png

• Like 2

Not a barn find........a “field” find. The car has been restored...............one of the top body styles ever produced.

B8B7B6D6-AB2E-428D-A4B4-53EA33650F72.jpeg

8CED24F6-F6D0-4ED7-9A1A-79BCD19D3802.jpeg

• Like 2

thanks Ed and Al and thanks to everyone this is GREAT - just amazing photos of cars I have never seen before.

Walt

Here’s a Springfield Mass V-12 Tow Truck. Nice job, the garage only recently closed. 

D9055F03-5959-4C78-BF04-B72B1F2F4CDC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Full circle.......the car that started this thread out in the sun...............taken last year......

99633A07-DDA6-4140-B8F7-79A5504B2282.jpeg

• Like 3

In this photo one has to ask a very important question.............what has better paint......the shabby old car, or his artwork?

14C6B2EC-E413-4297-A037-98A42957F95D.png

• Like 3

Ed:  The Bob Bahre collection, Paris Hill, ME.  Great place to visit, been there a couple of times.  

I found this picture set of some of his cars here:  

Bob Bahre Car Collection

The Packard shows up a few pictures in.

The house wasn't too shabby:  https://www.unionleader.com/news/homes/ex-speedway-owner-s-home-goes-for-a-cool-million/article_60b13f24-546d-5dd9-a809-d1c3fadb7d56.html

10 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

Ed:  The Bob Bahre collection, Paris Hill, ME.  Great place to visit, been there a couple of times.  

I found this picture set of some of his cars here:  

Bob Bahre Car Collection

The Packard shows up a few pictures in.

The house wasn't too shabby:  https://www.unionleader.com/news/homes/ex-speedway-owner-s-home-goes-for-a-cool-million/article_60b13f24-546d-5dd9-a809-d1c3fadb7d56.html

Bob and Sandra live in the Hannibal Hamlin house.   HH was vice president under Lincoln.    They are ridiculously generous to clubs and tours showing the collection.

IMG_5883.jpg

308900a0.jpg

• Like 1

From a completely different source... Peugeot with the Russian Army about 1915.

1591717216_PeugeotwithRussians.thumb.jpg.2d19628d3f5de95c736da05812f32394.jpg

How do I know it's a Peugeot? I own the picture so I scanned the radiator badge at very high resolution and was able to read it.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

GREAT photo of the Peugeot!  I immediately thought , hey this could be the line of cars waiting to enter the show field at Hershey if the weather were bad one year and very cold!

thanks so much for the contribution of the period photographs. Pre war or post war , to see the images of cars most of us have not seen before is amazing. They could fill a whole magazine .

thank you

Seeing all of these on a dreary cloudy cold day here on long island is just a great way to brighten up the day.

Walt

I second Walt's appreciations.  Dig into your dusty files gentlemen, share with us those wonderful images of these great cars from the era before they became highly valuable collector's items. 

• Like 1