Jump to content

Have you Chevy collectors ever seen one of these before?


lump
 Share

Recommended Posts

Years ago my brother-in-law bought a footstool at a garage sale, planning to use it as a stand for something or another. Anyway, he took off the cloth cover which someone had put crudely over it years before, and found an image of "The first Chevrolet" and a "new" 1962 Impala. I've been collecting, restoring, researching, and racing Chevy's for several decades, but I've never seen a footstool like this one. Is it a piece of furniture for use in a Chevrolet dealership waiting room in '62, maybe?

 

The two-color gold and black color scheme certainly reminds me of that period. I truly think that is what this is.

 

Have you ever seen anything like this?  

Footstool 62 Impala 1.jpg

Footstool 62 Impala 2.jpg

Footstool 62 Impala 9.jpg

Footstool 62 Impala 11.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did look up Mid-South Products, and there is a company by that name in Tennessee. But it is located in Memphis, and seems to sell novelty items which are often based on famous character names, like Betty Boop, etc. Moreover, that company was founded in 1975. Nevertheless, I'll try to contact them Monday to see if they have any ideas about this item. Thanks! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found that company listed. In 1960 they had 25 employees and their business was making "TV stack stools."

 

Book -  Industrial Development in the TVA Area During ... - Google Books Result

 

https://books.google.com/books?id=QqMaiDo-3eQC&pg=PP196&lpg=PP196&dq=Mid+South+Products+Sales+Corp+Adamsville+Tenn&source=bl&ots=7fMbdHalk7&sig=ACfU3U02HmLvI4pObTDkhEBd1FhUbPUNig&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjJ_e3RyfDlAhUDI6wKHQQbBzYQ6AEwA3oECBUQAQ

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are several different items like that distributed in 1962. That was the year Chevrolet celebrated their 50th anniversary. The specifics to that stool I do not know, but there are many similar type items that were given to salesman which I possibly think it is.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably the only place you would find more info on it,  would be if you could find a salesman promotion book, that lists the prizes give to salesmen for attaining a certain level of sales.  I've had some of those books,  but most were late 60's and up.  Probably pretty scarce to find but you might find a literature or 62 Collector that has one, that could copy a page from it for you. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Probably the only place you would find more info on it,  would be if you could find a salesman promotion book, that lists the prizes give to salesmen for attaining a certain level of sales.  I've had some of those books,  but most were late 60's and up.  Probably pretty scarce to find but you might find a literature or 62 Collector that has one, that could copy a page from it for you. 

 

I am a little bit of both a 62 collector and a collector of 62 literature,  I have one of those promotion books somewhere I am looking for it today

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, John348 said:

There are several different items like that distributed in 1962. That was the year Chevrolet celebrated their 50th anniversary. The specifics to that stool I do not know, but there are many similar type items that were given to salesman which I possibly think it is.

I wonder if that would be from the catalog for promotional items for dealers, as opposed to a salesman's prize catalog.  That would have been something the dealer would have wanted on his sales floor for customers to view.  Since that would have been a 'one year only' thing, the dealer's top salesman could have earned one at the end of the 1962 model year, or they could have drawn an employee's name from a hat when the 1963's came out.

 

Craig

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, lump said:

 

The two-color gold and black color scheme certainly reminds me of that period. I truly think that is what this is.

 

Have you ever seen anything like this?  

Footstool 62 Impala 1.jpg

 

 

I know this is probably a stretch but I wonder if a 1962 Silver Book would have anything on them...

Anyone have a 62 Silver Book ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, mike6024 said:

I found that company listed. In 1960 they had 25 employees and their business was making "TV stack stools."

 

Book -  Industrial Development in the TVA Area During ... - Google Books Result

 

https://books.google.com/books?id=QqMaiDo-3eQC&pg=PP196&lpg=PP196&dq=Mid+South+Products+Sales+Corp+Adamsville+Tenn&source=bl&ots=7fMbdHalk7&sig=ACfU3U02HmLvI4pObTDkhEBd1FhUbPUNig&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjJ_e3RyfDlAhUDI6wKHQQbBzYQ6AEwA3oECBUQAQ

Terrific info, Mike. Thanks so much for your effort on this. I've got a feeling we're getting closer to solving this puzzle. Very grateful to everyone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

.  That would have been something the dealer would have wanted on his sales floor for customers to view.

 

Craig

 

I doubt that this was for the showroom floor, they seldom want anything to distract from the car, plus showroom floors were much smaller as far as space then they are today. I am tending toward that this one is the only survivor of the set of four that was given out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, this looks like a good thread to mention this. I hope, I still have in good condition, a lamp from about that same time. It was packed away about thirty years ago, because the few Chevrolet collectors I knew weren't interested in it. The base of the lamp has a sort-of bronzed model of the 1912 Chevrolet touring car, and if I recall correctly, a small plaque awarding the lamp to a salesman. The rather cheesy but plain '60s looking shade had pictures of about a dozen Chevrolet models all around it. It was packed fairly well, but I haven't set eyes on it in many years, and don'e even know for sure where it is except that I hope I still have it and hopefully some unknown hazard hasn't found it.

If I still have it (I know I didn't knowingly sell it or give it away), I would like to sell it to a collector that would be interested in such promotional collectibles from the '60s (it was and still is too new to really interest me).

This thread may make me dig through some of my stored stuff?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, John348 said:

 

I doubt that this was for the showroom floor, they seldom want anything to distract from the car, plus showroom floors were much smaller as far as space then they are today. I am tending toward that this one is the only survivor of the set of four that was given out

Something trivial like that sitting next to the window, or just outside the salesman's office in the showroom would NEVER distract from the car, at least not in 1962!  (Today, it might, but that's a different story.)

 

It would be just the thing for m'lady to sit on while the husband learns all about the brand new '62 from the salesman.

 

Craig

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

Something trivial like that sitting next to the window, or just outside the salesman's office in the showroom would NEVER distract from the car, at least not in 1962!  (Today, it might, but that's a different story.)

 

It would be just the thing for m'lady to sit on while the husband learns all about the brand new '62 from the salesman.

 

Craig

 

I doubt that it was used for show room decor, but rather a premium incentive for employees, or promotional use give away

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Well, this looks like a good thread to mention this. I hope, I still have in good condition, a lamp from about that same time. It was packed away about thirty years ago, because the few Chevrolet collectors I knew weren't interested in it. The base of the lamp has a sort-of bronzed model of the 1912 Chevrolet touring car, and if I recall correctly, a small plaque awarding the lamp to a salesman. The rather cheesy but plain '60s looking shade had pictures of about a dozen Chevrolet models all around it. It was packed fairly well, but I haven't set eyes on it in many years, and don'e even know for sure where it is except that I hope I still have it and hopefully some unknown hazard hasn't found it.

If I still have it (I know I didn't knowingly sell it or give it away), I would like to sell it to a collector that would be interested in such promotional collectibles from the '60s (it was and still is too new to really interest me).

This thread may make me dig through some of my stored stuff?

Dig it out.   I'm sure someone,  quite possibly even here would be interested in it.  I do know other than the premium prizes,  most of the gifts were on the cheesy cheap end when you look at the old catalogs.  Of course they offered color televisions and all sortsd of nice stuff at the top teir level. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Something trivial like that sitting next to the window, or just outside the salesman's office in the showroom would NEVER distract from the car, at least not in 1962!  (Today, it might, but that's a different story.)

 

It would be just the thing for m'lady to sit on while the husband learns all about the brand new '62 from the salesman.

 

Craig

Actually I didn't think of this stool as sitting in the middle of the showroom, next to the new cars. As we all know, dealership showrooms are typically filled with promotional signs and materials, trying to convince service customers to avoid repair bills by trading in their used car for a new one...pointing out how wonderful the new models really are. I figured this footstool might have been placed in the waiting room, where other furniture of that era might have been similar in style and appearance. Who knows? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is why I don't think it was a showroom piece. While searching for some information on this I came upon a 1960 salesman training kit, in the kit there was a poster of the prizes that would be distributed to the highest scores on the test that was given after the seminar. As you can see this stuff is rather "cheesy" If it were a showroom piece and in dealerships there would be more of them around. I have been collecting 1962 Chevrolet items for at least 35 years and have never seen one of these stools.

I know it is a 1960 training kit, I would find it hard that the premise would change. These kits are pretty much boiler plate material for several years. I have a 62 kit somewhere.

IMG_7357.JPG

IMG_7358.JPG

IMG_7361.JPG

IMG_7360.JPG

IMG_7359.JPG

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

John 348, you have interesting pieces  of literature used for selling tools  for the sales force. I have similar pieces for Ford, Pontiac, and Chrysler. In 1962 A.M.T.  had a model kit available for a 1912 Chevrolet . They show up on Ebay from time to time. I don't know if they were only available through  dealers as a promotion. I don't remember seeing  them in retail stores. John

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2019 at 4:14 PM, John S. said:

John 348, you have interesting pieces  of literature used for selling tools  for the sales force. I have similar pieces for Ford, Pontiac, and Chrysler. In 1962 A.M.T.  had a model kit available for a 1912 Chevrolet . They show up on Ebay from time to time. I don't know if they were only available through  dealers as a promotion. I don't remember seeing  them in retail stores. John

 

Thanks for your compliment.

I did some research on the 1912 Model Kits, and I was told that they were made by SMP who was a subsidiary of AMT. He has 3 of the kits and said they are in a plain white box for distribution at dealerships.  I was told that there was a request card that had to be submitted to the dealer and that they could pick up a kit. Sort of data mining to build a mailing list. Also most kids would need their parents to take them to pick it up and it gave an opportunity to do what salesmen do best. 

 

I have not been able to find the 62 training kit, however I did come across some other interesting pieces. I think it is down in Florida (and I am not) so if I can trust me on my memory, there is similar poster showing the prizes awarded to the salesman. There were also similar contests for the technicians based on product knowledge test scores.

 

I personally was never interested in the promo items (sure I have a few yardsticks and pot holders) but mostly paper information to aide in a correct restoration. Answering the OP's original question I never did see one of those stools, and I would like to think I would have stumbled on upon one by now. Chevrolet really did not know how to promote their 50th Anniversary, and for the most part there was very little pomp and circumstance about their recent 100th Anniversary. I do have a few items items celebrating the 50th in 1962.  There are a few of the 62 Anniversary cars, and from time to time they show up, all SS sport Coupes with 327's. It is not a very soothing color on the eye, and with a soft yellow interior (corona cream) just pushes it over the edge as far as looks. 

 

The first photo is a reprint of the parts book from 1912  Never knew the history or the thought behind it, and never came upon any real reason why someone thought this was a good idea. They are out there and I do see them from time to time

 

The second photo is the back of the Chevrolet Story from 1962, notice the gold key chains that the woman is holding, those key chains were rather common.

 

The third photo is of the Key Chains

 

The fourth photo is the cover of an early print sales brochure pushing the 50th Anniversary, 

 

The fifth photo is the inside cover and a letter from K Staley, the sales manager for Chevrolet. From the note It seems like this brochure was a mailer to past Chevrolet customers, as he thanks them for their loyalty.

 

The sixth photo is a brochure that was given out to those who toured the St Louis Fisher Body Plant 

 

IMG_7409.JPG

IMG_7410.JPG

IMG_7411.JPG

IMG_7412.JPG

IMG_7413.JPG

IMG_7414.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is my guess from a 35 year career with GM.  Each year the Divisions would send a dealer a promotional catalog to purchase car models, pictures, lamps,, and smaller items for new car announcement.  While this predates my  time certainly 8 years later they were doing this each year.  Dealers could buy them for giveaways, incentives, etc.  I have quite a few from those catalogs especially Oldsmobile's 75th anniversary where they made everything from a duffle bag, ash can, wall hangings to framed pictures. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

I want to thank all of the experts of the AACA forums for your help with this item. I've decided to go ahead and sell it, and will be listing it on eBay after the holidays. The legs come off readily enough, and so it fits in a box I happened to have which is 19" x 18" x 6", and weighs about 10 lbs with packing materials. I will let everyone on this forum know when it is listed. 

 

Happy holidays to all. I really love the knowledge and comradery on the AACA forums. 

 

--Jim 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

UPDATE: Well folks, I did indeed list this old footstool on eBay, and a bidder has stepped up and paid the minimum bid amount, so it will indeed be going to a new home. The interesting part is that the Chevy collector who is buying it sent me a photo of another just about like it that he owns. But his is from 1961! Cool, huh? 

 

Here is a copy of the photo he sent me: 

footstool 61 Impala.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2019 at 11:42 AM, John348 said:

 

Thanks for your compliment.

I did some research on the 1912 Model Kits, and I was told that they were made by SMP who was a subsidiary of AMT. He has 3 of the kits and said they are in a plain white box for distribution at dealerships.  I was told that there was a request card that had to be submitted to the dealer and that they could pick up a kit. Sort of data mining to build a mailing list. Also most kids would need their parents to take them to pick it up and it gave an opportunity to do what salesmen do best. 

 

I have not been able to find the 62 training kit, however I did come across some other interesting pieces. I think it is down in Florida (and I am not) so if I can trust me on my memory, there is similar poster showing the prizes awarded to the salesman. There were also similar contests for the technicians based on product knowledge test scores.

 

I personally was never interested in the promo items (sure I have a few yardsticks and pot holders) but mostly paper information to aide in a correct restoration. Answering the OP's original question I never did see one of those stools, and I would like to think I would have stumbled on upon one by now. Chevrolet really did not know how to promote their 50th Anniversary, and for the most part there was very little pomp and circumstance about their recent 100th Anniversary. I do have a few items items celebrating the 50th in 1962.  There are a few of the 62 Anniversary cars, and from time to time they show up, all SS sport Coupes with 327's. It is not a very soothing color on the eye, and with a soft yellow interior (corona cream) just pushes it over the edge as far as looks. 

 

The first photo is a reprint of the parts book from 1912  Never knew the history or the thought behind it, and never came upon any real reason why someone thought this was a good idea. They are out there and I do see them from time to time

 

The second photo is the back of the Chevrolet Story from 1962, notice the gold key chains that the woman is holding, those key chains were rather common.

 

The third photo is of the Key Chains

 

The fourth photo is the cover of an early print sales brochure pushing the 50th Anniversary, 

 

The fifth photo is the inside cover and a letter from K Staley, the sales manager for Chevrolet. From the note It seems like this brochure was a mailer to past Chevrolet customers, as he thanks them for their loyalty.

 

The sixth photo is a brochure that was given out to those who toured the St Louis Fisher Body Plant 

 

IMG_7409.JPG

IMG_7410.JPG

IMG_7411.JPG

IMG_7412.JPG

IMG_7413.JPG

IMG_7414.JPG

John, is it possible to post a few pictures of your 62? I would assume it's painted in anniversary gold. As you know I have a 62 Pontiac Catalina 2 dr. post. in Pontiac's caravan gold.  Ironically last week a close friend just picked up a car like yours and we were comparing our canopies. 

Thanks in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...