Harry S. Truman 1950 Lincoln Cosmopolitan Limo REDUCED FOR QUICK SALE!

The owner has reduced the price of this fabulous car to $150,000.00 US!

Offered for sale here is Harry S. Truman's Lincoln Cosmopolitan Limousine. The personal Limousine of the underestimated Democrat that went from underdog to champion in the 1949 presidential election!
Own a piece of history of the President that, despite the push back from conservatives, was able to implement not just NATO but the Fair Deal, an ambitious plan which included national medical insurance, federal housing programs, a higher minimum wage, assistance for farmers, increases in Social Security and civil rights reforms.
Remember when Presidents were Presidents and got things done. Carry on this man's memory in one of Truman's super-special, custom-built, oversize Lincoln Limousine's - one of a fleet of ten built for lease to the White House.This big car has special running boards for Secret Service men, and a shiny, padded leather top with sufficient headroom for high silk hats.
Be the head of the parade after the next election in this historic vehicle and motor into the future with a new sense of hope and purpose.1103419066_download(41).png.0ff856233c8e65c294c18ef1f7180d35.png

The ex-Harry Truman 1950 Lincoln Cosmopolitan Limousine

Coachwork by Henney Motor Co.

Chassis no. 50LP6237H

Engine no. 0EL6520

*336.7ci, 152hp L-head V-8

*Custom ordered for President Harry S. Truman

*Built at the behest of the White House

*One of only a handful surviving, most of which are in museum collections

This specially bodied limousine is one of the nine custom-built 1950 Lincolns built at the behest of the 33rd President of the United States, Harry S. Truman. The seven-passenger car rides on a 145-inch wheelbase extended chassis and measures 240 inches overall. It weighs more than 6,000 lbs.

Leased to the Government by Ford Motor Co., the 1950 Lincoln Presidential Limousines replaced the aging pre-World War II White House fleet Truman inherited when he ascended to the presidency after Franklin D. Roosevelt's death in 1944. Truman chose Lincoln over Cadillac after GM had snubbed his requests for vehicles during his presidential campaign, which he had been expected to lose. The 1950 Lincolns remained in Presidential use well into the Eisenhower administration.

Price is $185,000.00 US  now reduced to $150,000.00 US

kelly@exceptionalcarbroker.com 

download (33).png

download (35).png

download (42).png

download (38).png

download (39).png

download (32).png

Edited by supercargirl (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not to pick, but Harry Truman's middle initial should not be followed by a period. I should be Harry S Truman, since he did not have a middle name. When asked about his middle initial he said that since he had no middle name, just put an S there....  True story...

Frank

• Like 4

Though we’ve all heard the story about Truman’s middle initial, Truman himself put a period after the S. His Presidential Library in Missouri puts a period after the S. It’s the Harry S. Truman Library, currently closed for renovation, though the research library is open. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Povertycove said:

Though we’ve all heard the story about Truman’s middle initial, Truman himself put a period after the S. His Presidential Library in Missouri puts a period after the S. It’s the Harry S. Truman Library, currently closed for renovation, though the research library is open. 

Being a research geek I was actually going to check with the research library before changing it.  So thank you for the update.  I am glad people are loving this car though and commenting on it with such positive comments.  

• Like 1

@plymouthcranbrookThat made me laugh so hard.  One time I had my elderly mother under the winner's circle tent at Hershey when they announced the then Governor was coming to the podium to announce the winners.  This particular Governor  was pretty hard on teachers in PA and one of her five daughters was a teacher.  My mother couldn't see over the crowd so when a gentleman standing next to us said, "Is that him?" She replied loudly, "I don't know.  Does he look like an a****e?"  Zing mom.

Edited by supercargirl (see edit history)
  • Haha 1
On 11/15/2019 at 5:02 PM, oldford said:

Not to pick, but Harry Truman's middle initial should not be followed by a period. I should be Harry S Truman, since he did not have a middle name. When asked about his middle initial he said that since he had no middle name, just put an S there....  True story...

Frank

My grandfather also had a middle initial instead of a name. I'm not sure what the purpose of that was, but like President Truman, my grandfather was born in the southern region of the Midwest (Illinois) in the late 1800's. Somewhat common in that area back then.

Truman was probably my favorite Democrat president, followed by JFK, then followed by...well...none, actually. Hope this beautiful part of automotive history finds a new home.

My apologies supercargirl, the car's price is beyond my means but for those who have noted Harry's reputation I must defend.  I am a conservative person who typically but not always votes Republican BUT Harry S Truman was a great President, period.  Consider that he had to make tough decisions at the end of a difficult war.  Then lead America in what followed.  I am currently reading the Habersham book "The Coldest Winter" covering America in the Korean War.   Truman's leadership should NOT be questioned.  He had great common people skills that politicians lack these days.  He was one of the last great "people's" Presidents along with Lyndon B Johnson, Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan, the 1st two of which I do not share political philosophies with but who were leaders nonetheless. 

This is one of those cars where I would love to sit in, where the President sat and simply soak in the environment and times.  Frankly, it should be at the Gilmore, for all to see and appreciate.  

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Licespray said:

^

He was one of my favourites too, Mr Truman. Would be a pleasure to own this car.

Like I said, for a Democrat he was pretty good. The car is beautiful, and I'm sure it will sell.

Now, if you ever get a hold of one of Barry Goldwater's cars, supercargirl, PLEASE let me know...and don't let anyone else have it!😻

• Like 2
21 hours ago, supercargirl said:

I am so glad this car is evoking good memories.  And contacting the Gilmore is now on my list of things to do. Thank you for that idea.

Actually there is collection of Presidential Limousines at the Henry Ford Museum, I know they even have the Limousine that JFK was assassinated in  

Well I just sent a query to the Gilmore Museum.  Next on the list the Henry Ford Museum.  Thanks John 348.  Also I see you are a member of the VCCA and I have a few cars that might interest you.  Can't let a lead just pass me by😊

James R - do tell about the Goldwater cars.  I am not familiar with them.

Harry Truman was the last true democrat elected to the job. A great president even if though he was left of center. He made hard decisions that too many people second guess today. A remarkable man, any way you look at him. 

• Like 6
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:07 PM, B Jake Moran said:

where the President sat and simply soak in the environment and times. 

Way back when, when Nixon was the prez my rather affluent cousin booked the family a room at some high end hotel (don't remember the name) in downtown Seattle for our annual family Thanksgiving get together.

He got us the presidential sweet.

I made sure to use the toilet.

My brother commented that Nixon probably hadn't sat there as he most likely doesn't ****.

3 hours ago, supercargirl said:

😊

James R - do tell about the Goldwater cars.  I am not familiar with them.

My comment was more about the candidate than the cars...and slightly tongue in cheek, though I am (in retrospect) a Goldwater fan. I know nothing about his cars, but some shred of memory makes me think he had an Avanti. Not at all sure about that.

Okay, I just checked, and apparently he had a Barris customized XK-120. How 'bout that? https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Barry_Goldwater's_1953_Jaguar

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
7 minutes ago, JamesR said:

My comment was more about the candidate than the cars...and slightly tongue in cheek, though I am (in retrospect) a Goldwater fan. I know nothing about his cars, but some shred of memory makes me think he had an Avanti. Not at all sure about that.

Okay, I just checked, and apparently he had a Barris customized XK-120. How 'bout that? https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Barry_Goldwater's_1953_Jaguar

I think the Avanti was a subliminal dig at Goldwater.  But a customized Jag.  Who woulda thought?  And you are right.  That is one car you would want in your collection.  Very cool.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, JamesR said:

JamesR don't tell me that you were "One of those Bright Young Men who want to go back to 1910. Barry's Boys"?

31 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

JamesR don't tell me that you were "One of those Bright Young Men who want to go back to 1910. Barry's Boys"?

Let me rephrase what I said earlier: there were/are some things I really liked about Goldwater...but some things I didn't like about him, too. I like his limited government approach, but he could be pretty mean-spirited about things, too...which i don't like at all, regardless of one's political philosophy. That may be why he lost to LBJ (who could actually be kind of mean spirited, too.) To be honest, there probably weren't any great choices in the '64 election.

Actually, if you wanted a really interesting presidential car, you could get LBJ's Lincoln, which I think he drove while drunk on remote Texas roads. From US News:

Then there was Nixon’s predecessor, Lyndon B. Johnson, who liked drinking while driving on his Texas ranch, Will-Weber reports.

“LBJ used to like to speed around his ranch in his Lincoln Continental and he would sometimes be going 90 with a plastic cup of Scotch,” Will-Weber says, noting that Johnson liked the “bargain basement” stuff. “Then he would stop and if he wanted more he’d put the glass out the window and rattle the ice cubes in it and then the Secret Service guys in the car behind him would jump out, run up, refill them -- and he’d take off again.”

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2014/10/16/a-trip-to-mount-lushmore-author-charts-presidential-drinking-habits

4 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

James, I was just joking because although I do remember 1964 quite well that phrase just climbed up out of what is left of my brain and said “Here I am”. No disrespect intended or implied. 

I saw no disrespect in that statement at all. BTW, I was 6 years old in 1964, so I don't remember much about the election. I do remember that my dad got really upset with my grandma because she voted for LBJ because he always said, "God bless America" after every speech, and she was a devout Methodist so she felt that was really important. 😄 Goldwater was an athiest, I believe, so there was no way she was going to vote for him.

I'm starting to feel very old :)  I was four in 1964.  I came from a family of eleven and my parents always told us the TV was broken (we kids practically lived at the library across the street).  I remember it working only sporadically - when Nixon left the White House, when  man landed on the moon, and strangely enough every once in awhile football games on Sunday.  Elections were always a time of great mystery for us as neither my mother or father would tell us - or each other - who they voted for.  That's one way to keep the peace.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, JamesR said:

I saw no disrespect in that statement at all. BTW, I was 6 years old in 1964, so I don't remember much about the election. I do remember that my dad got really upset with my grandma because she voted for LBJ because he always said, "God bless America" after every speech, and she was a devout Methodist so she felt that was really important. 😄 Goldwater was an atheist, I believe, so there was no way she was going to vote for him.

Once again I feel positively ancient. I was 14 going on 15 in 64. and watching politics for the first time while paying some attention.  Seemed so simple then.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

That's actually a fascinating car, what a story.  Truman was the last "common man" President, if you want to read an interesting story, get "Harry Truman's Excellent Adventure"...you'll marvel at how a recent President traveled incognito, though he was recognized often...no Secret Service, just him and his wife on a road trip..incredible story, never to be repeated...

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 1
On 11/22/2019 at 6:12 PM, supercargirl said:

I am so glad this car is evoking good memories.  And contacting the Gilmore is now on my list of things to do. Thank you for that idea.

How about the Henry Ford, in Greenfield Village, which has other presidential cars?

On 11/22/2019 at 6:12 PM, supercargirl said:

Thanks Paul.  I will give them a try.  And Trimcar - my library just opened again I will look it up.  I love those kinds of stories.  John Steinbeck wrote Travels with Charley: In Search of America.  Charely was his dog though - not his wife:)