Sign in to follow this  
auburnseeker

So what's this Pierce Arrow Engine really worth? (from Craigslist)

You could always clean the engine up, paint it and use it as a coffee table base with a glass top for your man cave.

This 1930 B model is for sale in Texas for $22k on the PAS website which is about where I’ll be after completing the work on my engine, and another in as good if not better shape than mine sold on eBay over the summer in the $20k range... if you are interested in an unrestored car and keep searching you will find one at a reasonable price...

29958CA7-2FDB-49B1-8303-7D4C029370D9.jpeg

so Mark, tell us what was so wrong with your engine?

I have never seen another PA in that price range running. I am on ebay every day now for 22 years..........

It ran good when I bought it but was low on compression and had not been driven much since the 1950’s going by an oil change sticker on my door jamb. So, I wanted to get any crud out of the oil pan, clean the rust debris from the cooling jacket and check the rings and valves before doing any serious driving.

I decided to bite the bullet and replace the valves with modern ones as there wasn’t much left to the lands on the original set, but while inspecting the internals I found that the Babbitt was delaminating from the steel of the rods, thankfully the mains are brass shell inserts and were not falling apart. This was in a very quiet, non-smoking engine by the way!  Surprise, surprise, Surprise as Gomer Pyle would say...

So, out go the rods for Babbitt, thankfully the crank journals are quite round and clean as not to need grinding or my rebuilding costs would skyrocket... adding in a new set of Ross pistons & rings makes sense now as the head gasket is expensive and I don’t want to go back in anytime soon... Not a major rebuild, but sound work that will leave the engine looking as original as the rest of the car.

as many have pointed out, expecting to do something with any car you buy is a smart idea, expect to do a lot more with these original cars!

Edited by Mark Wetherbee
Noah had nothing to do with this thread... (fat fingers) (see edit history)
  • Like 2