Early Packard A/C?

jwa

In the 1950's a gentleman I know had an untouched 1942 limousine with factory A/C. The unit was in the trunk and had a very prominent yellow warning tag. "Caution -- Due to wartime restrictions the only gas available for this unit is poisonous. In case it develops a leak evacuate the car immediately".  I assume from the warning that the war-time units used ammonia as a coolant.

Don

Edited by DLynskey
spelling (see edit history)

As rare as they are I figured someone on this forum would come with a copy of the warning. It's not exactly the wording I remember seeing 60 years ago, but the tag doesn't identify the refrigerant used. Don't worry about my aging memory. It's actually getting better. In fact it's so good now my wife keeps telling me that I even remember things that never happened.

Don

• 2 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:16 PM, DLynskey said:

In the 1950's a gentleman I know had an untouched 1942 limousine with factory A/C. The unit was in the trunk and had a very prominent yellow warning tag. "Caution -- Due to wartime restrictions the only gas available for this unit is poisonous. In case it develops a leak evacuate the car immediately".  I assume from the warning that the war-time units used ammonia as a coolant.

Don

Some speculate the extensive devastation caused by the fire in the Cocoanut Grove/Melody Lounge fire in Boston in 1942 was likely from Methyl Chloride leaking from one of the coolers at the time.   Although the actual fire was started from a staff member relighting a candle, igniting a curtain, it was the sudden acceleration of it that baffled the investigators and the NFPA for several years, at first blaming highly flammable plastics which were new at the time.  In later years, the investigators concluded the possible substitution of standard refrigerant for Methyl Chloride was partially to blame.

Craig

• 4 months later...

Craig,

It is not a big deal to change the size of the expansion, and fill valves, then upgrade the flex hoses to use R-134.  If you don't want to do your part for the planet you can supposedly buy R-12 in Mexico.

Our 41 Coupe with factory air has a FMOCO compressor with a clutch..  The running driving car will be listed on the AACA forum for sale at $23,500 in the next day or so.

Daniewl