JamesR

What's your record for a new part breaking?

Recommended Posts

62 Corvette wheel cylinder right after I opened the "made in China" package. Where the hose fitting was suppose to screw into the cylinder, the hole was there, but the threaded tapping was not made. Checked the other three cylinders and they were all the same way. The vendor got a call and his inventory showed the same problem. I was the third shipment from him, but he had not heard from the other two buyers. He made it right, and found another source, so no hard feelings. Not the first time that ran into inferior machining. Can't be too careful these days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, caddyshack said:

62 Corvette wheel cylinder right after I opened the "made in China" package. Where the hose fitting was suppose to screw into the cylinder, the hole was there, but the threaded tapping was not made. Checked the other three cylinders and they were all the same way. The vendor got a call and his inventory showed the same problem. I was the third shipment from him, but he had not heard from the other two buyers. He made it right, and found another source, so no hard feelings. Not the first time that ran into inferior machining. Can't be too careful these days.

I don't like how the new Imported old car wheel cylinders have a metric Bleeder when everything else is SAE. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2019 at 5:27 PM, dalef62 said:

I got three starts out of a new starter for my 73 MG Midget.  Replaced it and got about 40 starts out of the next starter.  On the third on and still starting, fingers crossed...

Replaced the water pump on my 90 Tbird and got 200 miles on it, second one I got 1000 miles on it.  On the third on and so far so good, about 2000 miles so far.

This reminds me of an incident I had once.  It was in about 1974.  I had a '62 Chevrolet Impala two door hardtop.  It had starter problems.  I took it to a Chevrolet dealership.

The Service Manager wanted to know whether I wanted a new starter (AC/Delco), a rebuilt starter from a parts store or a used starter from a wrecking yard.  I asked him

which one he would choose.  He said probably a used starter from a wrecking yard.  So, he sent one of his men to the yard to get a starter.  When the man came back with

it, the Service Manager was suspicious that it had been rebuilt.  They opened up, and sure enough, it had.  So, a fellow went back to the wrecking yard a second time to get

a used starter.  Same result.  Now I am not sure if it was the third starter or fourth starter from the wrecking yard that had not been rebuilt.  Anyway, they installed the last

starter and that was the end of my starter problems as long as I owned the car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

 

Broken is their default state.

 

As Jordan Peterson might say, all things tend towards chaos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I read this thread the dumber I become.  Like Ericmac  I had what were most likely the only pair of aftermarket amber turn signal lenses to fit a 1952 Plymouth 4 door sedan in the world.  Decided to put them on one day several years ago. You know what happened I am sure. Slipped out of my fingers and fell about 6 inches to the concrete. Solid glass, shattered to slivers. Never could find another.  Still have one somewhere in the garage.  

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

…. the only pair of aftermarket amber turn signal lenses to fit a 1952 Plymouth 4 door sedan 

Sorry if this is OT, but I've been into '52 Plymouths since I was a little kid (seriously!) and have never seen amber turn signal lenses for one.  Do you recall the manufacturer's name?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arrived broken or because I smashed one because I'm so sick of aftermarket crap that doesn't fit or work?........ 🤬

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 7:31 PM, Harold said:

Sorry if this is OT, but I've been into '52 Plymouths since I was a little kid (seriously!) and have never seen amber turn signal lenses for one.  Do you recall the manufacturer's name?

I will look for it and see if I can find something. I know I communicated with every supplier  I could find and even put a parts request ad here. A couple knew of them as aftermarket items but all said they had not seen one in years

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now