Sign in to follow this  
Rivman

New 1963-73 Riviera Book …

Recommended Posts

I noticed Ray is advertising this new book on the ROA website …

 

2002501293_NEWBOOK-COVER.thumb.jpg.d8d11938afc2352ebe3c15aa9151cd7a.jpg

 

From the website …

 

Buick Riviera 1963-73
By Norm Mort.

A new publication will be released this January on the 1963-73 Rivieras. The author Norm Mort has written many books on collectible cars and his latest is now available for pre-publication order. This 7.5 x 8-inch softcover book includes 110 photos within its 96 pages. Many of the photos were provided by the ROA. The material includes factory specs, options, reviews, road tests. and much more. The book is available from Amazon by searching “Buick Book Norm.” Details will appear in the Jan/Feb Riview.

 

The website says it “will be released this January,” but I found it was already on ebay.

 

Has anyone bought it yet?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered one for my library but haven’t received it yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordered mine today via eBay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please let us know what the book is like when it arrives. I was surprised to see my car on the cover. Had no idea. The author did not see a need to get permission from the owners of photos.

Wonder why I am seeing 2 versions. One with a main cover photo of a 66 and another a 72. Seems odd if its a new book.

s-l500.jpg

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought these books were on preorder until next spring?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Please let us know what the book is like when it arrives. I was surprised to see my car on the cover. Had no idea. The author did not see a need to get permission from the owners of photos.

Wonder why I am seeing 2 versions. One with a main cover photo of a 66 and another a 72. Seems odd if its a new book.

s-l500.jpg

 

From what I googled Jason: They both appear to be the same, both 96 pages but different release dates?

The Boat Tail version was available Amazon UK, 5/11/2019.

Your car on cover: Preorder - available21/07/2020.

Slightly confusing - maybe contact the Author, he's Canadian eh?

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Please let us know what the book is like when it arrives. I was surprised to see my car on the cover. Had no idea. The author did not see a need to get permission from the owners of photos.

 

If I can identify the owner of a car that's completely viewable and/or recognizable, I will attempt to contact them. Of course, you also have to worry about the photographer, who often has more legal claims. This is why I use my own photographs as much as possible.

 

6 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Wonder why I am seeing 2 versions. One with a main cover photo of a 66 and another a 72. Seems odd if its a new book.

 

In these days of Print On Demand, this is getting more common.

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YES, as Jason says, let us know how “accurate” it is when you receive it.

 

I find it interesting that it is a Canadian writer, and it is published in the UK. And, as Jason says, a new/different cover on a brand-new book?

 

Amazon says it is taking pre-orders for July of 2020, but on ebay it is available for delivery right now from Canada and the UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw  two listings on evilBay for this publication, with Boat Tail covers, and they were both UK locations. I didn't see any Canadian source listed Randall ?

There were also two Australian sources listed for the Boat Tail cover version.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

eBay sometimes (often?) shows different results based on your IP address.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:17 AM, JZRIV said:

I was surprised to see my car on the cover. Had no idea. The author did not see a need to get permission from the owners of photos.

Which could be problematic should the owners decide to press that matter.  Copyright violations can run thousands of dollars per instance -- and every photo in every book sold is a separate instance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KongaMan said:

Which could be problematic should the owners decide to press that matter.  Copyright violations can run thousands of dollars per instance -- and every photo in every book sold is a separate instance.

 

Correct. Also proving that I misread what @JZRIV wrote …

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got mine yesterday, the boat tail version. The information seems mostly correct with attribution to sources. Most, if not all photos, has courtesy information. I have added the preface FYI.

 

84D2A2AD-EB3E-493B-ACAD-846E5EE96844.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  I havnt seen the book so cant comment on it in its entirety but the 3rd paragraph of the preface is puzzling??

Tom Mooney

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting that preface Jan.

Perplexing for me as well. I have learned my car is pictured at least 4 times in the book and it was very unfortunate that I was never contacted for permission, nor was given any photo credits (to my knowledge as I do not have the book). Only photo "courtesy ROA". I see my name in the preface but there is no relevance connecting name to photos. I had no idea ROA was providing my photos for this book nor had any hint of its development. Some may be flattered to see their car in the book. I am not.

 

The author and his son the "photographer" should have paid meet registration and a hotel stay to attend a couple ROA nationals and taken their OWN photographs for the book instead of pirating them off the backs of the people who took them for profit. Between my wife and I, we spent over 50 hours photographing the car driving to various locations from the garage to 50 miles away setting up various shots at specific times of day for best lighting.  Anyone who has done this understands how time consuming it is. 300 plus photos were taken over the course of a few days then countless hours in front of the computer whittling them down to the best ones which were sent to ROA for the showcase article in the Riview and only the Riview and never dreamed they would be given to someone to publish a book for profit.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, JZRIV said:

Perplexing for me as well. I have learned my car is pictured at least 4 times in the book and it was very unfortunate that I was never contacted for permission, nor was given any photo credits (to my knowledge as I do not have the book). Only photo "courtesy ROA". I see my name in the preface but there is no relevance connecting name to photos. I had no idea ROA was providing my photos for this book nor had any hint of its development. Some may be flattered to see their car in the book. I am not.

 

The author and his son the "photographer" should have paid meet registration and a hotel stay to attend a couple ROA nationals and taken their OWN photographs for the book instead of pirating them off the backs of the people who took them for profit. Between my wife and I, we spent over 50 hours photographing the car driving to various locations from the garage to 50 miles away setting up various shots at specific times of day for best lighting.  Anyone who has done this understands how time consuming it is. 300 plus photos were taken over the course of a few days then countless hours in front of the computer whittling them down to the best ones which were sent to ROA for the showcase article in the Riview and only the Riview and never dreamed they would be given to someone to publish a book for profit.

 

Which is why I ask. When folks do refuse (relatively rare), I just reroute …

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Were they in fact given, or just taken, from the ROA website? Do we know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that the issue is they weren't the ROA's to give.  Unless there's an agreement which specifies otherwise, publishing a picture on a website or in a magazine does not transfer rights or ownership to the publisher, nor does it transfer the image to the public domain.  Ownership and the rights which accrue thereto remain with the photographer.  Further use of the pictures requires permission from the photographer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

I believe that the issue is they weren't the ROA's to give.  Unless there's an agreement which specifies otherwise, publishing a picture on a website or in a magazine does not transfer rights or ownership to the publisher, nor does it transfer the image to the public domain.  Ownership and the rights which accrue thereto remain with the photographer.  Further use of the pictures requires permission from the photographer.

Unless Ray, thinking the ROA owned rights to the photos,  gave his permission to the authors to use them.  If so ??????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Unless Ray, thinking the ROA owned rights to the photos,  gave his permission to the authors to use them.  If so ??????????

As the expression goes, ignorance of the law is no excuse.  If the ROA didn't own the images, the author published them without permission -- irrespective of whatever misconceptions may have contributed.

 

But really, if this guy has written several car books before, he should know this stuff.  Not corroborating ownership is, at best, sloppy.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Thanks for posting that preface Jan.

Perplexing for me as well. I have learned my car is pictured at least 4 times in the book and it was very unfortunate that I was never contacted for permission, nor was given any photo credits (to my knowledge as I do not have the book). Only photo "courtesy ROA". I see my name in the preface but there is no relevance connecting name to photos. I had no idea ROA was providing my photos for this book nor had any hint of its development. Some may be flattered to see their car in the book. I am not.

 

The author and his son the "photographer" should have paid meet registration and a hotel stay to attend a couple ROA nationals and taken their OWN photographs for the book instead of pirating them off the backs of the people who took them for profit. Between my wife and I, we spent over 50 hours photographing the car driving to various locations from the garage to 50 miles away setting up various shots at specific times of day for best lighting.  Anyone who has done this understands how time consuming it is. 300 plus photos were taken over the course of a few days then countless hours in front of the computer whittling them down to the best ones which were sent to ROA for the showcase article in the Riview and only the Riview and never dreamed they would be given to someone to publish a book for profit.

 

Yeah, I think your vehicle is pictured 6 times total. There is a second showing of the front cover when you open the book and I THINK they also show the inside of your vehicle for the 66 section.

 

I just ASSumed they got permission when I purchased the book, yet basically it says courtesy RoA. Seems best to get permission; I'm not sure on the technicalities of law if perhaps RoA does own the material in some way, but still authors should do the due diligence. The situation should get a swift remedy.

 

Jason, your vehicle certainly makes the book better! Heheheheheh.

 

Another problem of the book is that the author mentions the 67 GS air cleaner is "prized today," yet does not even SHOW the Star Wars Air Cleaner...what WHAT?!

 

 

IMG_9615.jpg

IMG_9614.jpg

IMG_9613.jpg

IMG_9612.jpg

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KongaMan said:

I believe that the issue is they weren't the ROA's to give.  Unless there's an agreement which specifies otherwise, publishing a picture on a website or in a magazine does not transfer rights or ownership to the publisher, nor does it transfer the image to the public domain.  Ownership and the rights which accrue thereto remain with the photographer.  Further use of the pictures requires permission from the photographer.

Here, here! 👍👏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this