Changing the top on a Stewart vacuum fuel tank

yachtflame

I have a crack in the large fitting on the pot metal lid of a Stewart vacuum fuel tank. While at Hershey, I bought a new lid and am trying to swap the guts. All has gone fine until

i tried to remove the vent needle (the furthest outboard needle). The needle moves up and down easily and rotates easily but just won’t come out. 
 I’m wandering if some one in the group has successfully done this. This is conspiring to annoy me!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

wayne

ED836016-DEAA-4D97-8FA6-381B40C00D8C.jpeg

92EFC87D-BF2A-47A4-AAC4-ECAD05E8A307.jpeg

I haven't changed the valves over, so can't help on that one, but, I had a top like yours, that had cracked down the side of where the fuel line screws into the top. I made a steel sleeve that was a nice push on fit, to go on the outside of the cracked part, fitted it on with locktite, and when the fuel pipe fitting was screwed into place, the sleeve stopped the crack from opening. It is still working on the car 35 years later.

7 minutes ago, viv w said:

I haven't changed the valves over, so can't help on that one, but, I had a top like yours, that had cracked down the side of where the fuel line screws into the top. I made a steel sleeve that was a nice push on fit, to go on the outside of the cracked part, fitted it on with locktite, and when the fuel pipe fitting was screwed into place, the sleeve stopped the crack from opening. It is still working on the car 35 years later.

I had that problem 20 years ago and did the same thing with the same excellent results.  That crack happens from overtightening the fitting.  Be sure to use crushable copper washer(s) to prevent this.

yaghtflame -

1. my first thought is I've used JB Weld successfully on Stewart tank bottoms to seal leaks. the one in the picture is JB Welded. I think it could work equally well on tops.

2. My second thought is to just buy another top "with the guts" off of ebay. Those are usually listed and either work or not.

RON

IMG_1498.JPG