Ron42Dodge

Specialty Wrenches ID

I purchased a lot of Specialty wrenches but I have no idea what they are used for.

Most of the silver ones have the name Robinair U.S.A. on them. some have numbers such as 12155, 12157, 12-184

The Pliers is a Boker 

The large dark blue wrench has no name but is 1/2" thick .

Anyone know what these were used for?

The only thing I can find on Robinair is they make Specialty tools for AC work but these don't seem to be that.

Robinair Wrenches.jpg

The name implies Aircraft or like you said heating and cooling.  I've never seen any wrenches like these anywhere.  That could be good or bad LOL.

From the internet Robinair was found in Warren (Michigan, USA) in 1956. Its initial task was to develop tools for the repair of vehicle air conditioning systems. The company name Robinair originated from the names of the pioneers, Robinette and Adair. ... Robinair became known as inventor of A/C service units for automotive workshops.  But these silver tools look older than 1956 to me and I can't picture what you might need a 3" wrench for unless it has a hell of a cheater bar attached.  The Auction these came from the guy worked on old Model A Fords as well as Mid 50's Mopars.  I wondered if they were used to remove the old Hub Caps and original lug nuts and wheel bearing nuts.  The gigantic heavy duty wrench has no name but the guy had a lot of heavy duty equipment in his shop.

The Boker pliers could be made by Henry Boker, a German maker of various knifes, pliers etc. Has it got anything else written on it?

IMHO except for the pliers,  they are homemade/shopmade tools and quite possibly for grease cap removal on wagons, cars etc or other large fittings that were not ordinarily put on very tight such as tops protecting valves on pressure tanks. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 12:59 AM, Craig Gillingham said:

The Boker pliers could be made by Henry Boker, a German maker of various knifes, pliers etc. Has it got anything else written on it?

Craig.  No other numbers anywhere,  

On 11/13/2019 at 7:40 AM, Gunsmoke said:

IMHO except for the pliers,  they are homemade/shopmade tools and quite possibly for grease cap removal on wagons, cars etc or other large fittings that were not ordinarily put on very tight such as tops protecting valves on pressure tanks. 

I agree they almost look home made but there are Numbers stampes into 3 of them and I've seen one of them with the same number on Ebay.  Because they seem so crude I felt they were earlier tools.  The Robinair company that formed in the mid 50s in my mind would have been making more quality tools.  Again a 3" wrench with no leverage has to be turning something that isn't very tight or just braeking something loose.  That's where I envision earle wheel hubs. 

Thin ones are probably for axle bolts since by design are not very tight and locked in place. The alternative is for double nutting, the lower wrench needs to be thin and able to be removed after the upper is tightened.

I have a few but mostly used to hold one end of a coupling while the other is tightened so open ended. This one fits a quadrajet.

thinwrench.jpg