Sign in to follow this  
Xander Wildeisen

Car pictures

There are less cars than back in the 1970's but the display looks much nicer. Bob 

1 minute ago, 1937hd45 said:

There are less cars than back in the 1970's but the display looks much nicer. Bob 

A lot more pictures coming, very nice collection.

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Vegas trip 189.jpg

The Duryea brothers are famous for being clearly one of the first, if not THE first, gasoline powered automobiles built in America. They also won one of the first true automobile races in the world, the 1895 Chicago race. Remember, this is before Henry Ford's first car was made to run. Shortly after these successes, Charles and Frank had a falling out over which of the two were most responsible for their success. Frank went on to engineer for a few automobiles for other companies. One company became known as one of the best automobiles of the era, The Stevens Duryea. Charles went on to work on mostly smaller and less grand automobiles, several under variations of the "Charles Duryea" name, where they made a number of unusual cars and even oddities. This tricycle was one such unusual car. These were also sold with a matching trailer to carry additional passengers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

It will take awhile. Something to do while I drink a beer, maybe two, ok three.:D

How many beers so far?🍺🍻?

3 minutes ago, Ozstatman said:

How many beers so far?🍺🍻?

just finished my third, and I am nursing them.:lol:

• Like 2

Hi X' ! The black one, that  big beautiful roadster,  is a 1913 Cadillac. Thank you for taking all the pictures and sharing them with us. 

-   Cadillac Carl. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Vegas trip 257.jpg

Vegas trip 258.jpg

Xander W has shown several Franklin automobiles. If were better with computers.I would "quote" all of them into a single post, but as I am?

This one is one of my favorite Franklins.

William Harrah had a fondness for Franklin automobiles also. Before he died, he had amassed the largest collection of Franklin automobiles in the world. At least one for every year they were manufactured.

In the realm of the largest of the many early collectors of historic automobiles, he was a relative newcomer, beginning his collection about 1950. Barney Pollard, H A Clark, and James Melton among others had been collecting since before World War II. Thousands of antique automobiles were saved for future generations because of these early collectors. But Harrah surpassed them all. He not only amassed the largest collection, he did something even more important. While the earlier collectors may have saved more cars, Harrah began setting a higher standard for restoration. While the earlier collectors showed and drove survivor cars, and did in fact restore many cars, Bill Harrah presented cars nearly as close to how they were when they were new as his resources would allow. I never got to meet Bill Harrah, I had several friends that knew him, and had he lived a few years longer, it is likely I would have. It is a regret that I didn't make the effort early enough. But I was just a kid in those days.

• Like 1