Car pictures

Xander Wildeisen

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Vegas trip 280.jpg

Vegas trip 281.jpg

Okay, I will stick my neck out a bit here. I am not certain, but I believe the top car is one of the last Maxwell cars. I would guess a '23, built after Walter P Chrysler took over the company. Anybody know for certain? I welcome corrections.

Also sticking my neck out a bit, I am fairly sure the coupe best seen in this second photo is the one year only 1923 Chevrolet air-cooled car! Chevrolet thought they would cut into Franklin's territory a bit. They did not get Franklin's approval, nor did they pay royalties for Franklin's patents. They attempted to blitz into the market, had built some number of cars, and sold a fair number of them. When the cars hit the market, and the first advertisements were out, Franklin threatened Chevrolet. General Motors attempted to recall all the air-cooled cars, and converted them to standard water cooled type or simply replaced them. Only a couple of the cars escaped the recall. Harrah was able to acquire this one and restored it, along with an air-cooled motor. I have heard rumors that there may be another one, but I never heard anything about it for certain. I am recalling this from memory from a very good article published about these cars in one of the hobby magazines back around 1970. I probably still have it, if I could find it.

2 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Vegas trip 282.jpg

Vegas trip 283.jpg

The first picture is a Studebaker. I should know the year and model as it is very distinctive, but I am too lazy and late to look it up, and I don't wish to be wrong again. I "quoted" this forward to point out the display in the second photo. It is a comparison of the '23 Chevrolet air-cooled motor and one of Chevrolet's standard engines of the early/mid '20s.

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Vegas trip 289.jpg

Vegas trip 290.jpg

This car (shown here and in the photo originally above this one) is the one and only 1925 Julian. This car is so special, so amazingly different from almost everything else in the era, one really must find and read a lengthy article about it to appreciate it! A few people have jokingly called it the "Tucker of the '20s". The inside is like a sitting parlor. The driver sits in the middle. A few safety features decades ahead of their time. And a rear mounted rotary engine (sound familiar?).

It was also my younger brother's favorite of all automobiles ever. 

Hi, Billy ! Yes, go. But make sure to go early in the year. It really gets hot in the Summer. See if there is some special car activity you can enjoy while you are there. Lots of fine people who have cool old cars live in and around 'Vegas. The museum X' is showing us is in Reno, though.

This picture was taken April 6th, 2016. My guess is that 'Vegas still looks pretty similar. I have heard that the spectacle which is "The Strip" was funded by gambling losses. I quit while I was ahead back in the '60s. That was when I went to Harrah's collection in Sparks, just out of Reno.

Have a great trip, and do explore the beautiful scenery in Nevada. I love it.     -    Carl 

C18ACCAC-87C7-4CCD-9929-ABE076AE42DB.jpeg

• Like 1

Oops, I thought it was in Vegas. My mistake! Well, if I am ever going to go that far, I'd have to see both, anyway. It might happen some day. I don't fly, so it would be a long drive...but I enjoy that immensely so I would not be complaining. 

6 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

This car (shown here and in the photo originally above this one) is the one and only 1925 Julian. This car is so special, so amazingly different from almost everything else in the era, one really must find and read a lengthy article about it to appreciate it! A few people have jokingly called it the "Tucker of the '20s". The inside is like a sitting parlor. The driver sits in the middle. A few safety features decades ahead of their time. And a rear mounted rotary engine (sound familiar?).

It was also my younger brother's favorite of all automobiles ever. 

I took pictures of different things that I was not going to post, just doing a picture of each car. This car also has the rear mounted engine. Posted one picture of it already. 

Vegas trip 194.jpg

Vegas trip 193.jpg

Great photos......as a young person I remember having Bill stop by the house after Hershey for several years trying to pry a car away from my father........I still have it. Imagine the collection pre sale........you became numb from looking at it all. His tours were the BEST, they redefined doing it right. How the hobby has changed in the last 40 years.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

George Smolinski is buying? Let me pour the rest of this coffee out.:lol: Then I will get side tracked, and post SEMA pictures.:huh:

Vegas trip 117.jpg

Vegas trip 134.jpg

🤮 

Excuse ME! (Steve Martin voice.....1978)

• Haha 2