Sign in to follow this  
Xander Wildeisen

Car pictures

Wonderful photos! Thank you for posting all these.

I see the Dymaxion behind the '07 Thomas Flyer is coming along nicely. I had a chance to spend a couple hours going through the collection a few years ago. The Dymaxion had just been brought in for restoration by the staff. At the time I saw it, work had not yet begun on the Dymaxion. I do wonder what the Thomas was in the shop for? It has its own spot on special display elsewhere in the museum.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I see no reason why I should not be driving this Franklin.:lol:

The signs say "ADOPT-A-CAR" so why not?😉

Edited by Ozstatman (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

So many photos to comment upon, and I type so slow (and computers have a nasty way of losing things halfway through!!!!)

The silly looking contraption with the small steel wheels is the Philion Steam Carriage built in 1902. Predating the earliest gasoline powered automobiles built in America, it is one of the earliest "automobiles" built in America to still exist. Side note about it, it was used in a couple of movies while Bill Harrah was still alive. If I recall correctly, it was shown in the Red Skelton movie "Excuse My Dust".

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Vegas trip 187.jpg

The French built such wonderful cars in the early days! These De Dion Bouton cars were, and still are amazing. Quite popular still for early Veteran era (English and European pre 1905) runs (like the London to Brighton). They are quite small. Consider that is a Curved Dash Oldsmobile it is sitting next to. The CDO is nearly twice the size of the De Dion Bouton, yet the CDO is about a third the size of a model T Ford! That several of these little cars run the sixty plus miles in the L to B nearly every year and nearly all of them finish, nearly every year, is incredible!

It should also be remembered that De Dion also sold many hundreds of engines around the world to other small beginning automobile manufacturers. Many American cars from 1898 to 1902 used De Dion engines, including Crestmobile, and if I recall correctly, the few first Pierce automobiles. De Dion engines were also manufactured under license in this country.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

If the lights went out...... and no one was looking.......:lol:

Vegas trip 224.jpg

Vegas trip 225.jpg

Ah, the wonderful Mercer Raceabout! Certainly a favorite for many if not most of the Horseless Carriage crowd. For me, a curious memory. When I was still in high school (I was a strange kid, loved antique automobiles from the time I began walking), I had heard about a big tour in a nearby town. The Santa Clara Horseless Carriage Club was hosting its annual "Blossom Tour". I talked my mom (best mom ever!) into taking a like-minded friend and I to where the tour's host hotel was just to look at the cars. While walking around, admiring the cars, a yellow flash went by, and stopped not thirty feet from where I stood! It was one of Harrahs crew, driving a Mercer Raceabout. When I went through the remaining collection a few years ago, and again now, I cannot help but wonder whether that could be the Mercer I saw, and heard, that day nearly fifty years ago?

• Like 1