New Gear Head Movie

capngrog

I was just checking my email and found one from Hagerty's Newsletter featuring a video of the making of the new movie "Ford v Ferrari", which is to hit the theaters this coming Friday, November 15th.  This looks like it may be a good one (movie).  This video gives a little insight on why these movie productions cost so much.  The specialized machinery and camera vehicles are amazing.  Seeing the car shot from a cannon was very impressive.

Anyway, here's the link to the video:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/11/07/behind-the-scenes-ford-v-ferrari-with-matt-damon-and-christian-bale?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Daily_News_Monday_Nov_11

Cheers,

Grog

P.S.  If the link doesn't open, just copy and paste it to your browser.

After what Ford deliberately did to Ken Miles (was near a 1/2 hour ahead but told to slow down to stage a tie, without bothering to tell him that the FIA had already said "if there is a tie, the Ken Miles car will come in 2nd"), have no desire to see it. May be why I have never owned a Ford.

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/4077/watch-the-bittersweet-story-behind-the-ford-gt40s-1966-le-mans-photo-finish

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, padgett said:

After what Ford deliberately did to Ken Miles

And this even after Henry (and "his way or the highway") was long gone! 😨

16 hours ago, padgett said:

After what Ford deliberately did to Ken Miles (was near a 1/2 hour ahead but told to slow down to stage a tie, without bothering to tell him that the FIA had already said "if there is a tie, the Ken Miles car will come in 2nd"), have no desire to see it. May be why I have never owned a Ford.

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/4077/watch-the-bittersweet-story-behind-the-ford-gt40s-1966-le-mans-photo-finish

Couldn't find it. Although I only scrolled about five pages.

I saw the film yesterday.  Sad story for Henry Ford II.   Has any other race had the winner picked by distance traveled, based on starting position?

Also I'd like to know if Carroll Shelby stayed with Ford after that, I think so, but Why?  (I know, money)

4 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I saw the film yesterday.  Sad story for Henry Ford II.   Has any other race had the winner picked by distance traveled, based on starting position?

I'm not sure, but I believe that an elapsed time race may be set for any period of time, ranging from 30 minutes to 24 hours.   Many races are for a set elapsed period of time such as 24 hrs (Daytona Rolex 24) or 12 hrs. (12 Hours of Sebring), and the winner is the one covering the longest distance in that amount of time.  Given a photo finish, with identical number of laps run, I guess it could come down to a matter of just a few feet driven, such as position on the starting grid.  Have any other major elapsed time races been determined by a difference in distance traveled of just a few feet?

Paul, how did you like the movie?  Is it worth going to a theatre, or should we wait for the release of the DVD (or other playback medium) ... or is it not worth seeing at all?

Cheers,

Grog

Edited by capngrog
Add a sentence (see edit history)

They made it into a soap opera, but with lots of fast car shots and sounds.   I could have waited for the TV version, but we went with a bunch of gearheads.

The motor trend channel had a different version in black and white without the soap.  I guess I should have saved the expense of $6.00 Popcorn and a $5.00

soda.   I did learn that Ken Miles was the cheif mechanic in design of the modified GT 40, not Carroll Shelby.   

I still don;t think I ever heard of Jeff Gordon winning a race by finishing second because he started in the 3rd row.   The LeMans Start is a foot race to begin with

and parking position determined by qualifying.   Why reward slow qualifiers and slow runners?

Being that I play with, restore and work on vintage cars, including 45+ year old Ferraris, wife wanted us to go see this movie and while traditionally and especially before getting tangled with me, cars have been just appliances to her, she appeared to have enjoyed the movie a lot more than I did*, but her enthusiasm might’ve been skewed due to her opinions & regards of 2 leading actors.

*I thought it was entertaining and most of the character performances were quite good.

Wouldn’t be surprised if C.B. receives an Oscar nomination.

If you’re the kind who gets hung up on vast “artistic liberties”/inaccuracies typically seen in all Hollywood productions pertaining to any historical events or periods, you may be better off spending your time on something else.

• Like 1

We were going to see it last night, but my son had other plans, so we'll see it in a few days. The trailers are interesting because they seem to portray Ford Motor Company as "the little guy", at least in terms of LeMans. While that may be an accurate characterization of Carroll Shelby and his team, I don't know if you can really say that about Ford. The movie Flash of Genius (2008) portrayed FoMoCo as a pretty domineering ruthless company. It will be interesting to see how they come off in this movie, and likewise with Ferrari. 

The point is that Ford asked the LeMans officials during the race on a specific instance of a tie (was this in the movie) and the ruling before the race was over was that the Ken Miles car would come in second, something they never told the drivers.

Was the Lola GT given proper credit ? Road and Track had a major article in 62 or 63 and the Lola GT cutaway  was one of the gearhead posters before 1964.

d1fa4170e86fdc7e79b3d66aaed4a0c7--ford-g

Yes I understand "artistic license" but not when it becomes historical revisionism. Maybe you need to be a racer to understand the level of betrayal that occurred.

If you are looking for historical accuracy I suggest sticking to print sources. Hollywood is generally known for entertainment. 75% of the people who see this movie will not even know what a GT40 is beforehand. Lola, not a chance even 10% will have heard of.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

If you are looking for historical accuracy I suggest sticking to print sources. Hollywood is generally known for entertainment. 75% of the people who see this movie will not even know what a GT40 is beforehand. Lola, not a chance even 10% will have heard of.

Greg in Canada

and 99% of those reading this forum know this already!  I just finished reading "Lawrence in Arabia" by Scott Anderson,an amazingly well researched treatise. It did not detract at all for my admiration for David Lean's movie which bent the facts all over the place right from the start when Lawrence was riding and killed on the incorrect model of Brough  . And there is no guarantee that everything you read is 100% historically accurate . I enjoy books and movies! 

1 hour ago, Barry Brown said:

. And there is no guarantee that everything you read is 100% historically accurate .

LOL ! Now there’s an understatement if I’ve ever heard/read/seen one and I would say it even applies to 99 or more out of 100 non-fiction, so-called history books and writings, etc. 😉

• Like 1

I went to this movie yesterday with a group of local car enthusiasts. I thought was a great movie, even if it’s not 100% accurate. I loved all of the period correct cars in the background. It probably helps that I own a late model Shelby and enjoyed seeing “Carroll” in his early days

Kevin

• Like 1

Saw it tonight with my family and enjoyed it more than any movie I can recall in recent memory. They got the big facts correct so nobody will object and it's not really Ford vs. Ferrari, it's really more of "How Ford built a car that beat Ferrari despite being Ford." It's also a love song to Ken Miles, who I think deserves it and I hope he was even half the man he appears to be in the film.

See it. Be open to it instead of nit-picking. You won't regret it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2019 at 12:03 PM, padgett said:

Yes I understand "artistic license" but not when it becomes historical revisionism. Maybe you need to be a racer to understand the level of betrayal that occurred.

Padgett;

Betrayal is betrayal, no matter what the circumstances, and it is easily recognizable even by those not familiar with the technical details of a particular activity.  According to most reviews I've seen, Ken Miles was treated quite decently in the film.  Face it, with all the questions you've posted, you need to see the movie yourself, but be careful, you might even enjoy it.😄

Cheers,

Grog

Oh I'll see it when it comes to HBO and I have closed captions so no missed dialog.

Also just to be clear, while the movie may or may not be historically accurate, was a road-racing fanatic when it happened and was affected then. Did not realize it until now but may be why I've never owned a Ford. So am not particularly interested in how Hollywood spins it, just to me it rivals the Black Sox in baseball.

Car culture is a diverse mix of style, passion, science, art, and competition that makes for some fantastic stories. Filmmakers have used cars, car chases, and automotive culture on more than a few occasions as the basis for movies that have gone on to become classics.