THANK YOU TO OUR VETERANS

Terry Wiegand

11 minutes ago, padgett said:

"You can blame this on your navigator."

Naah, was just dropped into another site with a number with a comm van that needed to either get up and running or destroyed. Was either raining or wet, noisy or very noisy. Smells were "interesting". Borders were very fluid.

LS-85?

Cheers,

Grog

Every year,it's the same old rant from the Vietnam vets. ,we didn't get our parade ".guess what? There was no VJ Day andJohnny didn't come marching home. We came back a plane load at a time.  of course there was no fanfare.  my folks drove from north Hollywood to El Toro MCAS and picked me up and drove me home.  Pretty good parade I think. My GF and now my wife of 50 years waited at the house.best homecoming ever.    Doc 1st Battalion 1st Marines RVN 67 68 Still glad to be back in the world

• Thanks 2

Carl I too was very happy to be home and a PFC (proud fing civilian) again. Made that rank 3 times, sp4 twice and sp5 once the last pfc was the best. Didn’t need any parades but also didn’t need a long hair kid calling me a baby killer as I walked through O’Hare airport with my family and girl that met me. No parades just respect for the uniform if not for the person. 

Dave S 

2 hours ago, CarlLaFong said:

Every year,it's the same old rant from the Vietnam vets. ,we didn't get our parade ".guess what? There was no VJ Day andJohnny didn't come marching home. We came back a plane load at a time.  of course there was no fanfare.  my folks drove from north Hollywood to El Toro MCAS and picked me up and drove me home.  Pretty good parade I think. My GF and now my wife of 50 years waited at the house.best homecoming ever.    Doc 1st Battalion 1st Marines RVN 67 68 Still glad to be back in the world

I didn't need or necessarily want thanks much less parades, just strongly disliked being treated like dog poop on one's shoe--by too many people for that to have been an anomaly.  I well recall the requirement to travel commercially in civilian clothes on official business for decades UNTIL the Gulf War.  THEN was the first time in 25 yrs anybody bought the uniformed me a drink in an airport bar, and the experience was overwhelming.  I very much like Bob's example of anonymously buying uniformed personnel a meal or drink.

For myself, on Memorial Day I remember and pray for those who died, and EVERY DAY I thank God for giving me the fullness of these years and the ability to participate in hobbies like this one.  On Veterans Day, I remember and pray especially for those who came back physically and/or psychologically damaged, and I've known a lot of them.

I guess I am living in a different world than so many vets.  it's been over 50 years since I stepped onto the tarmac at El Toro.  Not one time since have I felt even the slightest bit of disrespect from anyone regarding my service. I have always received the finest treatment from the VA. Never been spit on  or called a name and this was mostly in liberal SoCal, no less

Had a nice experience while traveling to the AACA Meet in Mobile - Delta Airlines announced early boarding for Active Duty and Retired military.

I'd not heard the "retired" before with any other airline.   Felt pretty good.  In CA, when we arrived at our hotel in San Diego, my wife went inside to check-n while I waited in the car.  The young desk clerk came running out, stuck his hand out towards me and said "thanks for your service."  Sure made my day.

Terry

We rent a house on the beach in NC near Camp Lejune for week every September. Two years ago we rented a different house and when booking it in the rental office the young lady asked if I was a "service man" and if so the house owners offered a 15% discount to those who had served. I said I was in the navy but that was a long time ago. She said that was fine and the discount ($300) would apply. I sincerely thanked her and the house owners. She paused, looked me straight in the eye and said: "No, thank you. You deserve it"

What a thoughtful and appreciated way to show respect to those who protect..............Bob

• Like 1

8 hours ago, padgett said:

"You can blame this on your navigator."

Naah, was just dropped into another site with a number with a comm van that needed to either get up and running or destroyed. Was either raining or wet, noisy or very noisy. Smells were "interesting". Borders were very fluid.

Sounds like my trip back into uniform for the first Gulf War after 16.5 years of civilian life, expected to be going to the desert, didn't think it was going to be the Texas Mexico boarder desert.

5 hours ago, CarlLaFong said:

I guess I am living in a different world than so many vets.  it's been over 50 years since I stepped onto the tarmac at El Toro.  Not one time since have I felt even the slightest bit of disrespect from anyone regarding my service. I have always received the finest treatment from the VA. Never been spit on  or called a name and this was mostly in liberal SoCal, no less

Glad you had such a wonderful homecoming Carl. Mine was more like Grimy's, spit on by the first girl I saw after landing in San Diego, booed out of my hometown night club because I wore my uniform and none of my old school buddies wanted to hear about  my year in combat. Came home and put my Eagle Globe and Anchor in the closet for the next 30 years instead of being able to wear it with the pride it deserved, your experience may vary!

Howard Dennis

Charlie Battery  1st Battalion  12th Marines  3rd Marine Division

Viet Nam 1968-1969

My coming home was different. Needed to do a few things in Detroit. Went to the Avis counter to rent a car. Went to car. 10 minutes later I had to get help from a counter lady to show me where the key in a 70 Cutlass went. Had never seen a modern American car with a steering column lock.

Did not experience anything like hddennis in south Florida, all my forefathers & many friends had been in one of the services so nothing out of the ordinary. Two things I missed the most were proper American English and fresh milk.

I never had the chance to serve due to my health, but I thank everyone who did and does. 

I have had family members in every war the US has ever been involved in. I have my father's father's duffle bag with his name and sn printed on it, it's one of my most prized historical artifacts. He served at the Battle of the Bulge.

• Thanks 1

I attended the Veterans’ Day parade in Southern Pines, NC. Highlights included a flyover of vintage military planes performing the Missing Man Formation and a parachute drop with three parachutists landing in a spot on the main street. Veterans were driven in old - or new - cars, driven by the owner and preceded by someone with a placard showing his/her name and service. Near the reviewing stand, the name of each veteran was announced as well.  Veterans rode in groups by conflict - all the WWII veterans in one group, all the Korean War veterans in another, the Viet Nam veterans next, etc. It was very nicely done. Gave us a chance to see a great bunch of cars and honor a great bunch of people.

• Like 1

A very special thank you to all that have served in our nation's armed forces.

This past Veterans Day was a little bittersweet for us.

My step-dad passed away very recently and his funeral was this past Friday.

He served in the Navy during Vietnam as a rescue diver and in the engine room.

Being a little older than those that were being drafted he signed up and served his country as his father had done in WWII.

He was always very active in veterans events and was always there to lend a hand to anyone that needed it.

So the weekend started off by saying a final goodby to him, then Sat my daughter's Young Marine unit put flags out at Arlington Cemetery.

Sunday she had color guard duty for a local 244th Marines birthday event.

Monday her unit marched in a local Veteran's Day parade and then later it was another round of color guard for another event.

We were very busy trying the best we could to honor those that have served, those whose service we can never fully repay them for.

There is some military history in our family - one of my mom's uncles was KIA Dec 25th during Battle of the Bulge.

Step dad served in Vietnam.

Brother in law did his 22 years in the USMC and retired as a Gunny.

Niece is a FSgt in the USAF and is a crew chief on an F-22.

Nephew just finished USMC OCS and is awaiting his commission.

I'm very glad that my daughter wanted to join the Young Marines and has developed a deep appreciation for those that have served along with a deep sense of patriotism.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, hddennis said:

Glad you had such a wonderful homecoming Carl. Mine was more like Grimy's, spit on by the first girl I saw after landing in San Diego, booed out of my hometown night club because I wore my uniform and none of my old school buddies wanted to hear about  my year in combat. Came home and put my Eagle Globe and Anchor in the closet for the next 30 years instead of being able to wear it with the pride it deserved, your experience may vary!

Howard Dennis

Charlie Battery  1st Battalion  12th Marines  3rd Marine Division

Viet Nam 1968-1969

Accept my sincere apologies for the thoughtless few...................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 3