CARS or Bobs?! Which is better?

Selim

I have had good results with both for my 1937 and 1938 Buicks. I typically check both of their websites and order some items from one and some from the other. There are a few items that one will have that the other will not. 

6 hours ago, mobileparts said:

Neither is any good -- unless they are the only Chinese selling repro outfits that have it.....

A poor way to do business.  Nothing is to be gained by "bad mouthing" competition.  I have bought many things from Bob's and have always had good satisfaction.

6 hours ago, mobileparts said:

I have all USA made NEWand N.O.S. --- depending on what you are looking for..

Tell people what you have and let the market decide.   Spend your time checking your grammar, punctuation and spelling, be perfect yourself and don't worry about the other guy.

My working life (59 years and three different occupations, was providing things and/or service to customers.  In large cities with lots of choices and in small towns where we were the only game in town.  Competition is GOOD for a business and running your opposition down is BAD for business.  ALLWAYS talk about your pluses, NEVER talk about their minuses.  Even if your customer tells you how bad the other guy is, commiserate with them but don't speak badly about the other guy.

This and previous similar negative posts lead me to say that I would not deal with you.

9 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I thought you left out an "O".

that would be if the question was what best to spend your money on......  Ha!

I have purchased from both companies years ago. No issues for me. 

• Haha 1

There was always some back yard guy trying to compete with me.

I made it a point to look them up and even offer some discounts.

Some of those guys turned out to be good customers before they folded.

I hate having to go into something that the first guy couldn't figure out.

Keep in mind that SOME reproduction parts offered for sale by various retailers are the very same parts from the very same manufacturers. In those situations, you will get the same parts no matter whom you buy from. But some parts are made by more than one manufacturer, and quality varies. This is especially true with cars for which LOTS of reproduction parts are available (Example, Mustang, Camaro, etc). Another example is common replacement parts, such as rubber weatherstripping, etc. Multiple manufacturers, and quality varies. 

After a nearly 40-year career working for many companies who make and/or sell reproduction car parts, I would recommend your first action to join a Buick club, and find their own forum online. Then I would suggest that you ask experienced members about the PARTS you need, and seek recommendations that way...as opposed to asking about a particular RETAILER. Then, if consensus of opinions are that (example), company "X" makes the best weatherstrip (or upholstery, etc, etc) for your model Buick...you can then call retailers and request that particular brand, and ask about price and availability. Experienced Buick collectors will already know that one brand of part is a better choice than another brand...no matter who you buy it from. (This assumes that there is more than one brand available). For used and/or New Old Stock (NOS) parts, your fellow club members will be very helpful with recommendations here too. 

My above comment has to do with the fact that MOST shoppers for reproduction parts still have the habit of calling multiple retailers and asking for price quotes, and then choosing the cheapest source. But this can backfire badly with repro parts. 

For example, the ZL-2 "Fresh Air" Cowl Hoods for 1969 Camaro models (also fit 1967 & 68) are manufactured by at least five different factories, in wildly varying quality levels. Yet when shoppers call several retailers asking for price quotes, the retailers are afraid of losing the sale, and consequently will offer the least expensive hood. Then the hood shows up at the shopper's door, and he is disappointed with the quality. Retailers actually make more profits from the higher-priced better-quality hoods...but they tend to lose the sale when price-shoppers call. 

I just wish the shoppers understood that there often are choices with brand and quality of reproduction parts, and would take the time to ask more-experienced restorers about which brand of parts are the best choice. If they are just trying to patch together a junk heap and blow it out, then of course they will prefer the cheapest part...which is fine for them. But it always seems a shame when someone is trying to make the finest possible restoration on a special car, and ends up with poor quality parts. 

Worst of all, these folks can be heard at most car events bad-mouthing the restoration parts industry as a whole. Such a shame. 

Edited by lump (see edit history)

3 hours ago, lump said:

Keep in mind that SOME reproduction parts offered for sale by various retailers are the very same parts from the very same manufacturers. In those situations, you will get the same parts no matter whom you buy from. But some parts are made by more than one manufacturer, and quality varies. This is especially true with cars for which LOTS of reproduction parts are available (Example, Mustang, Camaro, etc). Another example is common replacement parts, such as rubber weatherstripping, etc. Multiple manufacturers, and quality varies. 

After a nearly 40-year career working for many companies who make and/or sell reproduction car parts, I would recommend your first action to join a Buick club, and find their own forum online. Then I would suggest that you ask experienced members about the PARTS you need, and seek recommendations that way...as opposed to asking about a particular RETAILER. Then, if consensus of opinions are that (example), company "X" makes the best weatherstrip (or upholstery, etc, etc) for your model Buick...you can then call retailers and request that particular brand, and ask about price and availability. Experienced Buick collectors will already know that one brand of part is a better choice than another brand...no matter who you buy it from. (This assumes that there is more than one brand available). For used and/or New Old Stock (NOS) parts, your fellow club members will be very helpful with recommendations here too. 

Thank u all for the tips

here is a copy of the items intended to be ordered. I checked with Bobs first. Will add more items and try them this time then will come back here with my experience and how it went

my car is Buick super 1949. Hope those items r correct for my car.

thanks

Thank u all for the tips

here is a copy of the items intended to be ordered. I checked with Bobs first. Will add more items and try them this time then will come back here with my experience and how it went

my car is Buick super 1949. Hope those items r correct for my car.

thanks

016402E0-A28F-43A1-9321-B85909F64988.png