1926 switch

rjp

Sometimes the switch just needs washing in mineral spirits to get the oil out of the inside contacts.

If that doesn't get it working, and it's not broken, it can be opened by drilling out the rivets, clean and goop the contacts with lots of anti-corrosion paste to keep oil out and then riveted back together.  You can use shoe repair eyelets for the rivets and the simple tools to install them.

Paul

DSCN8414.JPG

DSCN8413.JPG

Several other makes used similar switches.  Here are pictures of my extra stop light switch that was used on GMs and others.

Also many motorcycles used a stoplight switch that was pull operated and of course Henry's car both different but could be adapted.

DSC03103.JPG

DSC03104.JPG

DSC03105.JPG

DSC03106.JPG

Lucas motorcycle.jpg

30 ford.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@PFitz - where is the "official" place that the chain from the brake light switch should connect to the pedal - it doesn't seem that there's anywhere like a small hole to hook in to.

I've got mine working, but just was never sure where to connect the front end of the chain to.

Roger

Much lower class of automobile but on my Pontiac there is a hole drilled in the pedal arm.  The chain is hooked into the end of a cotter pin which is inserted through the pedal and the ends are bent out.

23 hours ago, theKiwi said:

@PFitz - where is the "official" place that the chain from the brake light switch should connect to the pedal - it doesn't seem that there's anywhere like a small hole to hook in to.

I've got mine working, but just was never sure where to connect the front end of the chain to.

Roger

Roger,

The chain runs under the floor board/toe board support bar and attaches to the foot pedal arm at the same point as the pedal return spring. 

In this picture, you can see the silver chain is attached by a loop of wire to the pedal arm. The length of that wire loop adjusts the tension on the switch return spring so that the switch is just shy of having the brake light on when the pedal is in the fully up position.

Paul

P1010023.JPG

• Like 1

@PFitz - thanks for that. I hadn't considered allowing the chain to rub across the bottom of the floorboard support bar, and had been looking to connect it somewhere so it was a straight line not rubbing on anything.

I'll make that change sometime. I had got it set with a wire link as you show so that it comes on at the first movement of the pedal.

Cheers

Roger