1955 dodge Fargo coe

AaronM

Hello,

I have bought myself a 1955 dodge Fargo COE. I would like to make a car hauler out of it, but the frame is a little too short to custom build a deck.. my question is.. is there any frames that are pretty close or that are interchangeable to make it a bit longer? or is this something where I have to extend the frame rails off of the original?

any info, ideas would be muchly appreciated 

IMG_5079.jpeg

If the frame length is the only problem you could extend the frame and driveline. Out here in central WA, apple growing country, an awful lot of older flatbeds have extended frames. There's nothing unusual about that at all, in fact I cant remember the last time I saw a 1.5 ton or bigger that wasn't extended. My family, who were in the construction business had a 1951 International L-160 flatbed, also extended. Some family friends have a 1946 Chevrolet 1.5 ton they have been hauling apples with since new. It is extended.

Just looking at your truck, the wheels are about as far back from the back of the cab as our extended L--160. Your frame just doesn't go back as far behind the wheels. Maybe it needs extending back there, or maybe not. Maybe the bed rails would take care of that, or maybe the bed might need to tilt back there if it is going to be a slideback? Is that what you are doing?

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

If the frame length is the only problem you could extend the frame and driveline. Out here in central WA, apple growing country, an awful lot of older flatbeds have extended frames. There's nothing unusual about that at all, in fact I cant remember the last time I saw a 1.5 ton or bigger that wasn't extended. My family, who were in the construction business had a 1951 International L-160 flatbed, also extended. Some family friends have a 1946 Chevrolet 1.5 ton they have been hauling apples with since new. It is extended.

Just looking at your truck, the wheels are about as far back from the back of the cab as our extended L--160. Your frame just doesn't go back as far behind the wheels. Maybe it needs extending back there, or maybe not. Maybe the bed rails would take care of that, or maybe the bed might need to tilt back there if it is going to be a slideback? Is that what you are doing?

the frame after the back axle extends about 1 - 2 feet back.. maybe it needs about a 6 foot extension? then build the custom flat deck to haul a car... 

but yes that is what Im thinking.. have it flat towards the beginning of the truck and then start to angle it down towards the back. I don't like the style of decks I've seen on the net where it is a wicked incline. I would at least need about 16 feet of deck space for my car.