Charlie K

1933 Dodge Oil Bath

Recommended Posts

That doesn’t look like the oil bath air cleaner as pictured in my owners manual for 1933. I’m not near my car or manual right now to send a picture but there is no screen showing on the one I have. Zeke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like it might be a Burgess unit. Burgess also made a taller sealed unit that was just dipped in oil. They were used as the standard filter on '36 Dodges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Charlie K said:

stvaughn,

 

I use Google Translate. It's not perfect but works more or less accurate for a few sentences. I managed to communicate with it to a Japanese guy too.


https://translate.google.com/

 

Charlie K,

 

If your interested in it I’ll back off until you decide. If your not let me know. 
 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zeke01 said:

That doesn’t look like the oil bath air cleaner as pictured in my owners manual for 1933. I’m not near my car or manual right now to send a picture but there is no screen showing on the one I have. Zeke

 

It doesn't look like the "helmut style" filter shown in the '33 Plymouth instruction book either, but I've see a number of very original '33 Plymouths with filters that look like the one these photos. I suspect there was a running change fairly early in the model year and the one the OP posted is the later one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In fact I try to identify the air cleaner used on the 1935 Graham model 73 engine. The engine was later sold to the Japanese with the whole production line along with the Crusader model 80 line. The Crusader model 80 with the model 73 engine became the Nissan 70. The model 73 engine was used on the Nissan 80 and 180 trucks and Nissan 90 buses too. The attached picture shows the truck engine's air cleaner. (Don't bother with the Nissan emblem on it. Nissan advertised the model to the public as their own original design.) The air cleaner looks similar to those used on Dodge, Buick and Plymouth. It is maybe AC or Burgess design.

 

 

1935 Graham model 73 special 6 air cleaner.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stvaughn said:

I’m interested in that but don’t know how to contact in French. 

Try this link instead:

 

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1933-Dodge-Oil-Bath-BR/123763240289?hash=item1cd0dd2d61:g:in8AAOSw9Gdc1diC

 

The seller is actually in the US.  I use Google Translate regularly to talk to potential buyers is Quebec and it always seems to get the job done just in case you need it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is my understanding that the “helmet” style is not an oil bath per say but a helmet containing a mesh soaked in oil to catch dirt. The oil bath is different in appearance and function. There is a reservoir contains 50 weight oil that catches contaminates along with the mesh. I have one of both and prefer the oil bath. The other is messy because the excess oil simply drips down on the manifolds. This response comes with the caveat that I might be wrong. My ignorance would fill many books. Zeke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, zeke01 said:

It is my understanding that the “helmet” style is not an oil bath per say but a helmet containing a mesh soaked in oil to catch dirt. The oil bath is different in appearance and function. There is a reservoir contains 50 weight oil that catches contaminates along with the mesh. I have one of both and prefer the oil bath. The other is messy because the excess oil simply drips down on the manifolds. This response comes with the caveat that I might be wrong. My ignorance would fill many books. Zeke

 

Neither the helmut style nor the one in the photos above are oil bath: They are simply full of wire mesh that you are supposed to clean by rinsing in kerosene and then re-oil with heavy motor oil. I have both styles, one like above that came on my car and a helmut style to keep the judges in the Plymouth Club happy. They are both a royal pain with respect to dripping oil on the manifold. An oil bath filter would be a huge improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ply33 said:

 

Neither the helmut style nor the one in the photos above are oil bath: They are simply full of wire mesh that you are supposed to clean by rinsing in kerosene and then re-oil with heavy motor oil. I have both styles, one like above that came on my car and a helmut style to keep the judges in the Plymouth Club happy. They are both a royal pain with respect to dripping oil on the manifold. An oil bath filter would be a huge improvement.

According to my owners manual the 1933 Dodge had as an optional oil bath air cleaner (as described above). As an aside, the oil filler cap was also different from the one provided with the standard air filter. It may be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to provide photos, but I will show my evidence on the subject. Zeke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now