1933 Dodge Oil Bath

Charlie K

1 hour ago, zeke01 said:

That doesn’t look like the oil bath air cleaner as pictured in my owners manual for 1933. I’m not near my car or manual right now to send a picture but there is no screen showing on the one I have. Zeke

It doesn't look like the "helmut style" filter shown in the '33 Plymouth instruction book either, but I've see a number of very original '33 Plymouths with filters that look like the one these photos. I suspect there was a running change fairly early in the model year and the one the OP posted is the later one.

In fact I try to identify the air cleaner used on the 1935 Graham model 73 engine. The engine was later sold to the Japanese with the whole production line along with the Crusader model 80 line. The Crusader model 80 with the model 73 engine became the Nissan 70. The model 73 engine was used on the Nissan 80 and 180 trucks and Nissan 90 buses too. The attached picture shows the truck engine's air cleaner. (Don't bother with the Nissan emblem on it. Nissan advertised the model to the public as their own original design.) The air cleaner looks similar to those used on Dodge, Buick and Plymouth. It is maybe AC or Burgess design.

1935 Graham model 73 special 6 air cleaner.jpg

2 hours ago, stvaughn said:

I’m interested in that but don’t know how to contact in French. 

Try this link instead:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1933-Dodge-Oil-Bath-BR/123763240289?hash=item1cd0dd2d61:g:in8AAOSw9Gdc1diC

The seller is actually in the US.  I use Google Translate regularly to talk to potential buyers is Quebec and it always seems to get the job done just in case you need it.  

It is my understanding that the “helmet” style is not an oil bath per say but a helmet containing a mesh soaked in oil to catch dirt. The oil bath is different in appearance and function. There is a reservoir contains 50 weight oil that catches contaminates along with the mesh. I have one of both and prefer the oil bath. The other is messy because the excess oil simply drips down on the manifolds. This response comes with the caveat that I might be wrong. My ignorance would fill many books. Zeke

55 minutes ago, zeke01 said:

It is my understanding that the “helmet” style is not an oil bath per say but a helmet containing a mesh soaked in oil to catch dirt. The oil bath is different in appearance and function. There is a reservoir contains 50 weight oil that catches contaminates along with the mesh. I have one of both and prefer the oil bath. The other is messy because the excess oil simply drips down on the manifolds. This response comes with the caveat that I might be wrong. My ignorance would fill many books. Zeke

Neither the helmut style nor the one in the photos above are oil bath: They are simply full of wire mesh that you are supposed to clean by rinsing in kerosene and then re-oil with heavy motor oil. I have both styles, one like above that came on my car and a helmut style to keep the judges in the Plymouth Club happy. They are both a royal pain with respect to dripping oil on the manifold. An oil bath filter would be a huge improvement.

14 minutes ago, ply33 said:

Neither the helmut style nor the one in the photos above are oil bath: They are simply full of wire mesh that you are supposed to clean by rinsing in kerosene and then re-oil with heavy motor oil. I have both styles, one like above that came on my car and a helmut style to keep the judges in the Plymouth Club happy. They are both a royal pain with respect to dripping oil on the manifold. An oil bath filter would be a huge improvement.

According to my owners manual the 1933 Dodge had as an optional oil bath air cleaner (as described above). As an aside, the oil filler cap was also different from the one provided with the standard air filter. It may be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to provide photos, but I will show my evidence on the subject. Zeke

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2019 at 12:44 PM, Charlie K said:

I'm looking for type number and other data of this 1933 Dodge Oil Bath.

https://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/1933-Dodge-Oil-Bath-BR/123763240289?hash=item1cd0dd2d61:g:in8AAOSw9Gdc1diC

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

It sure does look like a 36 Dodge air cleaner as seen below.

Edit on 11/27: just looked closer at the 36 air filter more closely.  It does *not* have radial embossing as shown in this thread’s first pic ; it has a smooth top. Pic to come later.

IMG_0026.JPG

Edited by Pete in PA (see edit history)