Questions 1931 Franklin or 1931 Graham Paige..?

I am thinking of buying a '31 Graham Paige sedan, and would like to know if they have a 3 speed or 4 speed transmission..?  And is the transmission a syncromesh..?   ..... or do you need to double clutch as with a Model A ford ..?

What speed would you drive it at, for a 200 mile touring trip, that felt comfortable for a car (6 cylinder), that was in good mechanical condition, with good brakes and tires..???   I am considering a 1930 Franklin sedan or a 1931 Graham Paige.... both 6 cylinder, both hydraulic brakes... But I don,t know which one would be best engineered for long distance touring and daily driver..?  Considering they are both in the same mechanical condition.

Any thoughts based on experience or real knowledge of these two vehicles would be appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...

1930 and later Franklins are great tour cars. They cruise comfortably at 50-55 mph. Franklin got synchros in 1932, but they are somewhat primitive and require either slow shifting or double clutching. The 1930 Franklin has 95 hp, not sure about the Graham Paige, but I would venture to guess that you would have greater support and parts availability with the Franklin.

My bigger question would be which one is really in better shape.  Because even though they are in the same shape mechanically as you stated,  few old cars,  even the exact same make and model are in the same shape mechanically.  Now yes you can fix almost any problem,  it can easily make the hobby not so fun,  unless you like fixing more than driving.

Which one is in the most reliable turn key condition right now. Easier to start out with the best,  than try to get it there,  again unless you really liking the wrenching aspect. 

Think about all the problems that can happen with the cooling system of a water cooled engine. Now think of an engine that has none of those.

Then think about the weight, it's wear, and steering effort,  that a water cooled, cast iron engined car, of similar size and power, puts on the front end components and tires. Subtract most of that for the Franklin.

Can you swap out a bad piston and cylinder on the side of the road in about one hour, with a water cooled car ?

Paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

I think I'd have to go along with the Model A Ford with exceptions. Get an overdrive and cast iron brake drums for it and maintain the brakes in perfect condition. But if you want riding comfort, speed, good brakes, no problems with radiators, water or antifreeze and a good support group for parts information and help without conditions GET A 1930 OR LATER FRANKLIN!

Bill

Edited by hook
GRAMMER (see edit history)

I would agree on condition and general maintenance (check the wood!).  I would like to drive both cars first.  I can only directly talk about the Graham, but what model?  This is a huge difference, the small sixes like 45-50 mph and have a good synchromesh transmission, most likely a 3 speed, again model.  A big six will cruse at 60-65 all day, lower rear end ratio.  The eights are wonderful cars, the eight won't break a sweat at 60mph.  Pictures would be great, if you want a "sure thing" I would have someone check both cars out.  In my opinion they are both wonderful cars.  My 15 year old son (with his drivers permit) drove my Graham-Paige 827 over 100 miles with 4 passengers at our last meet. 

1781029140_1929GrahamPaige827Sedan.thumb.jpg.2fa876e67af62220266315138a9b46dd.jpg