2nevets

1938 desoto popping out of 3rd

Any suggestions appreciated-pops out constantly I have to hold the shifter to keep it in gear-I have my eye on a used trans but if it does not pan out??

Usually a problem in the shifting gate or tower. Also a worn bearing or bushing could cause the problem. If a trans is not too expensive I would buy one anyway, so if you dig into it deep, you have options.You can PM me your phone number and a I can walk you through the tower and shifting gates.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

It may be serviceable in place. Pull the carpet, floor boards, and trans tower/cover. The shifting gate detents and shifter spring, along with the forks and thrust springs are all in the cover. It's probably a 90 percent chance its in the cover. When did this issue start to occur? Is it new?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jackofalltrades70 said:

If any motor or tranny mounts are rubber and deteriorated, this could be causing your problem.

Matt

they look good

I pulled the cover and all looks good 
there are 3 balls 
one under each shift plate I guess is what you would call it and one thats in the middle of the 2 plates-the ball in the middle looks tiny and what purpose does it serve?