Sign in to follow this  
Kfigel

'22 Studebaker Big Six Upholstery

I’m looking for reproduction leather seat material to redo the two seat bottoms of my 1922 Studebaker Big Six Speedster (similar to a Touring model).  The original seat backs are in good shape and have a lengthwise grain to them.  Picture attached.  Any ideas where I might be able to location this material?  Thanks 

'22 Stude Seat .jpg

Is that actually leather or some sort of leatherette? If leatherette it is likely going to be tough to match because basically nothing is made from pyroxylin anymore, it will be PVC. Grain looks kind of like "Cobra Long Grain"? Maybe some model A Ford closed car top material. Maybe Cobra Short Grain if long grain is too big?

If it actually leather, apparently someone still makes Cobra Long Grain. http://www.globalupholstery.com/product/leathers/black-leather.html# Not sure if the grain size would be even close, or where to get it.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

If you establish it's leather, then you need to contact numerous leather suppliers and see what they have.  I did a car a while back that had a similar long grain leather, and it was just a lucky phone call that found two hides, last ones that particular company had in stock, and they were glad to be rid of them.

I deal with Coast to Coast leather a bit, never seen that grain in their samples but worth a call.

Are you positive that's original upholstery?  Could be the camera angle but that looks more over stuffed than what cars usually came with from the factory.  Remember that an upholstery job done in 1950 would look "original" to us   Not criticizing, just asking....

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

Picture of the original leather seat in my 1923 Light Six.  If you zoom in a bit, it looks like a similar grain pattern.

Scott

DSC04497.thumb.JPG.1acebba21294a4c502a505445456fcc2.JPG

Thanks for the input.  I know it's the original material as I know the history of the car from new, believe it or not!  I also believe it's leather, but not 100% on that.  Here's another photo showing a tape measure next to the grain; the distance between the sewn seams is 3-3/4".  Again, thanks and I'll follow up on the leads.  

'22 Studebaker .jpg