OLD HEADLIGHT BULB QUESTION

I started picking up these old bulbs about 30 years ago when I came across them.  The Chickasha Swap Meet and the Model A Ford Meet in Wichita, Kansas were where I got them.  I carried a 9-Volt radio battery with me and checked them to make sure that they were good before buying them.  I couldn't think of any good reason to buy a bad bulb.  Here is my question for you guys out there.  The two dark tinted bulbs in the photo are a total mystery.  I had never seen any of them like that before I got these and I have never seen any others like them since.  They appear to be a 'Smoky Grey' color.  Has anyone ever seen any bulbs like this before?  Does anybody know WHY they would have a tint like this?  I had the headlight reflectors re-silvered for the '16, so it will be time to start thinking about getting this part of the car put back together and the bulbs are part of this process.  I am really curious about what might be said about these things.  Thank you for any and all comments.  Something else to think about - I have two of them, so they could be used in the car if that is the case.  One last point about all of these bulbs - they are all single contact bulbs, so they will work in the '16 for me.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

PB060643.JPG

Fred,

I know exactly what you are saying.  I thought the same thing.  I checked both of those bulbs about 15 minutes ago and they work just fine.  I have had those bulbs at least 15 - 20 years and they still work just like the day that I got them.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Bloo beat me to it. The tungsten at very high temperatures evaporates slightly and deposits on the glass, which is why they invented halogen bulbs. If you put a little halogen in the bulb, the evaporated tungsten combines with it and the tungsten halide is repelled by the glass and attracted back to the filament. Examples of halogens are chlorine, fluorine, iodine, bromine, basically anything ending in -ine.

• Like 1