Sign in to follow this  
364nailhead

1957 Buick Roadmaster Turn Signal Nylon Bell Crank

Ok, took the steering wheel off. And this is what it looked like. The Bodine Wire that turns the directional switch on and off was fine. The Yoke is in fine working order. It looks like a piece of the Bell Crank is completly gone. Like a "Tab" of some sort? That when the Yoke turns, it has a "Push/Pull" on the wire to turn the turn signal switch to left or right. Any suggestions on what route to take is greatly appreciated.. 

15730776390821226624740.jpg

I hope this helps.  Complete part for 1957. The part has recently been on Ebay.

Signal Cancel.jpg

Edited by Caballero2 (see edit history)

Caballero2, that yoke looks broken? My yoke is operating in good condition. Its the nylon bell crank Im having an issue with. Here are a couple of pics of the yoke. And underneath the yoke, is the nylon bell crank. If Im confused on this, tell me. BTW. Nice Ride!

20191108_182221.jpg

20191108_182057.jpg

20191106_163953.jpg

364nailhead:

Sharp eye, you are correct, my apologies.

No, my opiligy. Ok... Not showing the issue first. So, how is that part supposed to look like? The yoke makes the bell crank turn length wise? Up and down the steering colum by the wire attached to the turn signal switch?

Oh, I see the problem.  The nylon piece in your photo should have a sphere integral to that part.  The sphere is gone.  That is almost impossible to find except in a salvage yard.  It is integral to the base in which it is installed. That sphere fits into a pocket in the yoke and actuated the wire.  The end of the wire slips over the post shown in your photo of the nylon piece.

Turn Sign Motion Change Nylon.jpg

Edited by Caballero2
correct a typo (see edit history)

Cabellero2:

Thanks for the pic and info. 🙂 How on earth am I going to get this turn signal to work?

I have a fellow reviewing the feasibility of reproducing from this sample a prototype on a 3D printer.  Hope to follow up next week.

Caballero2

• Like 1

My guy says it is feasible, but he is not able to achieve the precision necessary.

I,m thinking your best shot is to find a junk yard part. If a guy with a lathe were ambitious he could make that part from brass in four pieces and join them with solder or silver braze. Actually be fun project....... Just sayin....bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Also, Bhigdog, my thoughts exactly except even easier from self lubing nylatron GS.

58 minutes ago, Caballero2 said:

Also, Bhigdog, my thoughts exactly except even easier from self lubing nylatron GS.

Pretty complex part to make in one piece especially from somewhat flexible and stringy nylon. Fairly easy to make in four pieces from easily joined brass with little mare than a lathe a drill press and hand tools. Only

one joint may be stressed. For that i would use low temp silver braze. The other joints soft solder would be more than sufficient.

As usual more than one way to skin a cat. I,d opt for the easy way........bob

Wanted to give an update on this. First off, I want to say thanks to Cabelaro2, 1957Buickjim and g-g-g0 for helping me out on this. The turn signals are in working order!! Yahoo!! Thank you guys!!

• Like 4