Dash Lights Dim

awk409ak

For more grins, go out, turn your lights on, and rotate the knob on the light switch rapidly from extreme right to extreme left many times.  Wear through some of that 50+ year build up of dust and corrosion. See if your dash lights don't get a little brighter.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RivNut said:

For more grins, go out, turn your lights on, and rotate the knob on the light switch rapidly from extreme right to extreme left many times.  Wear through some of that 50+ year build up of dust and corrosion. See if your dash lights don't get a little brighter.

Thanks, done this, but will try it again.

Art

Problem is when you install brighter bulbs that put out more candle power they run pretty much hotter.  This has a tendency to start melting the plastic & the printed plastic circuit boards.. Do what others have done & install LED's.  Just need to ask what was used & if they are happy with them.

ANYONE????

How do you adjust the brightness??

And while we are on the subject, how does one reset the trip computer?  I know there's that button next to the odometer, but it doesn't look like it does anything.  Not sure if you pull it, press it or twist it, and I'm afraid of breaking it.

I replaced mine w LEDs, including the console lights. Most are accessible without much trouble, the instrument cluster bulbs being reached through the access panels on either side of the column(although its a tight squeeze). If you have Homer Simpson hands they are more easily reached from the top by removing the dash-pad, but that can be a risky procedure for a 50yr+old pad. Bulbs are available on eBay in a variety of colors & intensities.Go with the brightest white & I think you will be satisfied w the results. One unfortunate side effect is they make the stock radio lights & shift indicator lens look yellow in comparison. I replaced the shift indicator bulb by wiring in an LED strip. The result was only a slight improvement due to the decrepit nature of my PRNDL. One of my biggest Riviera related regrets is not buying a shift indicator lens from Clarks before they discontinued carrying them. (I call on someone out there, maybe our good friend Schmiddy, to figure out how to restore this item, as they seem to be made of Unobtanium.) As for the clock, Im not sure if the bulb is replaceable. I replaced my clock years ago w an oil pressure gauge, which I highly recommend. I usually disconnect the battery when not driving so It was only right twice a day, & having an oil pressure gauge right in front of me is pure peace of mind. Anyhoo good luck.   Drew

• 3 weeks later...

So I bought a bunch of the dash light LED bulbs. Anyone have advice for accessing the original bulbs? I thought maybe the instrument lenses would screw off ala the clock, but it doesn't appear so. I read (above poster) I could reach in from the access panels below (but that seems weird.) Do I have to remove the dash pad?

Advice appreciated!