moran75

65 Riv - repair sleeve for my rear axle pinion flange

Hi all

It’s a long story but I need a repair sleeve ...I’m dripping oil and a new seal didn’t fix...mechanic showed me the flange ant it has some grooves....

first question is if the sleeves are universal or I need a specific size/thickness? I didn’t think of measuring the flange when it was off the car....now it’s back on would rather leave it there until hopefully final repair....

secondly can I still use a stock rear opinion seal when reassembling or will I need diff size ?

lastly if any member has done this can they recommend a supplier?

thanks in advance

kev 

No one that I contacted has a listing.   They make MANY different sizes of Redi-Sleeves or Repair Sleeves. There is NO thickness supplied as it's very thin & requires use of a tool/cup usually supplied with the part your installing along with some Red Loctite to help hold & seal the piece being installed.

It will use the same pinion seal. You will need to provide the O.D. of the yoke which of course requires removal of the part from your rear diff.  unless someone has one off & can measure it for you.  Is your driveshaft held on with 4 bolts at the flange or 2 u-clamps???

• Like 1

Kev,

Hold tight I'm sure SOMEONE has one off they could measure for you OR can do so very easily.

Hi Kevin,

I have a left over pinion yoke from some diff work I did but couldnt remember if it was from a `65 Riv or a`66 Wildcat so I put a mic on it. The seal surface of the yoke measured 1.90 inches. After studying the specs of the appropriate seals for the 2 applications the yoke I have on hand is obviously the `66 Wildcat yoke. The `65 seal spec has a shaft diameter of  1.940.

I dont know which seal you installed that is now leaking but you might want to check the specs before you move to a speedi-sleeve. I have never needed to install a wear sleeve on an old Buick pinion yoke?

Tom Mooney

• Thanks 1

Kev,

IF you need the correct pinion seal I have them in stock.

...managed to find the attached on RockAuro of all places believe it or not....might as well give it a go..i'll keep you posted..

Thanks for all your responses

Kev

sleeve.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Kevin,

Did you check to see if your mechanic previously installed the correct seal? The specs on the repair sleeve look good, ie, shaft size 1.94 inches,

Tom

• Like 1

Kev,

I don't know IF it matters, BUT the attached shows for a 8.2 BOP (Buick/Olds/Pontiac) did you check the specs???  Your rear end is 9 3/8ths. not 8.2

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Kevin,

Did you check to see if your mechanic previously installed the correct seal? The specs on the repair sleeve look good, ie, shaft size 1.94 inches,

Tom

To be fair to him he put on the one i bought, again from good ol' Rock Auto..as per attached....

seal.jpg

seal specs.jpg

4 hours ago, telriv said:

Kev,

I don't know IF it matters, BUT the attached shows for a 8.2 BOP (Buick/Olds/Pontiac) did you check the specs???  Your rear end is 9 3/8ths. not 8.2

nope, didnt check the specs as didnt have any specs myself - just trusted the website as it states its appropriate for a 65 Riv ...

..i should add that when the mechanic got the pinion flange off he showed it to me and pointed out it was 'grooved' - is that's the right word - and added that therefore the new seal might not work on its own ...recommended the sleeve

Admittedly i have no idea how everything goes together back there😀... i'm just taking him on his word...

Cheers

Kev