Anyone ever seen some of these running board cans? Model T?

JonCarlton

I have this set of cans and I was wondering if anyone can give me any info on them.  I could not find any online except for one person asking about them on a forum as well.  I think they could be model T based on that but I am not sure. They seem kinda rare if I can’t find any like them. Any info would be greatly appreciated.  

BDAA0FA1-3335-4747-97A2-E20BFE7C3F32.jpeg

30C683E8-F58A-4F41-BE33-5A2F4C156152.jpeg

1D7B9DE3-C537-4E78-835E-6EE5BC8D8017.jpeg

Edited by JonCarlton (see edit history)

Such can sets were after-market and not for any specific car. That is a fairly rare variation of an uncommon manufacturer, and in VERY nice condition! Boyco was probably the largest manufacturer of such cans. Most of their sets were open and held in a carrier on the running board or trunk (if the car had a trunk?). Boyco did make a similar enclosed box to mount on the running board, and I have seen a couple of those.  I have seen a few Bear brand can sets, but not many. There were several other companies that made similar can sets.

• Like 5

Thanks for the replies so far.  I was just going off of what I read on the forum I saw from someone else that had a set and they called them Model T cans.  Unfortunately there was t much info in there and that was the only others I have seen online and I have been searching hard.  Would anyone know about what year they were produced?  

I have a two cans fitted in a box with lid that probably dates from before 1910. One of my longtime best friends found an identical set to mine a few years after I got my set. Those sets had leather straps  laced through the lid and sides to hold them onto a running board. I have seen advertisements for sets similar to yours beginning about 1912. Running board cans were most needed in the earlier days of the automobile to carry spare gasoline, water, and much needed oil when service was often far away, and cars were not quite yet reliable. They continued to be popular throughout the '20s in out-of-the-way areas where one may need just another gallon of gas to get into town, or water when overheated. They continued to be sold well into the '30s, however, with the depression, the market for "extras" dropped off considerably, as people found other used cans to do the job. Yours is probably between the mid '10s to mid '20s.

Value? I am not the best person to ask that. I haven't been following values on most collectibles myself for several years. I know the value went up a bunch, and then slid down a bit more recently. But I would guess a couple hundred for a nice set.

They were common in the day. Most fleet cars and trucks used them. Go over to the military forums and look at the WWI trucks and vehicles........they were standard equipment back when oil and gas were often hard to come by while going down the road. By the mid 20’s road conditions and service stations eliminated the need.

• Like 2