31 CM6 Roadster springs. Info needed

KLF

I bought my roadster last year in restored condition. I'm finding the ride very rough. When I checked out the springs I found the fronts had 10 leafs and the rear had 9. According to the owners manual all models came with 7 leafs all around! What's going on!! I'm wondering if anyone can verify how many leafs should be there. I'm not sure the manual applies to all body styles.  Anybody got a CM6 roadster that could check out their springs for me?

Thanks

Ken

20181106_170915 (Large).jpg

Thanks for the info. Your catalog verifies that I should have 7 leafs. I wonder how it ever got so many. Looks like a good winter project to pull the springs and remove the extra leafs.

Ken

10 hours ago, KLF said:

Thanks for the info. Your catalog verifies that I should have 7 leafs. I wonder how it ever got so many. Looks like a good winter project to pull the springs and remove the extra leafs.

Ken

They were probably added due to sagging or weak original springs. I would got here for specs or originals....I used them to make my 1931 DB springs that were broken.

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

• Like 1

I've done this on a restoration:  the original springs of a lightly sprung, same era convertible car were failing and I had good used springs from a heavier sedan parts car.    In my example they were all only one leaf heavier than the originals.    The used sedan springs brought the convert back up to factory height and actually gave a better ride because they controlled side sway.

In your case, adding multiple leaves may have happened from a larger Chrysler sedan.  But addition by 3 leaves certainly sounds like too much.  

13 hours ago, StillOutThere said:

I've done this on a restoration:  the original springs of a lightly sprung, same era convertible car were failing and I had good used springs from a heavier sedan parts car.    In my example they were all only one leaf heavier than the originals.    The used sedan springs brought the convert back up to factory height and actually gave a better ride because they controlled side sway.

In your case, adding multiple leaves may have happened from a larger Chrysler sedan.  But addition by 3 leaves certainly sounds like too much.  

I thought that may be the case too except the sedans also had 7 leaf springs. My plan is to take the springs out, remove the extra leafs and see what I'm left with. If they were just sagging then maybe I can get them re-arched. I did that years ago to another car I restored. Last resort will be new springs as Keiser31 has suggested.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Ken

• Like 1

You might check that the socks are working as they should check that they got the oil they are supposed to have and that they are not frozen up!

the oil fill plugs are on the top and you need a screw driver to get them out and yes something is in the way of getting the plugs out easy.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked with Detroit Spring and they had the drawings to make all the springs. Takes 2-3 weeks. Just over $300 each plus shipping. ESPO Springs couldn't help on this.

Before I ordered new springs I did remove some leafs. On the fronts I took out 2 leafs. The rears were an odd situation. The car was sitting very high on the right side. I took out 2 leafs there and nothing on the left. Now the car sits level again. I was worried this would adversely effect the handling but after a run today it seems to handle fine and ride a lot better. I'll leave it this way and put some more miles on it before I decide if it's the way to go.

Ken

• Like 1