1965 Riviera w/out engine or transmission

Carbuff2

SOLD SOLD SOLD

I purchased this Riviera for the engine and transmission which I have removed but the rest of the car is available.  The car has many pluses no dents, almost perfect original interior,  chrome is very nice with minamal pitting on the trim.  It does have some repairable rust.  It will be sent with decent Chrome Road Wheels Check out pictures and make me a reasonable offer.  Paul

more pictures available 

900418A6-472A-470D-B810-7FABF7039041.jpeg

9FCC7A70-AD0C-4305-8246-BE0FE7AFE16F.jpeg

A5EAB7AC-6009-4AB7-AB2B-F7C2E11996F7.jpeg

Edited by Carbuff2
SOLD RIVIERA (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There are two different guys here in the KC area who have LS motors in their 63 Rivieras.  One has been sitting for many years while the owner tries to figure out how to modify the front crossmember of the frame so the oil pan and the center link can share the same space.  The other guy laid out over $1K to install a Corvette dry sump system.  The $1K is in addition to all of the other costs. It's not like swapping a SBC into a 48 Ford.  You need deep pockets and extreme skills to pull it off.  Most cars that you've seen with LS motors in them are sitting on a custom chassis and have rack and pinion steering.  Finding a wrecked 'Vette and welding on a complete front subframe assembly might be simpler.

2 minutes ago, RivNut said:

There are two different guys here in the KC area who have LS motors in their 63 Rivieras.  One has been sitting for many years while the owner tries to figure out how to modify the front crossmember of the frame so the oil pan and the center link can share the same space.  The other guy laid out over $1K to install a Corvette dry sump system.  The $1K is in addition to all of the other costs. It's not like swapping a SBC into a 48 Ford.  You need deep pockets and extreme skills to pull it off.  Most cars that you've seen with LS motors in them are sitting on a custom chassis and have rack and pinion steering.  Finding a wrecked 'Vette and welding on a complete front subframe assembly might be simpler.

It's actually way simpler than that, you don't need to chop the front clip or the steering. You just need the right oil pan/mounts and you are half way there. The trans crossmember  is harder than the motor mounts to deal with, but still not bad. For computer, just pay the piper and get the Holley kit and all done. I am planning on working on a swap kit for the 63-65 sometime next year. With the shortage of Nailhead cores, and only 3 guys more/less building them correctly(me, Tom and Russ), it's inevitable, especially for a driver. The hardest part is the cost, it's a solid 10k to do a swap w/ a junkyard motor, more if you want to go fast. I'm probably one of the only guys in the country w/ big power LS's and ported/cammed Nailheads in the same room. l 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/5/2019 at 2:09 PM, Carbuff2 said:

Dual Quad Dave ……….. this car had an LX engine that I needed to complete my 65 Gran Sport.  I'm sure someone can transplant a 401 or 425 back into it …. it is not a Gran Sport. 

That's funny, I have a rebuilt LX 425 w/ og dual quad intake I am getting ready to list for sale.  Timing is everything...

4 hours ago, Carbuff2 said:

Talk about timing, where you located Dave?  Condition and price.

Carbuff2, will DM you contact info. LX motor is .040, freshly built, zero mile. I have a rebuilt 65 SP400 also, but it's not a BS code.  I am located in Sout| Florida, but can ship anywhere. I have shipped motors all over the world.  I even have a 401 running in a 65 Riv in the Philippines, lol.

• 1 month later...

The 63 has a different crankshaft.  The Dynaflow transmission's converter bolts to the crank differently.   Not insurmountable but finding an engine for a 63 would be a better option. 

If it's to be used for only a spare, then an engine from an earlier year will work for you as well.

Ed

It's outside my skill level, but if I had an engineless first gen Riv, I'd seriously consider doing an EV swap to it.  Find some Tesla motors and batteries and go full electric.  

Good luck to the buyer, whatever their plans are for this car.

• 1 year later...

OK Riviera People: Circumstances for me have changed and I am NOW  a buyer for a 65 Riviera in similar condition  to this unit. I have  a rebuilt 401 and turbo-400 from a 65 Riviera ready to drop in. I also have a complete standard and Custom interior.  Located in Castro Valley, CA (San Francisco Bay Area).

Also, RIP Paul Duran. I met him a few times and he was a solid guy, Thanks for your consideration, Mitch