Sign in to follow this  
jord

Glass Installation

Can anyone help me with my future glass installation? Front windshield and the two rear windows. Unfortunately I purchased the gasket from Narrangansett and it required gluing it together to make a seam, do I install it first on the car to get the measurement then make the seam then install the glass afterwards. I believe you then install it from the inside into the opening.

Thanks

It's been about 7 years since I installed the windshield on my '41, but if I recall correctly, the seal I got from Narragansett in the 80's was continuous but has a seam on the bottom side and centered on the glass. I would install it on the glass and join the ends with 3M super weatherstrip adhesive while taping it firmly in place while it sets. It is probably form-fitted to go on that way and should be of the proper length.

The glass installs from the inside. Be sure to use the proper kind of sealant. I made a 2x4 prop to hold the glass in place while I installed the trim, which is what secures it. 

If you have the dashboard out for woodgraining, be sure to install it first because the windshield trim must be removed to install the dash.

Can someone suggest a good adhesive, I will have to splice the rubber unfortunately, I purchased it a long time ago 

Thanks

Edited by jord (see edit history)

Not sure how it would work but I use 5200 on most bits I want to seal, it comes in black and white.  I figure it seals fine underwater, remains flexible so its probably overkill on car glass.  At some point Im going to have to redo those rear windows in mine once I get gaskets.  Be warned though if you open it and look at it you will manage to get it on you somewhere and it can make a big mess.

This is the 3M adhesive that looks good, but seems a little radical for a glass seal, but should work!

The one on the left is 5200, don't use the fast cure and make sure you get black not white.

Metro Moulded Rubber recommended Super Glue to join the ends of a seal that I bought from them years ago. It has held up very well for 15 years.

Super Glue will adhere to rubber well, but it is brittle.  You may want to call the Super Glue people at 1-800-Loctite and punch the number for the automated answering till you get Tech Service.  When I have called in the past they will ask all the questions about the application- the 2 materials being bonded, temp, UV or not, cure time desired, gap, qnty size, .... and recommend an adhesive, no questions asked about who you are or anything, anticipating you will buy it from one of their distributors or on-line.  I think they may recommend a rubberized cyanacrylate (still a Super Glue) that is more flexible and with better adhesion promoters, such as 454, Black Max, or one of the Prisms.  More expensive but very good.  If you can talk them into mailing you a free Adhesive Source Book of most their products (CA's, silicones, threadlockers, epoxy,...), that is very helpful because you can pick your own cure time, tensile strength, elasticity, color, .....  Also, I think if you do a "Windshield" Search on this Forum you can find previous discussions from years back with additional details for replacing the windshield. Good Luck!