Selim

Starter problem Buick super 1949

12 hours ago, Selim said:

https://bobsautomobilia.com/starters-and-parts/1942-50-rebuilt-starter-soleniod-.-su-rexb/

this is the only solenoid available , is it 12v? Is it good for my car, or should I get another one?

Click on this link.  Just beneath the heading,"Bobs Automobilia"  is a line that contains "starters and parts", click that and the starter is on the top right.

Ben

It would be a 6 volt. I think Buick changed to 12 volt in 1953, on my 49 that was converted to 12 volt,I had to use a 1953 voltage regulator with a 12 volt generator.

1954 Buick changed to 12 volt,as Ben mentioned ,the 12 volt high torque starter may be a good alternative. I also have one on my 49 that was converted, I did have an issue with it,the relay stuck closed and continued cranking. I have earlier post on it. If that happens,Just change the relay with a new one.Instruction come with the new one showing how to mount and wire it in .

1954 Buick changed to 12 volt,as Ben mentioned ,the 12 volt high torque starter may be a good alternative. I also have one on my 49 that was converted, I did have an issue with it,the relay stuck closed and continued cranking. I have earlier post on it.

Also there is a link to it earlier in this post 12 volt high torque starter part number ST 12s

I need to buy a solenoid for a 1953-1956 Buick along with the plunger and linkage. This will be a 12v setup and I should b ok.

problem is I can’t find them on Bob’s and CARS

i need the links please for the solenoid, plunger and linkage. As u keep telling me to buy them but it’s driving me crazy not finding them on the sites. 
please, I need links of items where I could just buy them.

send me links of the solenoid please

thanks

Delco-Remy part numbers. Solenoid #'s 1118187 or 1119965. Plunger with linkage #1912055. I can dig thru my stuff if you cant find them elsewhere. You can PM me.

OK, Buick history lesson:

All straight eight Buicks came with 6 volt electrics. Even the 1953 Special.

All V-8 Buicks have 12 volt systems, even the 1953 Super, Roadmaster and Skylark.

Just in case there is a pre 1930 or foreign production exception to this, I shall say the above is from 1930 to present for United States vehicles. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Buick switched to 12 volts in 1953 for their V8 cars (Roadmaster and Super) but stayed with 6 volts for the Special which maintained the straight 8.  Everything  was 12 volts in 1954.

• Like 1

Here is the order from Bobs

hope I got correct items for my car

i intend to proceed with order in a couple of days after adding more items. If u guys have any remark please do. Thanks

8534F885-8606-4E19-ABBA-80889698150E.png

Are your shock absorbers in good condition?Now would be the time to change them if you are putting in new springs, also the upper outer pins on front may need replaced.The ignition switch is a two part assembly, the outer part the key goes in and the actual electrical switch that is mounted into the dash, that is wired into the harness. I had my shocks rebuilt by Apple ,but the are others that can rebuild them.

7 hours ago, gdmn852 said:

Are your shock absorbers in good condition?Now would be the time to change them if you are putting in new springs, also the upper outer pins on front may need replaced.The ignition switch is a two part assembly, the outer part the key goes in and the actual electrical switch that is mounted into the dash, that is wired into the harness. I had my shocks rebuilt by Apple ,but the are others that can rebuild them.

Shock absorbers r not in good condition. I rebuilt rear ones sometime ago here but not sure about quality. R they available new? How much? Is there a rebuilt kit to do them here ? I guess it d b cheaper.

thanks 

Kanter Auto Products has them. We installed some on my 1949 Super several years ago, front and rear. Those and radial tires really improved the ride and handling. Not cheap, but well worth the expense!

Edited by BuickBob49 (see edit history)

Kanter has a front end kit that has much of the moving parts for a 49 it’s $ 465.00 not including shock absorbers.

Front shocks at 265.apiece   Rear at 195. A piece plus core charge. Kanter seems to be a little higher in price but the seem to have all parts available in one place.www.kanter.com

Ok 

I thought about it and wanna get the kit from kanter 

but I am a bit lost as which kit exactly would fit my car

Attached photo of products, can anyone guide me to which item should I order?!

want front and rear kit

thanks

AB468263-07E5-44E9-95F6-46BCCAE74DC5.png

Check your car number,you will need parts for the series 50 . Number is usually on fire wall next to data plate or stamped into frame near steering gearbox.And call them with the frame number.

689392AC-38C2-439D-BBBB-787B600CD5FC.jpeg

16 minutes ago, gdmn852 said:

Check your car number,you will need parts for the series 50 . Number is usually on fire wall next to data plate or stamped into frame near steering gearbox.And call them with the frame number.

Here we go

series 50 correct?

C3E1D3C6-9C75-49D2-A26D-871DED510E84.jpeg

Frame number is usually near steering gearbox on top rail if it can’t be found,call Kanter and ask them what difference in parts after the engine numbers.Maybe then you can check to see what parts are on your car.

On 11/19/2019 at 11:05 AM, gdmn852 said:

Can’t find frame number. Seems it was lost during earlier restoration . Is there anyway to solve this issue cos I can’t order suspension without it. As u can see in pics attached I need to know frame n. If I have to guess , it d be the earlier model as original color gala green was cancelled April 1949.

help

BDDC7541-4951-407F-BB8F-071198A28D0A.png

E8B6AB4E-BC24-45BD-873D-97FBBA427B53.png

Edited by Selim (see edit history)