CELLPHONE OWNER Kills one of Us

Mark Gregory

Tragic Canadian oil millionaire, 80, is pictured with his wife in their 116-year-old Knox car as they set off on the London to Brighton rally just hours before he was killed in a crash with an HGV after accidentally venturing onto the M23

• Ron Carey, 80, was at the wheel of 1903 Knox Runabout 'Old Porcupine' vehicle 
  • He had been taking part in London to Brighton Veteran Car Run with wife Billi
  • Mr Carey is said to have taken a wrong turn off the official route onto the M23
  • Friend says: 'He was very well-respected and well-liked. He's a tremendous loss'
  • Comes just two years after a 68-year-old man died at the Veteran Car Run

image.png.91048a509e0f587e6344b524c8136838.png

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

I think I know who the driver of this car was, and if it’s the man I’m thinking of (not many guys around with a Knox), in addition to the tragic loss of life, it’s a real loss to my community and for the car hobby. 

Ron was from Calgary and had a fantastic collection.  Here is a link showing an overview.

He will be missed.  The London-to-Brighton is such a historic event and unfortunately it's now been marred by two tragic deaths in recent years.  I'm sure organizers will be searching for ways to make it safer.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/in-photos-a-vintage-car-buffs-dream-come-true-in-calgary/article23279136/

Terry

• Like 1

Ron's passion for the automobile found public expression in his donation of money, cars, and other items to Calgary's local historical "pioneer village" - Heritage Park. His generosity allowed for the construction of Gasoline Alley, which houses some of Ron's collection (more than 60 vehicles, and other related petroliana items). You can google search some of Ron's legacy of philanthropy, and the Heritage Park website link is here (https://www.heritagepark.ca/) for a few shots of Gasoline Alley.  

• 2 years later...
  • 1937hd45 changed the title to CELLPHONE OWNER Kills one of Us

Sad indeed !

the loss of one of us

is a loss to the hobby,

and a loss to us all

On a separate note,

We hope to one day again drive the Canadian version of the London to Brighton with the Ontario Region AACA,

having done it several years back, but in a newer collectible.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Since the early days of the internet, I have usually followed the London to Brighton Run, and nearly every year watch numerous videos of the Run within days of it being done. So I knew within hours, half way around the world, about that collision. It, unfortunately, was not the only early car fatality I have been well aware of, and in fact, I have also personally known too many people fortunate enough to not be killed by distracted modern drivers. Irresponsible drivers are way too common these days.

The area I live in is rampant with bad drivers. There are way too many people around here that are clueless to the rules and laws they are required by law to follow! I am disgusted nearly every day by people that have no idea how they are supposed to drive. 

While there are those that would argue that the 1903 Knox was too slow and a hazard? I see people every day that cannot do any better in their modern cars. I see people in modern cars stopped in places they do not belong, unable to decide which way to go. If those people are allowed to continue to drive their cars? There is no reason that we should not be free to drive our cars that are no more of a hazard than nearly twenty percent of drivers are through their own incompetence! If other drivers are expected to avoid hitting the incompetent? They should be fully expected to see and avoid an old unusual vehicle as well.

Frankly, I do not think the punishment was nearly severe enough.

But that is my opinion.

I do hope Ron Carry's family have recovered well from their loss. I did not know him in any way, however have heard that he was well liked and respected in the antique automobile hobby in his corner of the world.

• Like 8

Read of this news 3 years ago and it is indeed tragic. I generally don't like "headline grabbing" headings, we are not National Inquirer. Being a "cellphone owner" is not a crime, and virtually everyone has one (thou not me).  The crime was "Distracted Driving", so please call it what it was. a better title would be "Distracted Driver found guilty in death of Antique Car Owner during London/Brighton Run 2019."

• Like 1