JRHaelig

Rumble Seat Coupes

The perhaps finest ever American illustrator Norman Rockwell captured the subject in 1935, a picture that may be worth a thousand words! I have this 12x15 print, must get it framed someday.

IMG_5906.JPG

IMG_5894 (1).JPG

• Like 2

My youngest daughter - when she was small - called it the 'bunker seat'.  Taking her and her friends to the ice cream stand in the bunker seat on a hot summer evening with the lightning bugs putting on their show and smell of freshly mown grass is sublime.  Them waving at all passers - the passing drivers mostly waving back.

Good memories - good times.

• Like 2

Many moons ago my Grandmother and Grandfather, and my Father and Aunt, went from Hutchinson, Kansas to Mesa Verde, Colorado in a Classic Car. Grown-ups in the front, children in back. There was an accessory canvas top for the rumble set. The scenery was epic from back there, no doubt, but it must have been rough sometimes, too. The car? A 1926 Elcar Cabriolet with a Lycoming Eight my Grandfather traded a plane for.

1926 Elcar Landau Roadster, old pic (2).jpg
Here is the Elcar without the rumble seat canopy on a casual drive with Bernie, Geneva, and Lorena Brown close to home. Glenn D. Brown photo about 1930.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 11/3/2019 at 10:23 PM, Gunsmoke said:

...As for the previously mentioned "mother-in-law" seat, if I recall that was a term for the earlier cars that had a single occupant seat in center rear of car, and was not a reference used for rumble seats. 

As an editor for one of AACA's regional newsletters,

I enjoyed finding old articles that brought out little-known

facts.  One article, circa 1909, referred to a "rumble seat,"

and it was a small fixed rear seat.  Today people call that

seat a "mother-in-law seat," now that more than a 

century has passed from that era's first-hand knowledge.

One of our local members has an EMF "double-rumble roadster."

He wondered why it was called that.  I was able to point out

that fixed rear seats on open cars were called rumble seats.

His car happened to have two bucket-type rear seats side by side. 

So those fixed single back seats were known as rumble seats.

When someone came up with the idea to make a seat

that folded away, the same name was used. 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

On 11/5/2019 at 8:47 PM, tcslr said:

My youngest daughter - when she was small - called it the 'bunker seat'.  Taking her and her friends to the ice cream stand in the bunker seat on a hot summer evening with the lightning bugs putting on their show and smell of freshly mown grass is sublime.  Them waving at all passers - the passing drivers mostly waving back.

Good memories - good times.

Many years ago, my wife's sister, her husband, and five kids visited us.  The wives went shopping with the two elementary school kids, leaving us men to babysit the three younger ones.  We loaded them in the rumble seat of my Model A and headed for the Dairy Queen.  I recall on the way back, a guy in a new Corvette convertible pulled up beside us at a stoplight.  He complimented the car and had fun talking to the kids while waiting for the light to change.  When we got home, they told their siblings about the joyride.  So of course we had to make another ice cream run with the older kids.  ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If you own the car and are the driver the rumble seat is not a problem! If your in the rumble seat it can be sweet depending on who is in it with you! Sometimes it’s good not to be the driver!  

Have fun

Dave S 

• Like 1

I'm sure thats where the Air Force got the idea for ejection seats.

My first Glidden was in St Paul MN and #34 if my memory is correct.  We were driving my 34 Pontiac Rumble seat Convertible and were at a morning coffee stop when a elderly man with a cane and his wife walked slowly by and stopped by the rear of  my car for a moment.  The wife gave her husband a gentle nudge in the ribs with her elbow and said "Honey do you remember the time we did it in a rumble seat".  To this day that has been the high point of Glidden tours for me

On 11/4/2019 at 5:53 AM, Dave39MD said:

Kids love them 

Mine had room for four of them.... :)

Model A3-1.jpg

• Like 1

I have memories in high school when my dad had a Buick rumble seat car. He took a friend and I to a game riding back there. We were cheerleaders and had our uniforms on. We had to drive through town and I was mortified. I hid down where your feet go and my friend had a blast shaking her pom poms all through town at everyone. 🤦‍♀️

• Haha 1

If you never took a ride in one, you don't know what you're missing. Great fun.

• Like 1

My father (age 92) tells stories of riding in rumble seats when he was young with lots of smiles and laughter.  He even laughs when talking about moving down to the floor and closing the lid when the weather was cold and raining.