Carolina Roadmasters: Taking over where Dad left off - 1930 Buick Series 61

38Buick 80C

2 hours ago, old-tank said:

Just dress up like the dude and re-create it.

Haha -- I don't want to hijack Brian's thread but I've already made some attempts in that direction with my '41.  But the look of that poster from '31 is sensational.  I'm afraid I don't quite have the right outfit with the plus-fours, plus you gotta have the girl, too!  I looked up the artist (Lawrence Sterne Stevens), and he's actually famous for his later work as a pulp fantasy and science fiction illustrator.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

You have been quiet for two weeks ?

Been on vacation...

Had hoped some vendors would get some stuff done while I was gone. So let's recap.

Radiator... Not done

Front fenders... No progress...

Few minor items at the machine shop... Haven't called yet...

Chrome... In the queue...

So 2 weeks and nothing.

• Like 1

I was back at it this AM after Formula 1 qualifing with the one thing that did come through... Dad was able to drill out the screw of the ignition switch.

After what was much too difficult for what is a simple switch I'm connected and multi-meter checked functional

IMG_20200704_113756.thumb.jpg.1855cfcee92c95b5c5bb174d85620bfa.jpg

Unfortunately went to use the electric fuel pump to prime the mechanical pump and no dice... Direct connected it to the battery and worked for a bit than quit... Hmtapped it with the fine adjustment hammer, but no luck. Guess a new one is in order...got 30+ years out of that one, but zero miles...

8 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

Opera lights engaged. Well sort of. They work off the pillar switch but not the door jam switch.

I looked at the wiring diagram  bet it is because I don't have the dome light installed yet and that is needed to complete the ciruit

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

This vent door was used for paint match. Got it back and installed. Same as the driver's side, this is as much as it will close.

IMG_20200718_144315.thumb.jpg.1438a2d9d2b25d78d408b9c178fff426.jpg

Is it possible the doors are upside down? Or on the wrong sides of the car?

2 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

No I tried the first one on both sides same either way.

What about back spacing?  Do you need some washers or spacers between the hinge and the doors to set the doors out a bit further thus changing the angle they arc in when opened?

Almost there on base coat for all the wood graining. Just a couple peices left. Dad has been practicing some wood graining via Grain-it products and looks to be getting pretty good so he's going to tackle this stuff I think.

IMG_20200719_121228.thumb.jpg.4e21b2dfa1d0722091df63bdb9e637da.jpg

IMG_20200719_121234.thumb.jpg.1dfdf45230777435a7e153523bd8e1cb.jpg

Well I was having trouble getting the new fuel pump to prime and this pump...

I filled the tanks (which my sealing efforts must have failed cause I'm serious leaking) to know avail.

I then pressurized the tanks ... Yes that way ...ewwww. no luck.

Finally I used my air gun to blow out the line backwards.... That made a mess, but it was successful...

Next issue is the fuel pump bowl must need a gasket (even though I thought I did one) as fuel is just pouring out around it when the pump is in use.

And I have a minor leak at the outlet side of the pump, oh thanks goodness only a minor one

So basically the wife is gonna be mad at me for smelling up the house, and I had a nice gasoline sandwich, but success...sort of

😉

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

The shop is making good progress on the front fenders, but it'll be another week or two.

So I got a fuel pressure regulator and set about making sure my fuel leaks were managed got that all installed and felt good about that after hitting the system with the electric pump. The regulator is just ahead of the carb set to #2.

681145133_2020-07-2515_12_11.thumb.jpg.8e0d4c382eb431aaeb8ee4572a499525.jpg

• Like 2

Next I set about making sure the spark side of the equation was good to go. At first I was not getting spark at #1 plug as checked by 2 methods.

I took a known working coil of the '38 and made sure the points were sparking (there is a dual point setup in the car). I had to file the points a bit and then regap one set. And determined I had spark. Thus I switched back to the coil that was on the car and still had spark. 

Next set about making sure my timing was generally in the area of correct. For those not familiar with this ear Buick there is a large adjustment to the advance available to the driver at the steering column so I figured getting close  for now was good enough since I don't plan on running it long with no radiator.

I put the #1 cylinder to TDC and then adjusted the distributor and then made final tightening of the spark advance adjustment linkage.

I attempted to start with no success.