Jump to content

Carolina Roadmasters: Taking over where Dad left off - 1930 Buick Series 61


Recommended Posts

Started to wire up the fuel pump switch. I realized the repro knobs Bob's sells for the interior light switch can fit on the switch I am using for the fuel pump. Thus I thought it a nice touch for it to match all the other knobs in the car.

 

Just need a dash to mount it to.

IMG_20200613_122315.thumb.jpg.1074363f6a2b30a75be6fc8ae6127614.jpg

 

Also realized my ignition switch doesn't actually switch anything... I'm missing the electrical portion of the switch... Time to start looking for that.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Nice work on the plates, but detail on how the letters were done (please).

 

I used Testors model paint and a brush (about a 1/4" wide one) (well i started with a Testors paint marker but didn't get a thick enough coat with the white). Then just slow brush strokes. One marker coat, one brush coat and then touch up a on few thin areas with the brush. I may cover the whole plate with a clear coat like I had to do on my '38 plates as the yellow was not a gloss like the grey. The black on the '38 plates covers first coat.

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_20200613_164854.thumb.jpg.adc1d2d79cd317583707dd67a2886491.jpg

 

Nice plate Brian!  This whole car is really coming ouot nice. I am envious! 

Unrelated,  but I once won $400 on the lottery with that number combination.  I don't dare say how much I probably lost playing that same combination too!

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm amazed by how good the lettering looks on those license plates. I've tried that in the past and couldn't get my lines anywhere near that straight. I thought about doing some masking and that seemed like a lot of work. I eventually used a hard rubber roller and a few light coats and that worked pretty well. But I'm impressed by your results using a brush--nice job!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

IMG_20200613_164854.thumb.jpg.adc1d2d79cd317583707dd67a2886491.jpg

 

Nice plate Brian!  This whole car is really coming ouot nice. I am envious! 

Unrelated,  but I once won $400 on the lottery with that number combination.  I don't dare say how much I probably lost playing that same combination too!

 

 

 

9 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I'm amazed by how good the lettering looks on those license plates. I've tried that in the past and couldn't get my lines anywhere near that straight. I thought about doing some masking and that seemed like a lot of work. I eventually used a hard rubber roller and a few light coats and that worked pretty well. But I'm impressed by your results using a brush--nice job!

 

Yeah those are good numbers John! The car is coming out nice, it has lots of opportunities upon close inspection, but I'm simply not going for a 400 point restoration on it. Not looking for that cost investment or time investment. I want it done 100% authentic and a good reliable driver for local driving, that looks nice. I do feel like it is coming together very fast, but i mean dad had some much done and ready to bolt on the car it's like one of the restoration shows when they do the car in a day, but they've obviously done all the hard work in parts prep well in advance of the show so they really haven't done it in a day. If i could get the radiator and the firewall pad I'd be able to make some serious progress toward driving it. By July 4th weekend I should be in very good shape on that front ( I hope).

 

Matt the picture makes it look better than reality but it's pretty good. Good enough to place on a show car and no one would ever say anything. The professional plate restorers mask it I'm sure ( they do the number color first than mask the numbers than paint the background color I believe. I just prefer a brush and a steady hand with lots of patience. I've done 4 plates and counting this way. Will be at 6 shortly and still have to do another set of 38 plates at some point for my model 87. I enjoy it, it is fun to bring these back and certainly unlike a car, the cost is far less taking a nasty old plate and doing it myself than buying a restored one/set.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

In NY the DMV rule is you cannot use a "restored" Year of manufacture" plate on a historic registration.  Naturally many people think that rule applies to everyone else but themselves.  I have not restored the plate on my 56 or GS although I did try to hammer out the dents on the front plate on the GS when I put the re chromed bumper back on.  But sometimes I think I should just do them over.  But then they hold no specific sentimental value to me.  Just plates I've been happy to have found and have used for a long time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

In NY the DMV rule is you cannot use a "restored" Year of manufacture" plate on a historic registration.... 

Unfortunately, same goes for MA.  The plates have to be original, not repainted.

 

Brian, you might consider detail painting as a side business...very professional looking paint job.  Are you a "leftie" by chance?  "Lefties" tend to be the better artists. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dship said:

Unfortunately, same goes for MA.  The plates have to be original, not repainted.

 

Brian, you might consider detail painting as a side business...very professional looking paint job.  Are you a "leftie" by chance?  "Lefties" tend to be the better artists. 

not a leftie...have a wife and child who are.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

In NY the DMV rule is you cannot use a "restored" Year of manufacture" plate on a historic registration.

 

Well, I 'pushed the envelope' and hit mine with one coat of clear.  The ones on both my Riviera and GP were in good shape, but looked 'worn'.  The clear really brightened them up and they appear as new.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I will work on little things today, but took the '69 Charger our for a spin yesterday to celebrate Nico's promotion to middle school. I parked it the right way round in the garage so I can work on the dual speaker setup. I just spent considerable time looking for my step bits to enlarge a hole in the bottom of the dash. How bad is it that I had to go search my own build thread on the Mopar forum to remember what they looked like and realized they are a kit in a box and voila they appear... I'd hate to imagine what my memory will be like when I'm old like all of you... 😜

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

I'd hate to imagine what my memory will be like when I'm old like all of you...

 

Ah, but that's the beauty of the condition -- the first thing I forget is how old I am!  :huh:

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 38Buick 80C said:

not a leftie...have a wife and child who are.

Me, my grandson, my mother and father, one aunt, one cousin, both maternal grandparents.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

In NY the DMV rule is you cannot use a "restored" Year of manufacture" plate on a historic registration. 

 

I've heard that was the case in several states, but my question is always: Or else what?

 

I'd love to see an officer try to write a ticket for "vintage license plate not rusty enough." Seems like a law that's on the books that seemed like a good idea (perhaps to deter people from making up their own color schemes for official plates) but in reality is completely unenforceable.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dash is in!!! Looks so sweet...

 

Mind you I still have to put woodgrained pieces in and the temp gauge the bezel coming from AU and a few other bits but a major step for sure.

 

IMG_20200620_084214.thumb.jpg.e4a6ec16169e6a4ae087fe0654d58416.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Neat feature. The dash sits to where when the front window is open it directs air down behind the dash towards your feet.

 

985761275_2020-06-2008_45_53.thumb.jpg.bf50fd7fb6df5a3173b40208e6c34488.jpg

Or it directs rain directly to the electrical components...🤔

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Primary harness in place on the engine side. I want to make sure I'm not having a dumb moment and the wiring diagram is vague. Negative post off the coil to the distributor right?

IMG_20200620_091112.thumb.jpg.a4015b8b431014009305a77e2fd66864.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

mean while while i was mowing...the front yard mind you...Fedex updated my package status from Paul's Chrome to delivered. must be one of those virtual deliveries cause it ain't here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

mean while while i was mowing...the front yard mind you...Fedex updated my package status from Paul's Chrome to delivered. must be one of those virtual deliveries cause it ain't here.

You may want to inquire about that 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

You may want to inquire about that 

yes was done so very quickly after my delivery noticed arrived on my phone/email.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

Neat feature. The dash sits to where when the front window is open it directs air down behind the dash towards your feet.

 

985761275_2020-06-2008_45_53.thumb.jpg.bf50fd7fb6df5a3173b40208e6c34488.jpg

Or it directs rain directly to the electrical components...🤔

 

...and puts a nice stripe of dead bugs across your chest after a day of touring it you crank it wide open. My '29 Cadillac has the same setup. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So mainly messed with the wiring harness the rest of today...

I now have a working horn ( well it doesn't sound like I think it should)

 

I have intermittently working side lights and tail lights. More tail light than side light.

 

Dad got the spare ignition switch unbolted, but I don't have it yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

mean while while i was mowing...the front yard mind you...Fedex updated my package status from Paul's Chrome to delivered. must be one of those virtual deliveries cause it ain't here.

 

So it was delivered to a whole different neighborhood nearby and the individual who received it brought it over, address number and name completely different... so much for when it's got to be there guaranteed yada yada yada...

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

 

So it was delivered to a whole different neighborhood nearby and the individual who received it brought it over, address number and name completely different... so much for when it's got to be there guaranteed yada yada yada...

Exact same thing happened to me last week waiting for a wheel for my engine hoist!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...