Jump to content

Carolina Roadmasters: Taking over where Dad left off - 1930 Buick Series 61


Recommended Posts

A little evening project. Got the taillight ready more or less. Need to bench test the bulbs.

IMG_20200523_203035.thumb.jpg.40c4334b44c005150f1faac9d277838f.jpg

IMG_20200523_203042.thumb.jpg.b1614c0758fb474df6e9c5a65bf7d378.jpg

 

Not quite happy with the fit, but we'll see. I have spares, but they need to be chromed.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

First project of the morning: wipers.

 

Added the vacuum tube and started playing with the remote wiper linkage. Looks like I'm missing the remoter wiper arm pin that bolts to the windshield header.

 

I saw a thread on the subject and know what I'm looking for. I probably have it, just got to find it. IMG_20200524_073428.thumb.jpg.f778c88973f4a136d1bc1de3c5ea77d3.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There are days when I guess I just need practice... After 3 or 4 times messing with this I have the horn wire in place and the entire assembly together and if I never touch it again it will be too soon.

 

IMG_20200524_101514.thumb.jpg.3277276c694c3ae25bac63fc4ae01db5.jpg

 

Now on to doing my side window for a second time.

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Window complete for a second time.

 

Next I wanted to document the pinstripe on the dash panel and the window door caps.

 

First the dash  panel

IMG_20200524_104507.thumb.jpg.d5b966b6f6e5377f8c0e6f7e45b0bd3c.jpg

 

IMG_20200524_104529.thumb.jpg.f90c6f0187b820211354b8c2f3eb38cb.jpg

 

IMG_20200524_104631.thumb.jpg.6b1ae7c0c19d249978ec009559dc14f4.jpg

 

The the door top

IMG_20200524_104703.thumb.jpg.5dfe25e683fc7ce95092d547107c3d80.jpg

 

IMG_20200524_104746.thumb.jpg.3d302738fd690c7f546f0866ef82fabe.jpg

 

And the line thicknessIMG_20200524_104840.thumb.jpg.970defa92916ee31de47f78492c9009e.jpg

 

Wood grain pattern

IMG_20200524_104851.thumb.jpg.d033d757487a2b522552a08188727f1f.jpg

 

And more general shots of the door top

IMG_20200524_104857.thumb.jpg.e22ee8222a18c27b89bea9019aa43674.jpg

 

IMG_20200524_104904.thumb.jpg.297d3d266afdb164d7a9783ff8342aab.jpg

 

 

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

A little evening project. Got the taillight ready more or less. Need to bench test the bulbs.

IMG_20200523_203035.thumb.jpg.40c4334b44c005150f1faac9d277838f.jpg

IMG_20200523_203042.thumb.jpg.b1614c0758fb474df6e9c5a65bf7d378.jpg

 

Not quite happy with the fit, but we'll see. I have spares, but they need to be chromed.

 

Sit with it a while and see why you think fit is off - a miniature file set I have found is my friend when working on rechromed lamps. just do not manhandle too much or get too aggressive as to build up spots. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

Window complete for a second time.

 

Next I wanted to document the pinstripe on the dash panel and the window door caps.

 

First the dash  panel

IMG_20200524_104507.thumb.jpg.d5b966b6f6e5377f8c0e6f7e45b0bd3c.jpg

 

IMG_20200524_104529.thumb.jpg.f90c6f0187b820211354b8c2f3eb38cb.jpg

 

IMG_20200524_104631.thumb.jpg.6b1ae7c0c19d249978ec009559dc14f4.jpg

 

The the door top

IMG_20200524_104703.thumb.jpg.5dfe25e683fc7ce95092d547107c3d80.jpg

 

IMG_20200524_104746.thumb.jpg.3d302738fd690c7f546f0866ef82fabe.jpg

 

And the line thicknessIMG_20200524_104840.thumb.jpg.970defa92916ee31de47f78492c9009e.jpg

 

Wood grain pattern

IMG_20200524_104851.thumb.jpg.d033d757487a2b522552a08188727f1f.jpg

 

And more general shots of the door top

IMG_20200524_104857.thumb.jpg.e22ee8222a18c27b89bea9019aa43674.jpg

 

IMG_20200524_104904.thumb.jpg.297d3d266afdb164d7a9783ff8342aab.jpg

 

 

If you do not pinstripe yourself, then you can use fine line tape and On-Shot sign painters enamel (takes a little practice, but you can get it) with a good artist brush.  Also, One-Shot will clean up any "oops" with Goo-Gone (or mineral spirits) so you do not have to use thinner on your newly painted parts.  I often buy for half pints on ebay - a good price delivered with shipping should be around $16.00 (ex. ebay # 254599726012).  Also, usually someone pinstripes in every major city.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2020 at 5:15 PM, 38Buick 80C said:

 

IMG_20200517_171316.thumb.jpg.d9aec1b00963d4230605398eeaeff49f.jpg

I cleaned a set up for 1931 Cadillac in vinegar - came out fabulous to get into all the crevices and avoid replating (do a test area first though and use care). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

If you do not pinstripe yourself, then you can use fine line tape and On-Shot sign painters enamel (takes a little practice, but you can get it) with a good artist brush.  Also, One-Shot will clean up any "oops" with Goo-Gone (or mineral spirits) so you do not have to use thinner on your newly painted parts.  I often buy for half pints on ebay - a good price delivered with shipping should be around $16.00 (ex. ebay # 254599726012).  Also, usually someone pinstripes in every major city.  

I don't pinstripe but have a local resource.

 

25 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

I cleaned a set up for 1931 Cadillac in vinegar - came out fabulous to get into all the crevices and avoid replating (do a test area first though and use care). 

I've used vinegar before with good success but had not considered this application, it won't hurt the glass?

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

I don't pinstripe but have a local resource.

 

I've used vinegar before with good success but had not considered this application, it won't hurt the glass?

Drop a corner down into a little and try it first - should not harm glass (it is the original glass cleaner), but does not hurt to be cautious about that opalized glass and the nickle for that matter (in my case it actually made glass look better - I had a dirty looking spot I would guess caused by dirt baked on by a too high candlepower bulb and cleaned that up) 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Been working on filling the outs on the dash board.

IMG_20200524_111913.thumb.jpg.655e03ada81298fc8053b8d7b8196eab.jpg

 

Then decided to play some with a few other pieces to be wood grained. Will end up using a more caramel color, but using the darker to fill for now to save the caramel paint.

IMG_20200524_115514.thumb.jpg.37dd1b49e164359a09f4fc9c39212456.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It just occurred to me that there must be a top AND a bottom window trim piece for all windows as how else would the door tops have perfect wood grain left.

 

Yup there is a difference I hadn't noticed.

IMG_20200524_121305.thumb.jpg.02c1d1117b2ed0fcddca712591488319.jpg

Luckily I have all tops and bottoms

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Drop a corner down into a little and try it first - should not harm glass (it is the original glass cleaner), but does not hurt to be cautious about that opalized glass and the nickle for that matter (in my case it actually made glass look better - I had a dirty looking spot I would guess caused by dirt baked on by a too high candlepower bulb and cleaned that up) 

 

I put a spare one in a for a dip. 👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Vinegar worked well.

 

My spare became my best one (right most)

IMG_20200524_162932.thumb.jpg.215b7a910f64610a4a8b0ae6f190e233.jpg

 

That's all for today folks. Race will be starting soon.

 

Got a few more things on my weekend to do list for tomorrow. Nothing significant, but just stuff that needs to be done.

 

Next weekend hopefully radiator and grill are back along with replacement water pump and the coolant drain tube I'm having made. If I could have the coolant system 100% back together that would be pretty significant. Especially as it looks like kids' soccer restarts June 1 so not sure what that will do to my weekends yet but vacations coming and hopefully back on the road for work, but may slow me down some.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Slow start this AM... had to mow the lawn and then worked on the 69 Charger some.

 

I have been sanding the dash panel some. Got it pretty close to where I want it for wood graining. Debating on doing the white in the engraved letter prior to wood grain.

 

543954156_2020-05-2511_25_07.thumb.jpg.7bc4a38d18b558e84a68601b3d6e81e0.jpg

1545137748_2020-05-2511_25_22.thumb.jpg.7fa5e6afb404e1541207d7339584f0e5.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not for much but unless one managed to wood grain around the engraved lettering  I would think it would look sloppy to see wood graining going through them.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched a video online that says to clear coat in urethane, then dab  “One Shot” enamel into the letters and wipe off with mineral spirits. The spirits won’t affect the urethane. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I did an adjustment on the parking brake and put n a zerk fitting I could grease on the parking brake and the brake pedal and greased thoses.

 

Mostly cleaning up around the garage today as I've hit most all of the items on my to do list for the weekend. I did however find some electrical pins I needed to wire up and install the opera lights (less the bulbs).IMG_20200525_142300.thumb.jpg.5f8193e6c523dbfbd6e75ec508fd9049.jpg

 

 

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD WITH CLEAN SHOES ON DOESN'T IT.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, dei said:

MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD WITH CLEAN SHOES ON DOESN'T IT.

Usually, when I get something "passing through" (as in not going to keep it/restore it), the first thing I do is get whatever is appropriate for it in a tire and then restore wheels and hubcaps - it makes  anything look soooooooo much better.  It always baffles me to see someone put a car up for sale and it looks like hell to see that is comes with a set of tires not installed and a set of hubcaps in the trunk, albeit I am glad some people are not able to do much as I ended up with the car.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Got some photos to share from paint shop and radiator shop

First the paint shop

 

Gas tank coverIMG_20200526_125257_01.jpg.809a8aa08db72bf93ed5c0dda9c25a4e.jpg

 

Front valence (is that the correct term?)IMG_20200526_125253_01.jpg.2d2ebe75ba89c8ce4dd058ca605bba20.jpg

 

Frame rail covers

IMG_20200526_125259_01.jpg.5085db0ae1bf6c21cc3dd570ab0c7f25.jpg

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Next the radiator shop, not near as good.

IMG_20200526_140548_01.thumb.jpg.9b97c96a8a7ac20ca9d29ba34c5662d7.jpgIMG_20200526_140550_01.thumb.jpg.f7b5f8cd4f80514636a24e4532507591.jpgIMG_20200526_140554_01.thumb.jpg.85b04db9a116c1937a2592721bcb1af5.jpg

 

That's a massive hole in the bottom neck he had to repair.

 

The core is leaking as well. He says he can fix it...

Ugh...

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

Next the radiator shop, not near as good.

IMG_20200526_140548_01.thumb.jpg.9b97c96a8a7ac20ca9d29ba34c5662d7.jpgIMG_20200526_140550_01.thumb.jpg.f7b5f8cd4f80514636a24e4532507591.jpgIMG_20200526_140554_01.thumb.jpg.85b04db9a116c1937a2592721bcb1af5.jpg

 

That's a massive hole in the bottom neck he had to repair.

 

The core is leaking as well. He says he can fix it...

Ugh...

 

Did the 30's use pressure radiator caps? I thought they didn't . If not it looks like a good fix . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

 

Did the 30's use pressure radiator caps? I thought they didn't . If not it looks like a good fix . 

 

no pressure caps.

 

tubes are leaking too under about 1 lb pressure.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

 

no pressure caps.

 

tubes are leaking too under about 1 lb pressure.

Try your best, but if it has any sort of flow issues then best to move on to Plan B, Plan C, or ... - engine repairs are more expensive than radiator rebuilds (generally). 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I got the following back from the paint shop.

1. The headlight bar above

2. Luggage rack

3. Taillight mount

4. Frame rail covers

5. Visor

6. Most of the grill (long story)

 

Still no radiator.

 

Next week I should get

1. The rest of the grill

2. Gas tank cover

3. U shaped lower grill valence thing.

4. Drain tube

5. Rear fenders

 

I dropped off the hood today and next week the front fenders.

 

 

 

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...