Carolina Roadmasters: Taking over where Dad left off - 1930 Buick Series 61

38Buick 80C

Since the car is at the shop and I brought the 38-87 back to storage I have a bit of an empty garage (well one stall) so I spent the day just cleaning up the garage (well one stall). Pulled everything out, blew out all the stuff, mopped the floors, etc.  will probably hit the other half tomorrow (will save the third bay for another time).

Then wanted to clean up this trunk a bit.

image000002.thumb.jpg.e68816f45db71d0e6a64c4267a5f39fa.jpg

image000001.thumb.jpg.e3a332d56046b3d78135054544b8dddb.jpg

image000000.thumb.jpg.d605fa779d16766cacc12c8a2f5fc493.jpg

so here is before and after

image000002.thumb.jpg.e68816f45db71d0e6a64c4267a5f39fa.jpgimage000003.thumb.jpg.e6cf62e8b4355668cd88d43c367dfbed.jpg

The metal ribs will have to be repainted and wood grained and there is a good bit of minor leather repair here and there, but really not bad overall and will go well with the overall appearance of the car. Oh I have to have some handles made for the side. There are folks that sell them at Hershey but they are not the right size. I'm thinking I'll see if the upholstery shot can have a crack at it.

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)
  • Like 9

Also got these back from the machine shop.

Had to have the rope rail brackets honed to take the rod.  Now assembled

image000001.thumb.jpg.451a10d0b8a681e8bf9ef68f29166a68.jpg

Then to get these pieces

image000000.thumb.jpg.959795b18599b78a01bafe371552cc8f.jpg

I had to have the old bolts machined out  and then i needed to have new bolts made from scratch because they are 7/16 course thread slotted which means they are unobtainium.

image000002.thumb.jpg.ff55724d5dd155ba0e194d8e8e02651d.jpg

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

Little vinegar and some mother's polish and these cleaned up nicely.

IMG_20210206_161556.thumb.jpg.bc2af0b92e1a92d652c5cf20c7efe373.jpg

As you are quite aware, its all in the details!  I really hope to see this Buick at the BCA National.

6 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

Since the car is at the shop and I brought the 38-87 back to storage I have a bit of an empty garage (well one stall) so I spent the day just cleaning up the garage (well one stall). Pulled everything out, blew out all the stuff, mopped the floors, etc.  will probably hit the other half tomorrow (will save the third bay for another time).

image000002.thumb.jpg.e68816f45db71d0e6a64c4267a5f39fa.jpgimage000003.thumb.jpg.e6cf62e8b4355668cd88d43c367dfbed.jpg

The metal ribs will have to be repainted and wood grained and there is a good bit of minor leather repair here and there, but really not bad overall and will go well with the overall appearance of the car. Oh I have to have some handles made for the side. There are folks that sell them at Hershey but they are not the right size. I'm thinking I'll see if the upholstery shot can have a crack at it.

It came out nice.

Did you consider going with a metal trunk, painted the same color as the lower body color?

It would give it an elongated and unbroken appearance to the body.

Just my thinking. This Buick is a WOW. 

8 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

Did you consider going with a metal trunk, painted the same color as the lower body color?

Dave,

I hadn't really thought about it one way or another. I knew dad had a trunk (or at least that was my recollection), but after I bought this one I discovered the one dad had was more like pieces and parts of a trunk. This trunk was a Hershey find a few years back. It was in the condition as shown above, the price was reasonable and it had that Buick tag in it, so I figured I couldn't go wrong. When I learned the condition of what dad has I felt even better about my purchase.

In so far as a metal trunk I guess I right, wrong or indifferent I have in my head that metal trunks were used on later Buick's like '33-'35, Maybe on '32's. My unconscious bias I guess.

I'd say I've had more thoughts in my head about going without a trunk, than a metal one.

• Like 1

This was just set up there as we were looking at color match. This photo isn't the greatest cause of the shadow, but it's a decent match.

IMG_20210211_131050.thumb.jpg.e087144bc28c5d7bdd9cb5a0cd272d2d.jpg

If you look closely we got the dual wiper setup complete. Thanks to @Str8-8-Dave for the info to make the missing remote mount. 

• Like 5

On 2/7/2021 at 7:37 PM, 38Buick 80C said:

Dave,

I hadn't really thought about it one way or another. I knew dad had a trunk (or at least that was my recollection), but after I bought this one I discovered the one dad had was more like pieces and parts of a trunk. This trunk was a Hershey find a few years back. It was in the condition as shown above, the price was reasonable and it had that Buick tag in it, so I figured I couldn't go wrong. When I learned the condition of what dad has I felt even better about my purchase.

In so far as a metal trunk I guess I right, wrong or indifferent I have in my head that metal trunks were used on later Buick's like '33-'35, Maybe on '32's. My unconscious bias I guess.

I'd say I've had more thoughts in my head about going without a trunk, than a metal one.

I love the rounded style of the metal trunks. Purchased this one at Hershey for not too many dollars and then shipped it back to Australia to fit on my 1930 sedan. Painted it the same colour as the car as suggested by Dave.

You are doing a great job getting this vehicle back on the road, loving your work.

CCI_000007 (3).jpg

CCI_000008 (2).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Try this ebay part # 193887538479

So I cant find the post where I brought up the dome light, but i have all the components. The headliner was installed and no provision was made to put the dome light in, so the wiring is unconnected is the main issue. The wood mount above headliner is there and I have the "base" that fits in the wood. just need to hook it all up. But luckily or unluckily something (probably moths) got into the headliner and its gonna have to be redone, so it will come down and we will get it right. Which then brings me to the next point.

1 hour ago, Erndog said:

That dome light is not used in a Model 61.

That is EXACTLY what mine looks like so if not that one, than what does it look like?

15 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

So I cant find the post where I brought up the dome light, but i have all the components. The headliner was installed and no provision was made to put the dome light in, so the wiring is unconnected is the main issue. The wood mount above headliner is there and I have the "base" that fits in the wood. just need to hook it all up. But luckily or unluckily something (probably moths) got into the headliner and its gonna have to be redone, so it will come down and we will get it right. Which then brings me to the next point.

That is EXACTLY what mine looks like so if not that one, than what does it look like?

Very interesting. My 1930 Model 61 was completely original when I got it, except for two "repaired" main sills. There was no dome light other than the rear corner lights, nor wiring for one or evidence of ever having been. Additionally, the Master Parts Book does not list a Dome lamp (group B1.925) for the 1930 Model 61. It does list a "Dome lamp door switch" (part# 4310035/4310036) for this car, but that would be the one for the corner lamps.  However, there is a "Front compartment door lamp and switch" (part# 4300229) for the 1930 Model 60L. That is the limousine, of course, and the sales brochure for 1930 shows it for that model, though it is not shown for any other 60 series car in the brochure.

If your car has one it may have been added by mistake, or just a rare car, or I may be completely wrong. In any event, good on you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well it's finally home. 

IMG_20210401_151349.thumb.jpg.e8bd659e25784fd3d44ab043280e77b6.jpg

Long story, painter wasn't satisfied with the hood so he did it again. But basically a little over a year since I started on it and it looks like a car now. I still have some work to do interior wise but I plan to have her on the showfield at the AACA National next week in Concord a whole 2.5 miles down the road.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Did a handful of things this evening after soccer practice

Dash wood grain piece installed

IMG_20210401_165436.thumb.jpg.ae979c421121e0eccbee6f4f36336298.jpg

And installed the door pad and some wood grained window trim... Learning I may have some more work on that front. And know these will come back off to do the misc fabric trim that was never made back 30 years ago...waiting on fabric from SMS.

IMG_20210401_212238.thumb.jpg.ff6a476cc843ed9cb647abee20576e01.jpg

• Like 6

Trying to get more done for Saturday. Installed all the door panels and wood grain I could. Door handles and window cranks too. Gave her a good bath last night and worked on white walls today. Found the chrome cowl hoop was never tightened so did that too. 

Sorry didn't take much photos, but I did for this small detailIMG_20210407_154921.jpg.74a48af4d063b3e3f398bcc0e9cb4fac.jpg

Oh and got the dual wipers in place too and set the wiper switch in the dash, but it's not connected yet. Looks like rain for this weekends show but we will see. 

Got to work on the white walls more and detail her some more before the show, not gonna score any awards with all the missing interior upholstery, but want to her to look nice none the less. Plus it all has to be done some time so why not now 

• Like 3

Had a good time at the AACA National in Concord this past weekend. Car displayed nicely and dad I think was very happy about it, especially seeing her drive down the road. Dad was my Uber to shuttle cars back and forth to the showfield and back. He sat it in in the back seat for quite some time and picked up my hardware at the appropriate time (I had to do my dad duties and watch my oldest son win a soccer game about 90 min away from the show that afternoon). I tried to give him the hardware, but he wouldn't accept it (I think he wanted the car back instead). With 2 other cars in the show and the soccer game to get to I didn't get to take any photos. Hopefully some one else did and will post on here.

On the drive home she got to 210 and spewed like a can of beer when I shut her off in the driveway. Also noticed a discharge which I think might be a loose wire as it was intermittent. Think I will borrow a trailer to to take her to the upholstery shop which is her next port of call. Hopefully ASAP, I will talk to them tomorrow.

A BIG thank you to Doug and Nate Seybold. My 1969 Dodge Charger decided to be the car that refused to go home after the show and they were kind enough to unload their car, load me up, and take me the two miles up the road. I haven't quite diagnosed what is an obviously ignition issue (as we had another soccer game today), but she did manage to get her Senior award so I was happy about that. Hey the rule is it has to be driven ON the showfield, nothing about driven off.

• Like 6

On 4/8/2021 at 7:24 PM, 38Buick 80C said:

Plan is to bring it to Auburn. Bring one of yours over, its just a stones throw from you.

There is a big family party on Saturday, day of show, so I'll probably just drive mybtruck there Friday to check out swap and whatever cars I can.  I'll look for your car!

• Like 1

Brian,

I was going to take some photos of the car, but several people were standing around. I planned to come back but between the off and on rain and having to ditch the camera before I started judging, I guess I never got back. I did get these for you though...

DSC_0689.JPG

DSC_0692.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Any new updates ?

Thanks for checking in. It's been at the upholstery shop for a couple weeks now. Nothing has happened though ( I stopped by earlier this week). We are basically t-minus 31 days and counting until I load up for Auburn. I don't think it is going to make it. I think I will be swapping to the above 80C, but we will see. 

I have all the material in hand except the window shade material which is unique. I don't even have a source for that at the moment. Thoughts?

If it misses Auburn I don't plan on taking it to Hershey as I plan to drive the 69 Charger there. So that would mean I have loads of time to finishes before Spring Charlotte.

At the moment it's a bit out of site out of mind. I am working on getting an OEM cruise control and power brakes on the 69 Charger and I am gathering repro parts for my 38-87 which is the next resto. I've also got a bead on another car, but we will see... if i can actually acquire it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

I saw your Charger in the latest AACA magazine and it is great looking. Didn’t know you liked the more modern stuff.

Thanks! Well, that's my first car actually. Bought it when I was 16... kept it all this time. I like Dukes of Hazzard, that's how I ended up with that. i have an '08 Charger Super Bee the same color, those are my modern rides.  Plus the wife's bimmer...

The window shades are a bit touchy - I use to order via such from Lebaron Bonney and just replace with a shade of approximate width (regardless of end being Ford), but that really is not an option anymore.  Any good fabric store should have the material (a satin of decent weight) in a choice of colors, but you need to do the ends of the fabric as obviously the original shades were woven to a specific length.  Last one we did we used a product called Stitch Witchery to fuse the seams on the ends.   We also used Sobo Glue on the mechanism. 

By the way - I would have shades done by someone who knows how to do craft sewing verses an automotive upholsterer. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

well finally a bit of a progress update.

here are some photos of the completed upholstery work on the door panel upper and lowers.

image000003.jpg.b99cde9018d1ac4a00f539b1d2b56e36.jpg

Also new carpet and the foot rest in carpet.

image000002.jpg.f426deaab01305cea51f205d70b5da5a.jpg

header panel installed.

image000000.jpg.345605ee37c7887446a640e571e19bbb.jpg

She did pretty good at Auburn

image000001.jpg.937fb16d9168140245024acf297b4b61.jpg

She is back at the upholstery shop today so we can finish up other items like replacing the headlight that the moths got into.

At Auburn I noticed the left rear wheel seal was leaking axel fluid so add that to the to do. list. I dropped the trunk off at dad's to be wood grained and got my leather repair guy lined up to hit the trunk once dad is done.

• Like 7

On 2/7/2021 at 7:30 AM, 38Buick 80C said:

Work has just started on my 1930 Buick Model 47 and I am planning to build a trunk for it. I was wondering whether you could provide some dimension? Looking for the usual width and depth but also the height to the middle of the curved lid and the height to where the lid meets the lid and the thickness of the timber panels. Finally, is the base timber or metal, Thanks in advance, Paul 

11 hours ago, Paul White said:

Work has just started on my 1930 Buick Model 47 and I am planning to build a trunk for it. I was wondering whether you could provide some dimension? Looking for the usual width and depth but also the height to the middle of the curved lid and the height to where the lid meets the lid and the thickness of the timber panels. Finally, is the base timber or metal, Thanks in advance, Paul 

Just gave the trunk to my dad to do some things so I don't have it in my possession at the moment but gladly will supply once I get it back.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

How are the projects going ?

John,

Been sitting at the upholstery shop waiting for windows shades to be made and a few other things. Wow just looked that was July... Yeah I haven't called or asked. He knows my next show is early April so, free storage... 🤣

I did find and buy a spare radiator. I had it re-cored with a modern core. Just got it back last week actually. Unfortunately the top tank position is slightly off. Gonna take it back next week and let him adjust that. Good news is the spare radiator came with a really really nice shutter set that works great. I had it powder coated and I will use it on the car. After the April show I will swap radiators (or likely I will have someone else do it to be honest). With the car at that point theoretically not prone to overheating I will take it to be pinstriped and I STILL haven't connected with my leather repair guy for the trunk but he says he will do it.

A few other details and then just enjoy it occasionally.

But this is the current project:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Upholstery shop is replacing the headliner. As part of that we are getting the dome light installed as I wasn't sure exactly what was up there.

Unfortunately as seen in this first picture. The support for the dome light didn't have the much needed hole for it to be installed.

IMG953525.jpg.24124b38304f7ea94691bfeaff2c96c5.jpg

Fortunately my upholstery shop is spectacular and we now have the needed hole.

IMG953526.jpg.29c2a09ee45308db85e0556b19f95be6.jpg

i-love-it-when-a-plan-comes-together-memegenerator-net-29894472.png.dceaf0ad4f731e68de99de03c0057a28.png

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Tomorrow I get the car back from the upholstery shop. Headliner replaced, curtains installed, rope rail installed. Many other minor details completed. Very excited to see it basically done.

I have to have the radiator replaced, had my spare recored, but there was a slight issue with the placement of the top tank, but should be done soon. That should make it a solid driver and I will be very pleased with that and call it "done" at that point though they are never REALLY done.

• Like 3