I didn't realize DB used some wood-framed bodies in early production

22touring

I finally got around to buying a copy of Charles Hyde's "The Dodge Brothers" on Kindle, and noticed that the author states DB bought 1,500 wood-framed bodies from the Wilson Carriage Co. the first year of production, apparently because the Budd Co. couldn't produce enough all-steel bodies (citing Frederick Haynes's notebook).

I was totally unaware of this when I disagreed with nearchoclatetown over the issue.  Sorry about that!

The Hyde book sure does contain a lot of interesting information.

Although they exist somewhere I have never seen a Wilson body. The first  body advertised as being built by DB had a lot of wood in it, the centerdoor sedan which started in late '17. The sheet metal was nailed to the wood structure. You can also see the marks left by tin sheers where they cut the sheet metal for the sedans. They were just building cars any way they could get them out the door. 

According to the owners manual of my 28 DB Senior there is a picture of the crank shaft   stating the crank  is devoid of balancing thing and is super balanced with hardly any vibration. It looks as a Continental but the article is written in such a way as to make one believe it was made by dodge brothers. And I believed it until now. There is no mention of compression. The 4 cylinder is mentioned as 75 psi. The crank shaft runs on 7 mains.

There is mention of 10 wooden spokes but my 28  DB  Senior has 12 wood spokes to a wheel. On disc wheels the hub studs are threaded right hand on the right side marked R and the left side caps are marked L . I like the 28 DB because it has Hydraulic brakes. Used parts are difficult to find.

Trini, if you like to read go to the DBC website. Down the left is a listing for Confidential Information. It is information sent to DB dealers and there is more Senior info then I have ever seen anywhere before. Last night I read a note saying as of a particular date DB would not be supplying Senior closed car doors painted to match the color of the car. They would only be supplied in primer. SO, does that mean all replacement body parts were finish painted before shipping? There is a lot of engine information about Seniors too. They had a recall on connecting rods among other issues. Disc wheels were only supplied on Seniors for a short period of time. 

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:09 AM, 22touring said:

I finally got around to buying a copy of Charles Hyde's "The Dodge Brothers" on Kindle, and noticed that the author states DB bought 1,500 wood-framed bodies from the Wilson Carriage Co. the first year of production, apparently because the Budd Co. couldn't produce enough all-steel bodies (citing Frederick Haynes's notebook).

I was totally unaware of this when I disagreed with nearchoclatetown over the issue.  Sorry about that!

The Hyde book sure does contain a lot of interesting information.

Guys, Dodge Brothers by way of G.C.Budd initially started with only open cars with All Steel bodies. However as production progressed on chassis faster than Budd could keep up there was  contract with Wilson for those mentioned 1500 bodies. These were introduced along with the All Steel and only tourings from about 14500 to somewhere around 38000. As I understand there were NO roadsters with Wilson bodies.  Second as production progressed and closed cars were introduced these were DB Factory built and were wood frame bodies with sheet metal. These continued until after both Brothers were deceased and in '23 closed 'Business' car bodies switched to Budd Steel bodies. The Type A closed cars continued with wood frames to 1923. After '24 all DB bodies were Steel. Obviously there were chassis with aftermarket 'WOODIE 'Station Wagon bodies.  I hope this helps.

21 hours ago, RAH said:

Guys, Dodge Brothers by way of G.C.Budd initially started with only open cars with All Steel bodies. However as production progressed on chassis faster than Budd could keep up there was  contract with Wilson for those mentioned 1500 bodies. These were introduced along with the All Steel and only tourings from about 14500 to somewhere around 38000. As I understand there were NO roadsters with Wilson bodies.  Second as production progressed and closed cars were introduced these were DB Factory built and were wood frame bodies with sheet metal. These continued until after both Brothers were deceased and in '23 closed 'Business' car bodies switched to Budd Steel bodies. The Type A closed cars continued with wood frames to 1923. After '24 all DB bodies were Steel. Obviously there were chassis with aftermarket 'WOODIE 'Station Wagon bodies.  I hope this helps.

OOPS, As nearchocolatetown  noted I spaced and totally forgot about the Fisher 4 pass coupes whose wood frame bodies were introduced and installed on DB chassis in '24 and '25.   SOOO All the same, Huh?

It is interesting that neither the 1970's Cars & Parts series "Good Enough Is Not Acceptable" by Don Butler, nor "The Brothers Dodge" by Stan Grayson in Automobile Quarterly for the first quarter of 1979 (two fairly well-respected sources of information concerning the DB car) mentions the 1,500 Wilson bodies.  Butler, if not Grayson,  claimed to have reviewed Frederick Haynes's notebooks.