Ok time for the big reveal. Don't get too excited, it's not that big! Dodge Wayfarer Sportabout

auburnseeker

56 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Loving this beautiful Dodge even more! Looks like new tires, too. Thanks for the update pictures!

Yup went with the 670 x 15 Firestones,  brand new.  Had to clean and paint the back of the back wheels as leaky wheel cylinders had eaten the paint off and they were rusting.  I dismounted the old ones , mounted these by hand and balanced them on an old bubble balancer my Dad found me a few years ago. 

With DMV still closed around here and by an impossible to get appointment only,  I might not even be able to get it registered this year.  If I'm really lucky the DMV in the next county about an hour away,  might sneak me in as they do very little volume this time of year.

Wow, looks great! Those little Mopars are genuine over-achievers and run great. Better still, they're virtually indestructible. You should be able to find a correct manifold or even an aftermarket header without too much difficulty. Nice to see it out in the open!

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Ok time for the big reveal. Don't get too excited, it's not that big! Dodge Wayfarer Sportabout

I bought a reconditioned manifold from Vintage Power Wagons about eight years ago.  It looked brand new when it arrived.  They specialize in military parts, but back then they had manifolds that fit my 48 Plymouth perfectly.  I just checked their catalog and they still have them under the motor parts section.  They have both intake and exhaust manifolds.  Might be worth taking a look, although the aren’t cheap.

• Like 1

They list an assembly for $400.  I would need to verify car and truck are the same so my exhaust hooks up.  Not much is going to happen over the weekend so I'll see if anything local turns up,  or if my lead works out first. 

Now see if a non car guy got this,  that couldn't wrench he would be in for a $1000 repair probably from a garage.  Shows you how even a good looking "restored " car can still end up problematic and cause someone just getting into the hobby to get discouraged in short order.  

Figure that repair bill,  new brakes, tires, an exhaust manifold, fuel pump with labor to repair it all.   Boy you hand that to a guy that just bought a nice car who was expecting to be out cruising in it.  That doesn't include the multitude of other issues and parts I addressed. 

Now you see why we might run down or atleast add an air of caution to some of the "not mine " cars for sale.

• Like 1

The exhaust manifold is just an inconvenience.......poor workmanship in a restoration is fifty times worse........give me a rusty unmolested car over a machine that has had two amateur restorations done to it.......they are way too much work and aggravation to try and straighten out. 

• Like 1

Over my lifetime I have bought three antique cars from active or retired airline mechanics. All three were resoundingly excellent cars. The workmanship was exemplary. My current Model A was reassembled/restored by a Delta mechanic that has since gone on to the big hangar in the sky. I bought the car from him 20+ years ago, kept it for a couple of years, sold it to a friend and bought it back two years ago. The more I dig into it for service etc the more I smile.

i love those ‘46-‘52 Mopars and I am watching out for a good one........hopefully restored/maintained by an airline mechanic!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

They list an assembly for $400.  I would need to verify car and truck are the same so my exhaust hooks up.  Not much is going to happen over the weekend so I'll see if anything local turns up,  or if my lead works out first. 

Now see if a non car guy got this,  that couldn't wrench he would be in for a $1000 repair probably from a garage.  Shows you how even a good looking "restored " car can still end up problematic and cause someone just getting into the hobby to get discouraged in short order.  

Figure that repair bill,  new brakes, tires, an exhaust manifold, fuel pump with labor to repair it all.   Boy you hand that to a guy that just bought a nice car who was expecting to be out cruising in it.  That doesn't include the multitude of other issues and parts I addressed. 

Now you see why we might run down or atleast add an air of caution to some of the "not mine " cars for sale.

‘I know the manifold I bought from them fit my 48 Plymouth perfectly.  It was identical to the one I took off.  I would call them, they were very helpful and answered all my concerns.  But, as I said, not cheap.

39 minutes ago, Taylormade said:

‘I know the manifold I bought from them fit my 48 Plymouth perfectly.  It was identical to the one I took off.  I would call them, they were very helpful and answered all my concerns.  But, as I said, not cheap.

Not cheap............I clearly remember the first time I went to buy an actual car part at Hershey in 1980........I had no basis of understanding of what anything should cost...........and the guy was wondering why a 14 year old was looking at 1931 Cadillac parts...........I explained I was working on one. He smiled........and I asked him to explain to me how prices were determined.........I got supply and demand. Then, I got my most important lesson.......he said to me......”Son, old cars ain’t cheap.”

One of the most profound lessons of my life.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 1:35 PM, alsancle said:

Another squeaky Ed disciple I see.

That car would be awesome with the splits on it and an Edmunds dual intake.

Dual carb intake - any interest - Mopar Flathead Truck Forum - P15-D24.com  and Pilot-house.com

Projects - Official Chrysler Flathead 6 W/ Dual Carbs Dual Exhaust Thread |  Page 2 | The H.A.M.B.

Not necessarily.  This is in my other bay and I was responsible for building it,  though it was really just some pieces of an old cabriolet and not a whole car when I got it so nothing great was harmed in the build.

I'm just getting tired of throwing time and money at this car plus adding extra work to put it all in with new exhaust.   Now if you want to buy all the parts for me,  well I'll supply the free labor. ;) 

IMG_5990.JPG

IMG_5991.JPG

IMG_5992.JPG