Ok time for the big reveal. Don't get too excited, it's not that big! Dodge Wayfarer Sportabout

auburnseeker

Here she is. Unfortunately with the cold gray day,  I have to post a photo the seller sent me.   I'll try to get it out over the weekend for a few better shots.  Winter has been knocking on our door today.  Lets hope it passes us by.   I would love to drive it once or twice this fall,  if for nothing else,  than to find the gremlins most old cars have so I can sort them over the winter.   She doesn't look like she's had much use in the last 20 years with about 3000 on the odometer according to the owner restorer.  

I have seen a few and remember seeing one for sale when I was around 16 or 17 in much worse shape for ironically not alot less money and that was 30 years ago.  

She runs very well.  Most chrome is new, Nice top and decent interior.  Very good straight body with good paint and since it's been on there a long time I should be good to go.  

Needs alot of detailing.  Looks about as dirty in person,  but that's some of the fun.  I haven't had a chance to test everything out so I can't give a full report. 

Should be a fun driver by next summer.

Now the question. The Bedford Classic tires are probably 20 years old so they need to go.   Correct white walls or Blackwalls?  I probably won't go the expense of Radial whites so they would be probably a Bias Firestone white.  Had them on my 48 Plymouth conv't and it drove very well without even balancing the wheels. 

No I'm not going Chrysler Wires Though I do have a full painted set that came off a 54 Dodge sedan in a junkyard back in the 60's. 

thumbnail-7.jpeg

• Like 26

It's a 51 Dodge Wayfarer Sportabout "Roadster".  Basically they took the 3 window coupe and chopped the roof off.  Huge trunk and space behind the seat.  Kind of like a Business man's Roadster. They built them from 1949-1952.

They called it a Roadster as in 49 it actually had removable windows but they weren't popular so they went to conventional roll up windows I think late in the year. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Now the question. The Bedford Classic tires are probably 20 years old so they need to go.   Correct white walls or Blackwalls?  I probably won't go the expense of Radial whites so they would be probably a Bias Firestone white.  Had them on my 48 Plymouth conv't and it drove very well without even balancing the wheels. 

I always liked the look and ride of BF Goodrich Silvertowns.

Congratulations! with all the time and labor you put into your building , plus letting all of us read about how, why, what the construction was about you deserve a great machine that perhaps needs very little to take you and your wife for a ride to have a bit of time away from everything you have been working on for so long . this is the great car to "take that break" with.  I am so very happy for you and I am sure many who read this feel exactly the way i do.

I have seen the trunks on these when they are open as well as the ones on the coupe that shares the same primary body shell. you can set up a bowling alley in there it is so deep!

Hope you have many pleasurable miles of great motoring in your new acquisition. All my very best.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alsancle said:

LOVE IT!   I threw out the Skylark and Caribbean but I should have tossed this out too.    The early side curtain cars and the very last ones like yours are my favorites.    That engine is indestructible and there is cool vintage speed equipment that you can bolt on.

Be sure to join this forum:  https://p15-d24.com/

I definitely wouldn't have kicked a Skylark  or Caribbean out if one was available but A very rough project is about all one could afford for what I paid for this.

I forgot all about those forums.  I was on there when I had my 48 Plymouth.  I have the log in written down somewhere.  I'll be sure to go there is I have any questions I can't get answered here. Rebuilding the 36 Chrysler 6 and doing a Valve job and brakes on the 48 Plymouth, I should have enough in my wheelhouse if I dig deep enough to get it figured out. 

I do want to thank you all for the kind words.  It's far from perfect but a decent car with alot of nice work done.  Looks like a new cloth wrapped wire harness was put in when they restored it.  The old guy spent some money.  The top is Canvas and not vinyl as well. 

I like! I would like to see it shod on period correct, wide whites. I've seen the coupes but can't remember seeing one of these. Please believe me when I say that there was a better the 50/50 chance that your grandfather, had he bought one,  would have ordered this with ww's. I guess that it kind of depends whether you want it to be contemporary 50's, or you're looking to modernize.  Did Chrysler maintain production orders for their cars?

Since it’s getting new tires, I recommend you use black shoe polish on the whitewalls on one side  and post a photo......we can take a survey or vote for the final result. 

27 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Since it’s getting new tires, I recommend you use black shoe polish on the whitewalls on one side  and post a photo......we can take a survey or vote for the final result. 

That would actually work.  I might give it a try.  It might be a week before I get it done,  but I'll get to it. 

3 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Looks like it has been lowered about three inches?

I was wondering if someone lowered it.  I was thinking maybe the springs are just weak but boy it sits very level.  Roof Height is a good 6 inches lower than my Hudson Pickup and that's saying alot for the time period.  Especially when they all seemed to be designed to wear a top hat in them. 

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Photoshop is faster and easier to perform and reverse than shoe polish.  😁

And if you don't want to purchase Photoshop you can download GIMP for free.

All an amateur would need.

• Like 1

It might not be lowered.   Many of 51's seem to sit like that.   The 51 is rare.  9300 over 3 years,  but only 1k in the last year of 51.

I tried to buy my first one when I was 18.  It was advertised for 1500 bucks in the Want Advertiser as a good restoration candidate.   What a complete POS it was when I got there.

• Like 2

That was easier that shoe polish for sure. .  Thanks for that.

It doesn't look terrible with the black walls.  Not sure yet though.  

I used to relate guys that went with blackwalls to guys being to cheap to spring for the Whites.  On the Hudson the blackwalls definitely look fitting.  Not sure if it makes this look cheaper or dignified.  I want it to look sporty.