1947 Chrysler Windsor no reverse

Kelly Hern

Just bought a 1947 Chrysler Windsor. Car drove great, but I never thought to try reverse. Fluid drive with standard H-pattern on the column. I was told it was 4 speed transmission and that reverse was near first [up and in] and hard to find. I've worked hours with no success. All 4 positions go foreward. Little on the internet but what I've seen makes me question seller's honesty. Son of owner who had died. Any one have any knowledge on this?

Just to be sure, reverse is toward you and up. There are also 2 forward positions. Each has 2 speeds with an automatic shift. Normally you start off in High range, lift off the gas for a few seconds when you hit 14 MPH or more and it shifts up into top gear. For complete details there are some long threads from 2008 in the Chrysler section, search for Fluid Drive.

image.png.35e9a50456eb537805539b5cd8fd0154.png

I assume the tranny is the M5? My fluid drive tranny can be finicky to go into reverse gear. Sometimes I have to engage a forward gear, release clutch, load up gear, then try reverse again. It’s always eventually gone into reverse. Never left me stranded. However, perfect it ain’t. Linkage wear over multiple joints adds up. One more thing I’ll eventually get to, linkage adjustment. I’ll add it to the list. 

It's in need of a shift rod adjustment. 

The motor mounts are probably worn out and the engine has shifted.

You like your old chrysler...better get the factory service manual so you can learn how to properly take care of it.

Not many will know as much as you if you study that service manual. The adjustment is done on the only adjustable shifter rod next to the steering column....loosen the two 7/16" nuts...they probably need to be screwed up tighter to shorten the rod.

• 2 weeks later...

On mine I just put it in the normal 2nd position - towards the dash and up - then back to neutral and pull towards yourself and up. worked like it was supposed to be that way ...... never gave it a second thought, It is usually easier to adjust to a car than to try to get a car to adjust to you.

You didn't road test with the seller and know that reverse was pull back and up? 

Rusty posted the correct shifter pattern

Find an original owners AND Shop manual and read them so you will understand the basic operation and service of your C38 model Chrysler with the M5 Hydraulically Operated Transmission with the Fluid Coupling.

You also need to have a very good

E-Brake to prevent a roll away. 

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
On 11/1/2019 at 1:34 PM, Rusty_OToole said:

Just to be sure, reverse is toward you and up. There are also 2 forward positions. Each has 2 speeds with an automatic shift. Normally you start off in High range, lift off the gas for a few seconds when you hit 14 MPH or more and it shifts up into top gear. For complete details there are some long threads from 2008 in the Chrysler section, search for Fluid Drive.

image.png.35e9a50456eb537805539b5cd8fd0154.png

There are two different transmissions made for this car. The 4 speed/ 2 up-2 down, and the 3 speed h-tree as mine has. So many assume that all the 4/2-2, but that is not the case. Like I said, mine has an H-tree pattern. I have found out that there is one linkage adjustment to make the reverse work, although I have been unable to get it done [not a one man job, especially if handicapped] by myself.