1936 Dictator Coupe Wood Flooring

Does anyone have pictures or a diagram of the wooden floor in a 36 Coupe including the battery opening?  I contacted the Studebaker Museum and they sent me what that had. They didn't have the whole plan. The old wood floor is there but in rough shape. I have used it for a pattern but I don't think is it fitting correctly.   I would really appreciate any and all help as the interior is the last thing to do so I can get the 36 Coupe on the road in the spring! Please let me know if you can please help me. 

Thanks,

Dennis

On 11/1/2019 at 8:39 AM, 1953 GMC Hydra-Matic said:

Does anyone have pictures or a diagram of the wooden floor in a 36 Coupe including the battery opening?  I contacted the Studebaker Museum and they sent me what that had. They didn't have the whole plan. The old wood floor is there but in rough shape. I have used it for a pattern but I don't think is it fitting correctly.   I would really appreciate any and all help as the interior is the last thing to do so I can get the 36 Coupe on the road in the spring! Please let me know if you can please help me. 

Thanks,

Dennis

The original floor is plywood 5/8” is what I measured . I will post pictures soon . Using the old floor for a pattern along with the info from the  museum which wasn’t much help . I will post more pictures as I work my way through it. Check with the Studebaker Museum they may have more information about your 34. Here is a picture of the plywood I have cut out. Now going back and making it fit. Thanks 

Dennis

2D17071B-ACF8-4601-B194-BB9D72FEA150.jpeg

F19D2123-754B-4C99-B23A-9193AFC0EEB7.jpeg

• Like 1

Terry Frye has just completed restoration of a 1936 Coupe and hopefully will be able to help you. I PM'd you his contact info.

i missed typed the year I got it right in the pm.  Terry also has a 1938 Coupe Express and a 1938 parts car - he was very helpful to me when I was putting my 38 Coupe back together.

Edited by Cowtown Commander (see edit history)

Terry's 36 coupe has nothing in common with your 34. both the 34 and 36 are both rather rare, very few of the survivors have been authentically restored. I hope that you intend to restore these cars as appose street rodding them. Please believe me when I say  that there is room for  both restored and rodded cars in out world, but with so few survivors, and so many which have already been altered,  I think we need to have a few survivors. The 1935 coupes are the closest kin to the 34, but while the bodies may look the same, they have a different body. The 36's closest kin in the 37, but the 37 used a screwed down tin floor instead of plywood. To the gentleman with the 36, I think that you are on the right track, looks good.

Bill

I am restoring as original. New cloth wiring harnesses, interior original cloth , headlights, shocks just to name a few things that I am doing.Thanks for the compliment Bill. The 36 is taking me some time as I am doing it by myself with help from other Studebaker members.

Again thanks. I will post more pictures as I make progress.

Dennis

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 3:40 PM, Buffalowed Bill said:

Terry's 36 coupe has nothing in common with your 34. both the 34 and 36 are both rather rare, very few of the survivors have been authentically restored. I hope that you intend to restore these cars as appose street rodding them. Please believe me when I say  that there is room for  both restored and rodded cars in out world, but with so few survivors, and so many which have already been altered,  I think we need to have a few survivors. The 1935 coupes are the closest kin to the 34, but while the bodies may look the same, they have a different body. The 36's closest kin in the 37, but the 37 used a screwed down tin floor instead of plywood. To the gentleman with the 36, I think that you are on the right track, looks good.

Thanks for the advice. Yes it is most definately being restored original. 

Search Facebook for 34.stude.dictator.coupe for my restoration page. When I was just 10 years old I convinced my father to not hotrod it and make it original. He never touched it again but spent many weekends walking Hershey and Carlisle in the 80's looking for parts. Dad has been gone 21 years and I am finally starting the restoration I have dreamt about for so long. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon!

I am having trouble getting my seat frame to slide and adjust. I have measured many times and re-drilled the floor board and plugged holes with dowel rod. I was wondering  if anyone has had this problem. Am I missing shims or something that is making it bind up? I used the old floor board as a template along with measuring.  Thanks for any help!

Dennis 

image.jpg

Good evening,

I found my own answer. After I put the seats in I had enough leverage to move it back and forth. Now I can finish the floor boards, painting and installing. Waiting for the interior kit to be finished. Plan on driving to the National Meet first of August, 2020. I just might make it.

Thanks again for everyone’s help.

D

image.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just a follow up picture of the wood floor boards finally installed. (Terry Frye has been a great help.) Finishing the dash and then onto the doors to install the window channel and cat whiskers. Waiting on the rest of my interior to come from Southeast Studebaker. Will post more pictures of the dash/heater and glove box.

AA42854F-ADB2-4B51-81CA-C81542F0BD94.jpeg

On 11/2/2019 at 9:52 AM, Albtrossca said:

I'm interested in people's reply to this. My 34 doesnt even have a floor. 

What kind and thickness of plywood is it, or is it a hardwood?

Here is a photo of the 34 floor.  I had it left over from a project and gave the base metal to John McCall.  He made the rubber mold for it. From this back is a piece it is wood.  Then back to metal behind the seat. 

Edited by studerex (see edit history)

I have a question, Studerex. When I got the 36 Coupe the floor was gone except for very rough plywood. Does the rubber shifter boot go over the carpet? Thanks for your help and input. Hope this question is not silly. This is my first Studebaker restoration. My other restoration is our 1953 GMC Hydra-Matic.

Thanks 

Dennis

7 hours ago, 1953 GMC Hydra-Matic said:

I have a question, Studerex. When I got the 36 Coupe the floor was gone except for very rough plywood. Does the rubber shifter boot go over the carpet? Thanks for your help and input. Hope this question is not silly. This is my first Studebaker restoration. My other restoration is our 1953 GMC Hydra-Matic.

Thanks 

Dennis

You got it correct.

9 hours ago, Albtrossca said:

So are you saying this piece in the picture is metal. From this piece back is plywood until behind the seats. Then its wood again?

Here is a photo of a 35 floor.  The 34 is different with that metal covered rubber toe board in the other photo. 

7754.JPG

• Thanks 1

There’s carpet in a ‘36 Dictator coupe? My ‘35 Commander sedan  has a rubber mat (in the front— carpet in the rear seat area)  and the ‘37 President Coupe I once owned had a rubber mat and they are both more up-scale than a Dictator. I don’t have a dog in this race, but I’m kind of curious

Tom

18 minutes ago, 37S2de said:

There’s carpet in a ‘36 Dictator coupe? My ‘35 Commander sedan  has a rubber mat (in the front— carpet in the rear seat area)  and the ‘37 President Coupe I once owned had a rubber mat and they are both more up-scale than a Dictator. I don’t have a dog in this race, but I’m kind of curious

Tom

Yes most had a rubber front and carpet rear.  My 41s are that way.  And I know that 33 and earlier were rubber.  Here is a photo of a 37 rubber mat. 

Bill

As you know John can do great work when he feels like it.  He has had my 32 mat for 2 1/2 years with no results.  He already has the mold pattern for your coupe.  Just need to be in the mood I guess. 

His cell phone number is 860 2050441  Good luck.

Rex

• 3 years later...

I am just starting the restoration on my 36 dictator coupe. Could someone share terry fryes contact info as I have a lot of questions. Also do you have any patterns drawn up on the floor? I would like to keep my car as original as possible but have people telling me to build a steel floor. Thanks for all the help!

20230308_103456.jpg

20230308_103545.jpg