56 Buick special manual gearbox issue

Derek56

11 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

It's frustrating!  Drop the drain plug and let it all drain out. The torque ball should be filled by now. Check the 56 manual for capacity on the 40 series.  I'm inclined to believe it calls for 7/8 pint. Keep the faith!

Will pass this on to the garage thanks

17 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

It's frustrating!  Drop the drain plug and let it all drain out. The torque ball should be filled by now. Check the 56 manual for capacity on the 40 series.  I'm inclined to believe it calls for 7/8 pint. Keep the faith!

Oil is out there was 11/2 pints left in it has 6 bolts on the top 🤔

611B4D16-144C-4984-88EB-A73184A0312B.jpeg

So by the manual the 6 bolt(which you have) for the 56 is 2 pints plus 1/2 pint in the torque ball.   Does the mechanic know how much oil was initially pumped in or filled until it started to drip from the fill hole?  It appears to be seeping from the mating surfaces of the transmission and the bell housing?  Is there a lot of RTV permatex there?  The paper gasket is sufficient without the use of Permatex.   Also, check for any leaks between the tail shaft housing and the gearbox housing.   I have one that leaks there and follows a path down to the sump plug where it finally drips onto the floor.   It mimics a leak at the drain plug.                

20 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

So by the manual the 6 bolt(which you have) for the 56 is 2 pints plus 1/2 pint in the torque ball.   Does the mechanic know how much oil was initially pumped in or filled until it started to drip from the fill hole?  It appears to be seeping from the mating surfaces of the transmission and the bell housing?  Is there a lot of RTV permatex there?  The paper gasket is sufficient without the use of Permatex.   Also, check for any leaks between the tail shaft housing and the gearbox housing.   I have one that leaks there and follows a path down to the sump plug where it finally drips onto the floor.   It mimics a leak at the drain plug.                

We have just drained it all out 1 1/2 pints  were in we have just put in 7/8 pint and it’s still peeing the oil out 😢

Just now, Derek56 said:

We have just drained it all out 1 1/2 pints  were in we have just put in 7/8 pint and it’s still peeing the oil out 😢

It’s 100% coming from the center of the front of the box we can see it coming out 😢

23 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

When the gear box is filled and go through the gears on the lift no oil comes out untill it’s been driving around 

1 hour ago, Derek56 said:

When the gear box is filled and go through the gears on the lift no oil comes out untill it’s been driving around 

While the car is on the lift can some move the clutch pedal in and out?  My thoughts are the throw-out bearing support is moving when the clutch pedal is pushed.  The cork gasket inside getting deformed.  What did the cork gasket look like when the manual was pulled the second time?     

1 minute ago, avgwarhawk said:

While the car is on the lift can some move the clutch pedal in and out?  My thoughts are the throw-out bearing support is moving when the clutch pedal is pushed.  The cork gasket inside getting deformed.  What did the cork gasket look like when the manual was pulled the second time?     

I will speak to the garage tomorrow 

2 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

No oil was passing to the clutch area nothing in the inspection area we Went through all the gears on the lift no oil came out till it was driven under load see attached where oil comes from thinking of sealing it 

73E87E41-7E4E-48C7-9E7E-89E5BEE305EE.jpeg

53 minutes ago, Derek56 said:

Failing that i will be looking for a recon gearbox not likely to find one in uk 

I do not believe finding a reconditioned gearbox is in the cards either.   If I remember correctly, the area you see the oil coming from is a metal cap.  This can be purchased in a small parts kit from Bobsautomobilia.     

The upper left you will see a metal cap cover inside a hole of the case.  The right side does not get covered.  There is a rod that protrudes out of the hole when working the gears.  The bottom is not covered by a metal cap on mine but that does not mean it's right. It just did not leak like your.  It appears perhaps a metal cap is needed there where it is leaking. 

IMG_20200824_173444.jpg

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

I do not believe finding a reconditioned gearbox is in the cards either.   If I remember correctly, the area you see the oil coming from is a metal cap.  This can be purchased in a small parts kit from Bobsautomobilia.     

Would this kit do 

B3DBE9EC-EF9F-4ED0-8433-2EB275D3807A.png

2 hours ago, critterpainter said:

That shaft only SHOULD go in one way. it is slightly larger on one end if I recall correctly.  Bottom line.  YES it is ok to Clean it well and silicon the end to stop the leak.   Only other choice is to remove and analyze whats going on.    Shaft or case may have wear there 

Cheers for that info will be sealing this morning 👍

1 hour ago, avgwarhawk said:

I have the small parts kit. Let me take a look and see if the metal cap is in the kit. 

The garage sealed it up last night I drove it this morning didn’t leak first drive and when I took it to it’s storage place it’s now leaking a small bit around the sealent 😢 do you think the box will have to come out for the 4th time to fit the seal ?

6A8982C7-8869-460D-9F2C-E5DCA6E82137.jpeg

Well, is it much improved to what was dripping before the sealant?   If so, maybe clean up the oil that did get on the case and apply more sealant in that area were it leaked some possibly stopping it for good.   Drive it and think about removing later.   What is good here is positively identifying were the leak is coming from.    Further, the entire transmission does not need to come out.   Just moved back enough to drive in the metal cover.       

2 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Well, is it much improved to what was dripping before the sealant?   If so, maybe clean up the oil that did get on the case and apply more sealant in that area were it leaked some possibly stopping it for good.   Drive it and think about removing later.   What is good here is positively identifying were the leak is coming from.    Further, the entire transmission does not need to come out.   Just moved back enough to drive in the metal cover.       

Going to drive it on Sunday to a car show see what happens I can cope with a small drip for a while then see about cap if you think it will do the job if not it will be sealant. At least I can use it without a big puddle 😂 

2 minutes ago, Derek56 said:

Going to drive it on Sunday to a car show see what happens I can cope with a small drip for a while then see about cap if you think it will do the job if not it will be sealant. At least I can use it without a big puddle 😂 

I'm ok with a minor drip or two as well.   Mine does drip from time to time.  I don't concern myself with it and drive.  

16 minutes ago, critterpainter said:

Is the gasket in place between the transmission and the bell housing? If that is missing it could allow some other minor leakage.

Yes the gasket is there and has a light sealant on it. The oil is definitely coming from the area  as shown below

27E1259B-03D7-4AD7-A367-11D4C5C454E1.jpeg

On 8/25/2020 at 4:52 PM, avgwarhawk said:

I'm ok with a minor drip or two as well.   Mine does drip from time to time.  I don't concern myself with it and drive.  

Hi did you get a chance to see if that shaft cover was in the kit cheers

19 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

Derek, the cover is not in the kit. I suspect making a circular cover of steel would not be too difficult. 

Ok cool I’ve put a layer of sealing tape on and it has stopped it at the moment will look into a Better fix later thanks

• Like 1